Be careful what you are posting on the internet

londonhunter

I just had a visit from my FLO for my renew and everything went smoothly so I am OK for the next 05 years.

At the end of the meeting we were chatting casually and he started to talk about a fellow shooter on his beat who's F.A.C. have been revoked because of a "domestic incident."

Of course I am not privi to more details.

What got me to post this thread is the fact that this officer said his department managed to get a court order to obtain all electronic communications by this person in the past 05 years. The intention is to build a case that he has a violent streak in him. He then said this person have been posting liberally on various shooting forums stating how much he enjoyed bashing deers, fox and rabbits.

Knowing we live in a P.C. society these days and knowing what I know now, I will be very careful about my posting from now on.

This can happen to any one of us and they are using posting dating back 05 years to do a charactor assisination ......................

I feel sorry for this individaul who ever he is.

We just have to watch our backs now ................................BIG brother is watching

No wonder people have nervous breakdowns if they increasingly can't release/vent frustrations on such forums!

No wonder people have nervous breakdowns if they increasingly can't release/vent frustrations on such forums!

Can you imagine if I put here I feel low because of the economical downturn they can turn around and say I have depression and I did not declare it at the renewal....................

What kind of world we are living in ???

Can I ask the forum moderators ..

How long do you keep records of postings.

Knowing this can be used against us one day should we not delete posting which have gone past a certain date line?

just a thought as self defence. If they play dirty so can we NO ?

I'm not sure if deleting posts would make much difference. I know that GCHQ now keep copies of all emails for a few years, regardless of whether you delete them or not in your inbox. Applying the same principle it's likely that such postings are intercepted and recorded elsewhere - hence deleting postings wouldn't help.

I'm not sure if deleting posts would make much difference. I know that GCHQ now keep copies of all emails for a few years, regardless of whether you delete them or not in your inbox. Applying the same principle it's likely that such postings are intercepted and recorded elsewhere - hence deleting postings wouldn't help.

In that case let it be on record

that I do not enjoy my shooting. I am just doing a job here vermin control and deer manageement. I am a boring person and I have a boring life. I am an atheist and I do not support the BNP. I love my country and I approve of the war on Iraq........

While I dont moderate here I do elsewhere and have done for some years.

As fas I am aware the posts remain on the system for as long as you can see them. In my DT days when I was also doing site admin I tended to leave them alone so that people could use a search facility on them to find things. Obviously though some I deleted if they contained nothing much of interest. In my current mod job I do not have access to the admin side but I dont think much has changed.

I am afraid we now live in a Big Brother society, just look at the number of camera's everywhere in the name of crime reduction, do they help. very rarely, the criminal just goes elsewhere. No matter what you post or where you post it you can be traced by the authorities if the need arises.

Thats one of the reasons why some of the shooting sites do not want gore pics.

A

I think these FLO mind games are just that.....a psycological frightener to keep you on your toes.

Just a casual mention of some poor FAC holder about to get

an unexpected visit

revocation

"looked at"

investigated

etc

etc

is enough to set off a mexican wave of fear.

if the guy (real or imaginary :wacko:) is not a suitable FAC holder, good take his FAC away

- I can think of a few revocations that did not happen and should have

AndyCM

AndyCM

We can all talk big and know it all. What I cannot convey to you all is the atitide of this FLO's atitude when he was dropping lines casually concerning this case.

If you imagine he had already finished what he needed to discuss with me and was about to leave my house. Then he drop a line saying "BTW Do you post your hunting sotries and pictures on the internet ?" I replied saying I have done so in the past.

He then said I would not if I was you since there is this case going on in the area. That how the whole thing came about.

He was basically being a nice guy soto say "on the shooter's side" and urge me not to do so knowing what is happening in the area. He also disgree with this fact finding mission and stated this is NOT the RIGHT thing to do.

I sense he does not agree with whats going on but have to do it because of orders.

Since my wife has something to do with the legal profession, last night we have had a trow through postings I have made in various forums in the past few months. You can really go to town with them in a court of law- making out I am a bad charactor not worthy of a FAC if they are taken out of context.

I do also agree with you ANdy CM that there are many licences that should have NOT have been granted but nonetheless have been granted.

That brings us back to the same point. Who are we to judge if we do not know the full facts.

For all I know this guy might have blew his top once and was caught out or he is a serious wife hitter

Are we going to excise him the right to bear arms forever ???? for a one off mistake ?

Hands on your heart are you saying you have never lost your temper once in a blue moon and done something or said something you regret ?

What is wrong is that they are going to crusifying him for something he might have posted out years ago out of context. Thats what gets me going mad .................sorry I feel very strongly about this.

AndyCM

We can all talk big and know it all. What I cannot convey to you all is the atitide of this FLO's atitude when he was dropping lines casually concerning this case.

If you imagine he had already finished what he needed to discuss with me and was about to leave my house. Then he drop a line saying "BTW Do you post your hunting sotries and pictures on the internet ?" I replied saying I have done so in the past.

He then said I would not if I was you since there is this case going on in the area. That how the whole thing came about.

He was basically being a nice guy soto say "on the shooter's side" and urge me not to do so knowing what is happening in the area. He also disgree with this fact finding mission and stated this is NOT the RIGHT thing to do.

I sense he does not agree with whats going on but have to do it because of orders.

