Ultrasonic Cleaning-Taken the plunge!!!

n8ess

I've taken the plunge and bought an ultrasonic cleaner, initial results are promising with the carbon being fully removed after 30 minutes in the bath, I am trying a few other recipes to try and improve the finish of the case. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I could ideally do with de-capping and sonic cleaning before I resize, at the moment I am cleaning the cases with the primer in place, then cleaning again after re-sizing.

Is there another way of de-capping without re-sizing, I know I could get a de-capping die, but I wondered if there was another way before i go down that route.

Cheers

Neil

I've taken the plunge and bought an ultrasonic cleaner, initial results are promising with the carbon being fully removed after 30 minutes in the bath, I am trying a few other recipes to try and improve the finish of the case. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I could ideally do with de-capping and sonic cleaning before I resize, at the moment I am cleaning the cases with the primer in place, then cleaning again after re-sizing.

Is there another way of de-capping without re-sizing, I know I could get a de-capping die, but I wondered if there was another way before i go down that route.

Cheers

Neil

One of the ways i de-cap is to remove the de-capping rod from a redding die and use a small hammer to tap the primers out. Another way is to run the de-capping rod right down in the die and 9 times out of ten it will pop the primer before the neck is sized (assuming you use a neck die that is). Another way would be to use a neck ie from a larger callibre. "ie" for a 22.250 use a 308 neck die with the de-cap rod down as far as it will go.

Ads

One of the ways i de-cap is to remove the de-capping rod from a redding die and use a small hammer to tap the primers out. Another way is to run the de-capping rod right down in the die and 9 times out of ten it will pop the primer before the neck is sized (assuming you use a neck die that is). Another way would be to use a neck ie from a larger callibre. "ie" for a 22.250 use a 308 neck die with the de-cap rod down as far as it will go.

Ads

I don't neck size only at the moment, but its something I was looking to do anyway, I am assuming even if I used a larger die the de-cap rod would be too large as the flash hole on my BR is .060"

I think I will order a neck die anyway and give that a go. Do you know who would have a Redding neck die in stock?

Cheers

Neil

I would have thought reloading solutions would stock that. What make of full length die do you use ?.

Ads

I would have thought reloading solutions would stock that. What make of full length die do you use ?.

Ads

Hi Ads, I have redding dies, do you know if they sell a de-cap on its own?

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

What ultra sonic cleaner did you do for? My 20 year old unit has just cooked and I need to replace it. Evilbay has thousands so advice would be great.

cheers

Dave

http://www.jamesproducts.co.uk/domestic.html

i use one of these, the ultra 7000, works very well.

(just right for cleaning the brass for my new T3 :lol: )

Thats it then?

I feel a competition coming on for who can find the best cleaning concoction :lol::lol::lol:

May the best man win

or woman ;)

I'm using the recipe from 6mmbr.com was working well until my cleaner died on me.

on 6mmbr you say i'll have a butchers laters]

Whilst i think these cleaners do a sterling job i just dont think i could be arsed with spending nearly 50 mins cleaning cases. Combined with another 50 mins reloading them to shoot !!! :lol: sod that.....

I had a brand new batch of PPC cases that had been fire formed but that was it. I decided to do a wee test of my own. I de-burred the flash holes and chamfered the necks inside and out but i missed out the primer pocket uniforming. Initial findings with a known very accurate load (typical PPC) was that primer pocket uniforming made no difference to accuracy(infact i am convinced it speeds up slack primers). For reloading all i done was polish the necks with wire wool inside and out and scraped out the primer pocket with a flat screw driver tip then reloaded as usual. After about 5 reloadings this way the accuracy is still the same. Proving certainly in my PPC that primer pockets dont need uniforming nor do they need to be imaculate between loadings.

Personnely with my PPC if i was to ###### about cleaning and polishing brass everytime i would be at the reloading table every spare moment i have. I have put 200 rounds through her in 10 days, loading batches of 50 at a time.

Ads

JMO though.

There are some that load to shoot, and some that shoot to load. I tried some cases that had the ultrasonic treatment and found no improvement in their performance whatsoever. Nice to look at once I'd banged them through the tumbler again to restore that as new lustre that tumbled cases have.

I won't knock it though, if you have the time for perfecting cases in this fashion fair play to you. I'd rather spend my time in the field with my rifle in my hands.

It's been said before, but live quarry tends not to hang about like paper and more real world shooting at targets in the field noting wind, humidity, distance, inclines etc. would be of more benefit than trying to squeeze another .1 out of groups shot at 100yds under benchrest conditions.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy loading but you can tit about finding that perfect load in the winter only to find that summer temps. make it almost unsafe.

Everyday the temperature changes and must have some effect on the loads that appeared perfect on the day you shot a oneholer and six months down the line stand scratching your head as to why you can't repeat that group and wonder is it down to different bullet batch, powder batch, primers, copper fouling etc. etc.

My mate thinks I'm anal because I like my hunting rifles to be able to maintain sub 1/2" year round, me, I just load to shoot and take my hat off to those that want to spend their life at the bench searching for that holy grail "the perfect load".

Pete.

hear, hear, what menial said :lol:

If shooting in the field is the name of the game then more shooting is more productive than perfect loading.

The wind don't care whether them loads took 2 minutes or 2 days to put together.

received mine today from maplin electronics and its going back tomoorow the bastards had sent me one thats been already used :D:blush::blink::blink::blink: should get a replacement tommorow

so what is the best solotion to use as i havent got a clue?

50% white vinegar and 2 teaspoons of bi-carb soda clean the cases very well with a 30 minute run. I tried to add liquid brasso to if it would polish the cases at the same time but it doesn't mix well with the vinegar.

Give them a quick rinse and leave them to dry

Job done

50% white vinegar and 2 teaspoons of bi-carb soda clean the cases very well with a 30 minute run. I tried to add liquid brasso to if it would polish the cases at the same time but it doesn't mix well with the vinegar.

Give them a quick rinse and leave them to dry

Job done

is air drying enough do you thin?

when i put in a second load to be cleaned do i need to make up a fresh solotion?

I rinse in clean water then shake out any excess water and put them on a paper towel to dry overnight.

I have cleaned 150 cases with same solution, doing about 15 at a time, if you try to clean too many at a time the brass absorbs the waves and it takes longer to clean.

Cheers

Neil

I rinse in clean water then shake out any excess water and put them on a paper towel to dry overnight.

I have cleaned 150 cases with same solution, doing about 15 at a time, if you try to clean too many at a time the brass absorbs the waves and it takes longer to clean.

Cheers

Neil

cheers neil if i get a chance tomoorow dinner time and the replacements arrives i ll have a go

Archived