HMR any better than before

Drew 3

Hi all, had a .17 HMR around 12 years ago. Gave up on the calibre as the quality of the 17 grain bullets was terrible, splitting cases, flyers, you’ve all heard the stories before. My question is, have the ammunition problems been sorted now and the HMR worth returning to for those longer range rabbits and occasional short range fox? Or are the ammunition issues still the same. 

this is a question iv always wanted answered . as really it in the hands of the ammo manufacturers . i wish it was sorted as these little rifles have a place in a varminters cabinet , i miss mine . light , well moderated , accurate a perfect little magpie basher . i had 2 hmrs and i loved the caliber . i still remember the magazine that had a rite up on the ruger on this new exciting caliber / wish id kept it . that was before id got my fac . but i knew that was the caliber i was going to get . settled on an anshutz 1517 . if they sorted the ammo id consider gettting another . HM2 was also a good lil round but much less popular but very good when moderated i understand . there was a rifle that was like fully shrouded mod on it cant remember what make , not sure if that had the dreaded split cases . any one still have hmr or hm2 ?? all the best gunny . 

Little has changed with.17hmr it just costs more. A lot of the criticism is exaggerated on forums with unrealistic expectations. I think it's no different to anything else, some rifles shoot better than others as if true then all brands are made by one manufacturer. 20gr are more accurate than 17gr same as found with other .17 calibres. Split cases is result of size of barrel chamber. No split cases with cz457 the same round Will split In sako quad. Same accuracy regardless of split cases and some rifles are more accurate than others. Always been that way whatever IMHO.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Think I’m going to give the little calibre another try. Looking for either a CZ 457 or Anchutz 1517. Think I’ll also be using the 20 grain HP’s if they shoot the best.