what ranges can you kill vermin at with a .223?

just curious at what ranges they are effective as i dont know what calibre to get. maybe a .223 or a 6.5x55 if im allowed one as my first cf, do you think i would get one, also what calibres would you recommend for varmiting & some stalking?

Guest Tiff

Anything in 6.5mm flavour will suit you nicely. As to effective range...depends on how good a shot you are and how much you invest in your kit :D

Anything in 6.5mm flavour will suit you nicely. As to effective range...depends on how good a shot you are and how much you invest in your kit :D

i would wait untill i have enough money to buy a decent setup, then it would be well worth the wait. lol

Well seeing its your first C/F I am not sure what your Firearms Department will let you have for all uses, If you can prove you have the land for fox ,deer and vermin, you may well want to think about the ammo your gonna use in relation to selection of bullet wieghts, the 243 has a great number of sizes starting from 55grn up to 100grn, through this selection you will surely find something that fills all your needs.

I my self have used a 243Win for many years and it is one of my favorite tools, I load my own ammo and its very accurate,

I shoot 58grn Vmax mostely and at a 100yrds its hole on hole,

Dave and my self were doing some filming a few weeks ago for our dvd and I was shooting eggs ,from a standing position at 200yrds shooting off X sticks,

The recoil is sweet and noise isnt bad with a can on the front.

If your goig down the 223 route theres nothing wrong with it out to 300yrds on a good day ,but it just hasnt got the legs for what I want.

Just a word to the wise dont go and buy a brand new rifle out the box , buy tidy second hand for around £350 and have a custom tube stuck on it, it might cost you an extre £150 at the end of the day ,but your gonna have something that will P**S all over a new gun ,unless your spending big bucks.Thats my thoughts on it anyhow :D

Well seeing its your first C/F I am not sure what your Firearms Department will let you have for all uses, If you can prove you have the land for fox ,deer and vermin, you may well want to think about the ammo your gonna use in relation to selection of bullet wieghts, the 243 has a great number of sizes starting from 55grn up to 100grn, through this selection you will surely find something that fills all your needs.

I my self have used a 243Win for many years and it is one of my favorite tools, I load my own ammo and its very accurate,

Dave and my self were doing some filming a few weeks ago for our dvd and I was shooting eggs ,from a standing position at 200yrds shooting off X sticks,

If your goig down the 223 route theres nothing wrong with it out to 300yrds on a good day ,but it just hasnt got the legs for what I want.

Just a word to the wise dont go and buy a brand new rifle out the box , buy tidy second hand for around £350 and have a custom tube stuck on it, it might cost you an extre £150 at the end of the day ,but your gonna have something that will P**S all over a new gun ,unless your spending big bucks.Thats my thoughts on it anyhow :D

thanks for that, so the .243 can shoot a fairway out then can it? i know someone who shoots rabbits at 400-500 yards with it but would it go further if you wanted it to?

well put nem, also the glass on top of the rifle is as, if not more important. i said 243 because it is one hell of a round with plentifull commercial bullets in various loads available

well put nem, also the glass on top of the rifle is as, if not more important. i said 243 because it is one hell of a round with plentifull commercial bullets in various loads available

i was planning on reloading as i have heard that you get better accuracy with reloading and it is also a lot cheaper

Set up with heavy bullets and dialing in, a 223 will do 500-600 yards without a problem. If you're a first time centerfire shooter, the gun will shoot further than you can. A 243 has a bit more oomph and is a serious 1000 yard gun. Again, further than you'll be shooting.

Reloading is cheaper per round, but only after you've done a good few rounds as the cost of the kit will need to be factored in. If you factor in your time (even at minimum wage) you'll not be cheaper. However, reloading is great because you always have the ammo you need and it is tailored for your gun.

If you're looking to shoot foxes and smaller, then the 223 would be a great gun to start on. It is easy on the shoulder, there are plenty of guns chambered for it, and it has more than enough punch to do the job. If I had to thin my arsenal to 2 guns, the 223 would be one (the 22LR the other). If you want to throw deer into the mix, then either get a 243 or a 223 AND a 6.5 of your choice.

Thanks,

Rick

i was planning on reloading as i have heard that you get better accuracy with reloading and it is also a lot cheaper

The latter is certainly true but don't assume you'll exceed factory ammo for accuracy without some effort and experience. The quality of projectiles in factory ammo is apparently way better than it used to be and that alone is a big factor in why it can shoot very well, esp the premium brands.

If you're only going to be firing 100-odd rounds a year, it's probably not worth buying a full set of handloading gear. Nice if you can use a mate's though.. :D

Chris-NZ

longest kill on a fox is 380 yards with my .223 (shot its front legs off, had to hit it with a second shot to finish it off).

lovely calibre, but not if you want to shoot deer as well as foxes - get a .243, get used to it.

The latter is certainly true but don't assume you'll exceed factory ammo for accuracy without some effort and experience. The quality of projectiles in factory ammo is apparently way better than it used to be and that alone is a big factor in why it can shoot very well, esp the premium brands.

If you're only going to be firing 100-odd rounds a year, it's probably not worth buying a full set of handloading gear. Nice if you can use a mate's though.. :D

Chris-NZ

i think i would shoot more than that, lol. i am used to shooting a lot as i am also a competive clay shooter, yesterday i shot off 275 cartridges on 2 hours. i would spend time on the range getting used to how it shot and all that, so i would definatley be shooting more that 100 rounds a year :o

thanks for the comment though, & i do know plenty of people with reloading gear so the would be able to show me what to do for a while

Set up with heavy bullets and dialing in, a 223 will do 500-600 yards without a problem. If you're a first time centerfire shooter, the gun will shoot further than you can. A 243 has a bit more oomph and is a serious 1000 yard gun. Again, further than you'll be shooting.

