Rechambering - recommend me a gunsmith

If I were looking to take a standard factory Tikka T3x 1:8 barrel, chambered in .22-250REM, and have it rechambered in .22-250AI, who would you recommend?

I have approached a number of gunsmiths in the past who haven't seemed keen to take the job on, because reading between the lines, there is more money to be made in trying to sell me a custom barrel!

Easy job

though I’d suggest moving the whole chamber .050” forwards to ensure the throat is freshened up 

The main issue you have is it’s on a T3 which can be notoriously difficult barrels to remove without undercutting the shoulder to relieve tension on the thread

I’ve a 20 ton press and specific contour shells to hold barrels and still find tikka barrels hard to remove unscathed, which is why you have the reluctance of the people you’ve approached I suspect 

I guess it could be done with a custom made thin parting tool (fifteen mins to make on the DBit grinder) - so the undercut is as minimal as possible but you would likely lose .070” of the barrel shoulder in doing so 

No great issue there - though another factor for consideration is the time spent on the job would surmount  to basically the work involved for a Rebarrel (therefore potentially 3-400 plus proof

Afraid I don’t have the 22-250 improved reamer so can’t help 👍🏻

@ronin is right in his reply. 

The work involved is pretty much the same as chambering a fresh barrel and it would require a re-proof. 

Ronin did a straight 22-250 on a T3 for me a few years ago. It shoots 53gr in tiny groups. 

shoot out the current barrel and then get AI on a fresh barrel.

I went with a lothar walther pre-Brexit. Prices have increased but not extortionate. Around £400. 

Did a similar job recently on a 6.5 Creedmoor that a chap had built bt someone - original custom Brux  barrel was re profiled and rechambered to 6.5/284 with some rectification work done to various bits omitted by the previous “skilled worker “ 

Rifle now shoots small groups and accounts for many “harder to reach” deer 

that barrel came off without any issue but factory barrels are quite another thing