What dies?

Rickyd

I’m getting started with reloading. It’s a bit of a minefield with what to buy. So far I have tumbler, n555, 140g eldm, hornady cases and a co-ax. I’m looking at dies, I’ve read that redding does some good ones. However there’s quite a few to choose from? It’s for a AI atx 6.5 creedmoor. I want something good quality which will give good no nonsense results. What would you recommend? I’m lost with “full length” “neck sizing”  “bullet seating” 

Whidden, Redding, Forster, all good.  I prefer bushing dies so you can alter the neck tension somewhat.

Don't bother with neck sizing dies as at some point you will need to full length size, so just do that every time, although that doesn't mean following the normal instruction of letting the shell holder hit the base of the die as you may oversize the cases and cause premature wear.   You just need to size enough so the cases fit the chamber without excessive slop, so trial and error is a good way to start, leave say a 1/16" between the shellholder and die and try the case in the rifle.   LIkely, it won't fit very easily without excessive pressure on the bolt handle so turn the die a fraction more and try again, until the case will fit with just slight resistance.    All dies and chambers are slightly different so depending on the relative sizes it may be very easy or hard to get that type of fit and choosing the correct fit can come down to experience which you don't have.      Cases can also take two or three firings to fully form to your chamber which can complicate things.      If you know someone who is an experienced reloader see if they would mentor you for the first few steps to guide you.    If they use the same cartridge it may be worth trying their dies to make sure that manufacturers sizing die will work with your chamber, which if a factory rifle they should.    I would get at least one reloading manual to read through which will give valuable information on the processes you will be following.    

It can be a little confusing at the start but the more you get into it the easier it becomes.

Of the three dies you mentioned 2 are very similar and 1 is a requirement.
Neck sizing does exactly that, it sizes just the neck so that you can grip the bullet in a case that already fits your guns chamber. A full length die sizes the whole case including setting it's length, shoulder position and neck diameter, in doing so it 'works' the brass a little more than just sizing the neck. The full sizing die resizes to SAAMi specification and allows you a little jiggle room depending on how high you set the die in your press. Often a full length die incorporates a de-capping pin that pushes out the old primer as part of the single operation.
The only external operation you may need to do is occasionally measure the length of the case and trim it a little to get it back into spec.

The bullet seating die is just that, it allows you to seat the bullet in the neck and has adjustment so you can set the overal cartridge length to suit your chamber and or to change the seating depth of the bullet to generate more, or less, 'jump'.

To measure these things you will need a reasonable quality vernier caliper (to start with eBay is your friend here) and bullet comparator inserts to suit your bullets.
Hornady make these (there are others).

There are several 'makes' of dies out there.

Lee and RCBS and Hornady the main players. I like RCBS, they are basic and rugged and not expensive.
You possibly could wear one out but it would take thousands and thousands of operations so second hand/used ones are (IMO) the way to go.

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/buy-rcbs-full-length-die-set

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/products/comparator-set-with-six-calibre-inserts

I agree @Leeman and get at least one reloading manual.
Also spend some time looking at videos on Youtube.

cartridge.thumb.png.74f72edc789c1a7d2ada98f3bbb2ae1f.png

13 hours ago, Rickyd said:

I’m getting started with reloading. It’s a bit of a minefield with what to buy. So far I have tumbler, n555, 140g eldm, hornady cases and a co-ax. I’m looking at dies, I’ve read that redding does some good ones. However there’s quite a few to choose from? It’s for a AI atx 6.5 creedmoor. I want something good quality which will give good no nonsense results. What would you recommend? I’m lost with “full length” “neck sizing”  “bullet seating” 

I'd say the most important thing is a good reloading manual and/or attend a course.  The Lyman manual is excellent.

Rickyyd

This book, IMHO, is by far and away the best literature you can purchase at your stage in relaoding. I found it essential and complimentary to all the other literature available, simple to understand, and takes you through each step as you progress - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABCs-Reloading-10th-Definitive-Novice/dp/1951115279 ..buy it, you will not be disappointed

As for dies and all the rest of the equipment you'll need keep it as inexpensive as you possibly can. As for bushing dies? I would not recommend bushing dies for a beginner; and even if or when you do progress to the bushing dies, and should you decide on purchasing Redding dies, change the lock rings to either Forster, Hornady, or RCBS, lockrings - (don't say you haven't been warned)

For a beginner there is absolutely nothing wrong with 'Lee' equipment (although their scales is a bit iffy) Lee gear will get you started inexpensively, and should you decide to neck-size your brass the Lee collect die is 'must' purchase. The Lee manual is also another excellent font of wisdom and infomation.

However, ff you want to dig a bit deeper in your pocket a Forster standard die set will get you started perfectly

One day you might progress to 'Short Action Custom' dies...just one of these dies fits all the cartrides I use these days, and is the best I have ever used

But whatever you decide on, keep it simple and enjoy!

ATB