Unreasonable or Not?

My shooting buddy and i turned up for some bunny bashing this morning on our new permission (10days old) and before we could say good morning the farmer flew off the handle, ranted and raged and pulled the permission to shoot on his land ;)

He raged that we had not shot enough rabbits and crows since gaining the permission and he has got someone lined up who will do a proper job.

The land got cleared last wednesday and on the four occaisions that i attended the property (My buddy did not even get a shot as he was on holiday last week!!) i shot just over 50 rabbits and several crows even though the crows that had been hitting his spring barly had already f----d off.

I got the feeling expected us to attend every day and when we didnt he went off on one.

When the farmer gave permission we made it clear that we are not a proffessional pest control outfit just a couple of sport shooters willing to help with vermin and pest control.

Do you guys think i did a good enough job or was the farmer being totally unreasonable?

I am not a happy man cos i dont think i have done anything wrong ;)

Ian

If there was no aggreement as to how often / how many kills you make I would suggest that he is being a smigeon unreasonable.

It may be that some "kind soul" has offered the guy some cash in exchange for shooting and he has flown of the handle in an attempt to move you on.

If youre getting hassle after ten days, I would say fxxx it and not bother anyway - sounds like more trouble than its worth..especially when you are just doing it for relaxation.

Ian,

If your farmer is that minded, you're better off out of it. Some time or other his attitude could lead to problems for you, I've seen it happen previously. From past experience, either he's had a better offer with money changing hands or he didn't really want you there in the first place(wifely pressure?). Draw from the experience for the future. My philosophy with that sort of situation is that it's his land and he can do as he wishes, so forget about it and move on.

There is a large farm, between two of my permissions, where the landowner does not allow shooting. However, I have called and shot many foxes off his land onto mine over the years so am effectively shooting his land. All I do is stick the lamp over the boundary in various places, when I spot a fox, retire to the middle of my field, sit down, call, and when charlie pops over the hedge on my side, he's mine.

Peter

Ian, I would say you are much better off without the land, given the attitude the farmer demonstrated it would not be beyond the bounds of possibility that the next time he found a dead sheep or damaged fence you would get the blame for it.

David

All though its a shame when you only just have gained permission.

I think if he is like that now you probably will save yourself a lot of grief in the future.

Look on the bright side as one door closes often another opens.

A shame non the less.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry to hear about this Ian!!! ;) ;)

Like the guys have said , if he unreasonable now - what happens if someone poaches on his land and kills one of his livestock!! , you could end up with the brunt!!!

I have always looked at it this way , we are very fortunate that they let us shoot on there land ( fantastic ) , but heres the other thing , we do it for no charge - day or night / it costs us petrol and ammo!!! ( which we are happy with because we enjoy our hobby )...

So i think they have to be realistic about it , in that we help each other!! - keeps things in harmony that way!!!

So best thing is Ian , stuff the silly sod because one day he will probably need your help and you don't need the hassle of not knowing what mood he is in!!!

All the best.........................

RAY............................................... ;) ;)

Thanks for that guys i thought as much.

The thing that shocked us was the complete reversal of his personallity, saying he had a Jekyl and Hyde complex would be an understatement, we were stunned into silence, he seemed such a nice guy when we got the permission slip signed.

I spoke to my FEO and he advised straightaway to send a letter in to the office explaining that the permission had been withdrawn, this way we will be covered in the event of any kind of unsubstantiated complaints.

Ian.

Thats a bit of a blow Ian but it does sound like either the guys two bricks short of a full load or you caught him on a bad day. We all have bad days and it might be an idea to go back and see him and just explain what you have shot and when you have been on the ground. If he blows up again then just thank him for his time etc and walk away.

Personally I would have said that if anything you had been overdoing it. Did the guy say he wanted you there every day?, I assume not as you have not mentioned it. Might be an idea for your FEO to give him a ring and advise that the land had not been approved untill last week, I think he would do that.

Dont quite know what he expected you to do.

Sorry mate,

A

keep your head held high mate and just walk away whilst under your breadth swearing at him

as already said it may be a good thing in the long run

Thanks for that guys i thought as much.

The thing that shocked us was the complete reversal of his personallity, saying he had a Jekyl and Hyde complex would be an understatement, we were stunned into silence, he seemed such a nice guy when we got the permission slip signed.

I spoke to my FEO and he advised straightaway to send a letter in to the office explaining that the permission had been withdrawn, this way we will be covered in the event of any kind of unsubstantiated complaints.

Ian.

Agree on the letter to cover your back you never know when something could prop up and the office could say why was permission revoked on such and such...?

better of steering clear of types like that...... trouble i'd say....

i tell all my permission i will do my best for them, and the ones i get hassle from i just don't shoot as much on,

he should of been greatfull for the ammount you did shoot....

chin up ....

• 2 weeks later...

I'd walk away and let the better bloke take over. 50 bunnies is pretty good going in my view so he's going to have to find someone pretty keen to beat that on a regular basis! It's a bit of a blow but I've walked from permissions in the past when land owners take the wrong attitude. They may help us but we offer a good free service to them too. It works both ways. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

You can't win them all Ian.

Depends if you have other land to shoot on but presumung you have just walk away.

Archived