Since my wife has something to do with the legal profession, last night we have had a trow through postings I have made in various forums in the past few months. You can really go to town with them in a court of law- making out I am a bad charactor not worthy of a FAC if they are taken out of context.

I do also agree with you ANdy CM that there are many licences that should have NOT have been granted but nonetheless have been granted.

That brings us back to the same point. Who are we to judge if we do not know the full facts.

For all I know this guy might have blew his top once and was caught out or he is a serious wife hitter

Are we going to excise him the right to bear arms forever ???? for a one off mistake ?

Hands on your heart are you saying you have never lost your temper once in a blue moon and done something or said something you regret ?

What is wrong is that they are going to crusifying him for something he might have posted out years ago out of context. Thats what gets me going mad .................sorry I feel very strongly about this.

thats all fine and dandy mate but the police must have been looking for something before they found posts he had made, they cant simply walk in to your house and search you pc for the sake of i , they must have had a reason to do so and must have a search warrant

fair play to the police i say, in my eyes if you are worried about posts you have made on a forum may be you should reformat your machine and keep off forums in the future

flo are simply that liason officers they dont make the rules they implement them

If the FLO actually knew what was involved in lawfully accessing such data and obtaining the necessary authorities to present it an evidential format, may I respectfully suggest that he would be an investigator, not a cabinet door rattler.

If the FLO actually knew what was involved in lawfully accessing such data and obtaining the necessary authorities to present it an evidential format, may I respectfully suggest that he would be an investigator, not a cabinet door rattler.

I never meant that and If I did I was wrong. Can you see this demonstrate how dangerours it is being quoted out of context. This is my exact point. This FLO was talking casually and off the records. He was not doing it search but he is aware of it and he is the FLO of this person. Reading between the lines he does not feel comfortable about it but his department is collating the evidence to preapre a case aginst the appeal of the revocation.

Listen guys I am not trying to make trouble by posting this message. I am just sharing what I heard first hand so we should be care what we post. since I can see that one day this will come back to haunt us. NO MATTER HOW kowledgeable or experience you are.

You know once the CPS is onto things they can really twist the facts to suite their intentions......................

thats all I am saying.

A good example is Facebook. I dont use it but my daughter uses it big time. She has photos plastered all over the bet with her friends. Now she regrets it since she is going to graduate and looking for a job as a lawyer soon. Do a google search and there are photos of her with her freinds in a swimsuit !!!!!!!!!!!

I have said what I want to say so I will not feed this thread again. If we dont take notice then if you choice. Of course I will carrying on nonetheless but just be more careful thats all

thanks for the heads up on it any way lh, well just treat it as you meant it meant, a cautionary warning.

I never meant that and If I did I was wrong. Can you see this demonstrate how dangerours it is being quoted out of context. This is my exact point. This FLO was talking casually and off the records. He was not doing it search but he is aware of it and he is the FLO of this person. Reading between the lines he does not feel comfortable about it but his department is collating the evidence to preapre a case aginst the appeal of the revocation.

Listen guys I am not trying to make trouble by posting this message. I am just sharing what I heard first hand so we should be care what we post. since I can see that one day this will come back to haunt us. NO MATTER HOW kowledgeable or experience you are.

You know once the CPS is onto things they can really twist the facts to suite their intentions......................

thats all I am saying.

A good example is Facebook. I dont use it but my daughter uses it big time. She has photos plastered all over the bet with her friends. Now she regrets it since she is going to graduate and looking for a job as a lawyer soon. Do a google search and there are photos of her with her freinds in a swimsuit !!!!!!!!!!!

I have said what I want to say so I will not feed this thread again. If we dont take notice then if you choice. Of course I will carrying on nonetheless but just be more careful thats all

I was under the impression you cant access face book unless the person whos page you are trying access allows you to do so??

Dave

AndyCM

1.For all I know this guy might have blew his top once and was caught out or he is a serious wife hitter

2.Hands on your heart are you saying you have never lost your temper once in a blue moon and done something or said something you regret ?

I'd say that the answer to 1. is yes. If you can lose your rag and hit your wife once, you can do it again if you find her in bed with another bloke and could end up killing someone. If you can hit your mrs or anyone else for any reason other than self defense, you shouldn't be trusted with guns for a long time!

as for 2. I can't say I've never lost my temper, but I can honestly say I've vented it in the least harmful direction when I have. For example I have never hurt anybody because they have p***ed me off or got stroppy with me. It would be easy to do but it's better to stay calm and reasonable or beat up a dustbin if you really must.

If I genuinely believed beyond all doubt that I or someone elses life was in danger I would use my guns to stop it, but again in the mildest manner possible. There's a big difference between kneecappnig someone with my HMR to get them on the floor and away from me to head shooting them with the 6.5x55 so they're gone forever! The latter isn't acceptable.

Reasonable force is the answer to most problems. If a burglar comes at you with a knife and you manage to get to your safe before he gets to you I can't see how any court could convict you for a non lethal shooting. As long as you only aimed to disable them temporarily and have no malicious intent you should be fine.

Any evidence the police can use against the Thomas Hamiltons and Michael Ryans of the world is in favour with me. I don't think they would revoke your FAC for you saying you like to shoot stuff as long as what you are suggesting is legal.

Ooh, I missed that bit. What is it we have to google?? :ph34r::lol:

Archived