neck turning

bramble basher

hi all

have been giving some thought to trying neck turning and would appreciate some advice on getting started like.

~ which tools to use

~ best place to buy said tools (uk prefferd)

~ rough cost of setup

~ anything else i might need to know

cheers simon :lol:

if you have a search in the reloading section of the forum this has been covered quite a bit

if you need links let me know

Hi BB my best advice is to find someone that can show you on a one to one what to do and chat about where best to get your kit etc. Neck turning like anything else in life is quite simple once you have been shown the ropes and a lot of very careful measurements have to be undertaken, getting it wrong can be very dangerous.There are many write ups to be found on this site and various makes of kit and suppliers that people use,may I suggest Norman Clarke for one?

You may be able to pick up some second hand gear but this would probably be rare unless someone is selling up.In addition to the neck turning tools you will need a good quality micrometer at least and if you are going this far I would suggest you should also be thinking about quality reloading gear as well especially dies like redding,wilson etc to ensure accurate and repeatable assembly.Just some of my thoughts on this and if you get stuck feel free to phone me if you like,I have sent you a PM.cheers onehole.

its not hard to do ,in fact its very easy to do once you know how .but remember once you have taken matal off you can not put it back on again .you will lose a few cases playing and setting up your neck turner ..trim cases first ..buy a drill holder which makes this slow job a lot lot faster and easer to do ..does neck turning help in making your group size smaller ..id say yes ,even in a factory rifle ..

A lot of people say its not worth neck turning for a factory rifle as it cant utilise the possible accuracy potential or out in the field you dont need that kind of accurate ammo, i disagree.

IMO its is your duty to feed your rifle the best ammunition you can get and that usually means handloading and part of that is to produce quality consistant ammunition.

Neck turning does not have a lot of influence on accuracy potential of a rifle but what it does do is enhance that potential as part of a handloading regime producing consistant ammunition, which to me is the key to good shooting.

It is also a good confidence booster knowing that your shots are going where you want them to time aftre time after time, without any unexpected flyers that you cant put down to driver error or poor quality ammo.

Ian.

A lot of people say its not worth neck turning for a factory rifle as it cant utilise the possible accuracy potential or out in the field you dont need that kind of accurate ammo, i disagree.

IMO its is your duty to feed your rifle the best ammunition you can get and that usually means handloading and part of that is to produce quality consistant ammunition.

Neck turning does not have a lot of influence on accuracy potential of a rifle but what it does do is enhance that potential as part of a handloading regime producing consistant ammunition, which to me is the key to good shooting.

It is also a good confidence booster knowing that your shots are going where you want them to time aftre time after time, without any unexpected flyers that you cant put down to driver error or poor quality ammo.

Ian.

absolultey bang on the money with that statement

I wish i hadent bothered to be honest with a tight neck chamber seems more hassle then it was worth!

all my 243ai brass is pretty fubar'd & to sort i need to spend on new brass & a neck turn kit/or have someone turn down my brass ;) Doh!

in hind sight & the fact its no more acurate then my no neck turn rifle ill not bother again!

anyone want to turn some 243ai brass for cash?? :D;)

Cheers Andy

yea ill do it for you

how much is there to do?

no cash needed either

Tend to agree Skany! just! I have a TRG 308 that will group with my PPC sometimes but I also have a PPC,6BR and a 6.5/47 that I have to neck turn for and they will group all of the time off a bench but in the real world you probably just dont need the hassle! lets go shoot,wind will mess you up a heep more! cheers Onehole.

I opted for no neckturn chambers on the last two barrels I had done (6mmBR and .243AI), have to say they both shoot extremely well for the type of use I give them. Some of the guys you talk to say they wished they hadn't bothered with the tight necks they had on their builds.

I have to say I haven't really come across a rifle that won't shoot better than I do with decent ammunition so I long ago decided that neckturning would be wasted on me.

Always a pleasure to watch somebody shoot well with ammunition they have put the time and effort into though.

Although I don't neckturn I can still bugger things up, I loaded 50 rounds of .243 with 43.5gr of Viht 160 to fireform some more cases for my Ackley only to find that as a reasonable deer load during most parts of the year, they're too warm in the new barrel at the moment so have 50 rounds to pull and drop a couple of grains of powder to carry on producing Ackley cases, bugger!

Do you want that job as well Spud?

Pete.

Guest varmartin

Andy ...I can see it now.........The next awesome long range shot you pull off, you will be saying ...yep...a friend neck turned them for me .!!...LOL

As a foot note ......I turned 100x 6mm BR Lapua brass 3 years ago......took 3 hours and never lost a case .....still shooting it now.

I think it is worth doing .

I have neck-turned brass, or not, for the last 30 + years. I have only seen concrete benefit in weapons that required neck turning. I have never seen an advantage in a common, factory sporting rifle chamber, ever, unless the brass was reformed from a different cartridge -but then we're back to the necessity angle. I am happy not turning brass unless I most certainly have to. JMHO ~Andrew

Archived