I've been told that the Applied Ballistics data is the canine genitalia and the Kestrel 5700 Elite is the way to go, but knocking on the door of seven hundred beer tokens, are they really THAT much better than a tenners worth of Strelok Pro app that has been part of my iPhone ever since I started shooting?

I'm also deciding whether to buy a copy of QuickLoad, but again it's far from free with a gallon of four star.

What do we think? Are these snake oil to part the gullible from their hard earned or actually money well spent?

I've just made the jump into a Kestrel 5700 Elite from using Strelok and Hornady 4DoF.

Got fed up of being let down by apps crashing and not being able to update etc. 

My decision was made up when watching a 'Masterclass' video on the 5700 Elite on YouTube and I was quite impressed with some of the stuff you can do on it... YOU CAN EVEN PLAY SNAKE! 

I'm looking forward to getting everything set up for my rifles and tested at the next match.

6 minutes ago, JCalleja91 said:

I've just made the jump into a Kestrel 5700 Elite from using Strelok and Hornady 4DoF.

Got fed up of being let down by apps crashing and not being able to update etc. 

My decision was made up when watching a 'Masterclass' video on the 5700 Elite on YouTube and I was quite impressed with some of the stuff you can do on it... YOU CAN EVEN PLAY SNAKE! 

I'm looking forward to getting everything set up for my rifles and tested at the next match.

Which masterclass video did you watch? I’ve just bought the kestrel and a quick start you be handy. 

HAving watched a lot of that, the stand out Achilles heel seems to be having to input a shed load of data with a small number of buttons and the screen is tiny considering how much data one is looking to view. Is the video representative or can you bang majority of the data in on a tablet, PC or phone in advance? The video made it look far from user friendly to me? For so much money I would want something pretty close to perfection.

The AB iPhone app gets quite a slagging in the APP Store, but on the face of it tethering a weather station to what is effectively a powerful mobile computer seems the obvious way to go?  

I use 'Applied Ballistics' app (cheap and simple) and a bog standard Kestrel for close wind and experience for down range wind.  No problems so far.  A little bit of pre-planning for G7 data (readily available).  I've tried other apps and they all do roughly the same thing.

There's no substitute for developing your own dope,  I keep a log book and irrespective of weather conditions ballistic settings for drop are usually close.  For example I dialled my previous settings at my last Eskdalemuir outing in February and first shot hit at 1550 with .338LM.  That'll do.

Elevation is physics and amenable to calculation however windage is part physics part black art.  There's no substitute for developing the necessary wind-reading skills.  Unfortunately field ranges like Eskdalemuir have next to no wind indicators  - the best usually being your (or your mate's) last shots.   I'm yet to see anyone achieve much with taking a wind reading at the firing point and nothing further for +1000yds!

With regard to Quick Load,  I have just purchased a copy and find it useful when considering a new powder.  Is it 'invaluable'?  Not in my opinion.  It's also only as good as the data you enter - I've just run some 5.56 simulations and the QL data for NATO brass and Sierra MK dimensions do not line up with actual measurements of components in hand so inputting one's own data is necessary.

By the way Ralph, are you going to the Stafford Classic Bike show on Saturday 20th ? 

58 minutes ago, Ralpharama said:

HAving watched a lot of that, the stand out Achilles heel seems to be having to input a shed load of data with a small number of buttons and the screen is tiny considering how much data one is looking to view. Is the video representative or can you bang majority of the data in on a tablet, PC or phone in advance? The video made it look far from user friendly to me? For so much money I would want something pretty close to perfection.

The AB iPhone app gets quite a slagging in the APP Store, but on the face of it tethering a weather station to what is effectively a powerful mobile computer seems the obvious way to go?  

So I'd agree they are quite simple in design.. but then is suppose they are built for more than the likes of us sat on a range.

You can build and sync all of your rifle data from your phone using the Kestrel Link App which didn't take me long at all.

58 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

I use 'Applied Ballistics' app (cheap and simple) and a bog standard Kestrel for close wind and experience for down range wind.  No problems so far.  A little bit of pre-planning for G7 data (readily available).  I've tried other apps and they all do roughly the same thing.

There's no substitute for developing your own dope,  I keep a log book and irrespective of weather conditions ballistic settings for drop are usually close.  For example I dialled my previous settings at my last Eskdalemuir outing in February and first shot hit at 1550 with .338LM.  That'll do.

Elevation is physics and amenable to calculation however windage is part physics part black art.  There's no substitute for developing the necessary wind-reading skills.  Unfortunately field ranges like Eskdalemuir have next to no wind indicators  - the best usually being your (or your mate's) last shots.   I'm yet to see anyone achieve much with taking a wind reading at the firing point and nothing further for +1000yds!

With regard to Quick Load,  I have just purchased a copy and find it useful when considering a new powder.  Is it 'invaluable'?  Not in my opinion.  It's also only as good as the data you enter - I've just run some 5.56 simulations and the QL data for NATO brass and Sierra MK dimensions do not line up with actual measurements of components in hand so inputting one's own data is necessary.

By the way Ralph, are you going to the Stafford Classic Bike show on Saturday 20th ? 

I’m not a great lover of shows and only go to the CMM show in October as I feel I should as a contributor and also to see the boys in the Z1OC. Sometimes I get roped into sticking a bike in the club stand. on the twentieth I’ll be playing with my No4 and .223 at Bulford with the fine lads at Wessex. 
DVLA have finally given in and allowed me historic status on The Beast (Z1300) so she’ll be getting plenty of outings this summer :) 

You going to the October show?

39 minutes ago, Ralpharama said:

I’m not a great lover of shows and only go to the CMM show in October as I feel I should as a contributor and also to see the boys in the Z1OC. Sometimes I get roped into sticking a bike in the club stand. on the twentieth I’ll be playing with my No4 and .223 at Bulford with the fine lads at Wessex. 
DVLA have finally given in and allowed me historic status on The Beast (Z1300) so she’ll be getting plenty of outings this summer :) 

You going to the October show?

Hope to.

6 hours ago, Ralpharama said:

One good thing about Strelok Pro is it can be run on a PC using an emulator. This allows lots of easy data entry and data verification. Secondly, Strelok Pro is not short of scope reticle profiles or .22 LR data. 

Regards

JCS

10 hours ago, jcampbellsmith said:

One good thing about Strelok Pro is it can be run on a PC using an emulator. This allows lots of easy data entry and data verification. Secondly, Strelok Pro is not short of scope reticle profiles or .22 LR data. 

Regards

JCS

Emulator? Would it work on a Mac as well?

14 minutes ago, Geezedtee said:

Emulator? Would it work on a Mac as well?

Android phone apps will run on BlueStacks and there's a version for Mac OS.   However I found it better to dual-boot my MacBook and run Android on Windows 10.  I had to set this up to run Quick Load anyway.