Reloading is cheaper per round, but only after you've done a good few rounds as the cost of the kit will need to be factored in. If you factor in your time (even at minimum wage) you'll not be cheaper. However, reloading is great because you always have the ammo you need and it is tailored for your gun.

If you're looking to shoot foxes and smaller, then the 223 would be a great gun to start on. It is easy on the shoulder, there are plenty of guns chambered for it, and it has more than enough punch to do the job. If I had to thin my arsenal to 2 guns, the 223 would be one (the 22LR the other). If you want to throw deer into the mix, then either get a 243 or a 223 AND a 6.5 of your choice.

Thanks,

Rick

so you dont reckon that a 6.5 would be much good for all the purposes i want it for then?

so you dont reckon that a 6.5 would be much good for all the purposes i want it for then?

If you are primarily going to be shooting rabbits and foxes, then that is a whole lot of bullet weight and energy (with resulting noise and recoil) for what you need. If you want to think about a 223, 243, and 6.5x55 (the three common rounds you'll probably be considering), all three will be just fine for rabbits and foxes. Why subject yourself to the extra recoil and cost of the bigger guns when the smaller will do just as well? The 223 will use half the powder of either of the others, so twice as many loads per pound of powder. The bullets are a good bit cheaper too. Why beat yourself up with a 243 or 6.5x55 for shooting rabbits and foxes under 300 yards?

I recon that you'll be shooting a lot more rabbits than you will foxes, and a lot more foxes than you will deer. If that is switched around, then the 6.5 is a great tool.

Thanks,

Rick

If you are wanting to shoot vermin i.e. crows, bunny's, etc You'd need to check with your firearms licensing department because they will probably not put the necessary conditions on your fac to enable you to LEGALLY shoot vermin with a caliber much bigger than .223 or .22/250. Around us people have trouble getting 6mm/243 for vermin.

just a thought that might help your decision

thanks for that, so the .243 can shoot a fairway out then can it? i know someone who shoots rabbits at 400-500 yards with it but would it go further if you wanted it to?

Verminator

Please don`t take this the wrong way but be honest it sounds like you want to run before you can walk.

Whatever calibre you`re granted you should get to know the basics at a lot closer ranges than you`re talking about especially if its your first c/f

Extreme range shooting takes a lot of practice,skill and dedication as the boys on here will testify :mad:

Verminator

Please don`t take this the wrong way but be honest it sounds like you want to run before you can walk.

Whatever calibre you`re granted you should get to know the basics at a lot closer ranges than you`re talking about especially if its your first c/f

Extreme range shooting takes a lot of practice,skill and dedication as the boys on here will testify :mad:

exactly right wsm, range comes with exsperience, i know you can read on here abouts us shooting rabbits and critters at ranges out to 500-600 yards but what you dont read about is the 100's possibly 1000's of rounds we have shot at stuff a lot lot closer to get exsperience,

good practice is skulling rabbits or rats for that matter at ranges up to 250 yards they are close but still takes some doing consitantly

Verminator

so i should stick to closer ranges to start with then and get good at that first then move out a bit further? i was going to do that anyway but thanks anyway for that. i think i will get on at that range as i can hit rabbits in the head shots at 100 yards regularly. i have shot hares and rabbits with .270's and .308's at about 200 yards before and loved it.

thanks all for the comments, keep 'em coming

thanks, the verminator

i bet the rabbits love a 308 hitting them

explosive comes to mind

As mentioned above, you want to find out what they will allow you first. Have a good chat with your FEO and find out how they feel.

I was shooting a mates AR15 at Sennybridge some time ago and I could hit the targets just as well with that as I could with his .308 Sako TRG. It goes a long way with a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets!

I've heard a lot of good reports about 6.5mm being a good long range choice, but again it will burn lots of powder and recoil more. For bunnies it's a waste, but for Fox and Deer it's good.

Forces vary on their view of the quarry vs calibre debate. I have a .300 Win Mag slot for Vermin, Fox and Deer yet can't use my .375H&H for Deer at all in the UK! It's all down to the mood of your FEO on the day and his general opinions on the subject. Before you ask for anything big just find out what they'll allow you to have for Vermin!

Been reading the thread with much interest!!!! :D;)

Just a suggestion my friend , how about trying to have a meet up with someone who is experienced in extended range target or vermin shooting!!!

They can set up target boards at differing ranges and you can see how these rifles / loads / people perform in real time conditions!!!

You must practice to get the best out of yourself and your equipment and the thing i most love about this hobby is , you are forever learning!!!! :D;)

You must put quality time in to get quality results!!!!!

If you are stuck you are always welcome to come down to Cornwall to see where we are coming from!!! :D;)

Oh yes , have a look at the " how to do " in the longrange section!!! ( just a little advice :D )

All the best.......................

RAY................................................................. :D :D

After shooting a .223 for varminting (and roe where legal) for few years now it is suprising how good they are,

if you are thinking of getting a .223 then my advice is select one with i 1-9 twist barrel,

i think the remmi PSS has a fast twist ??

the advantage is being able to shoot hevier bullet weights as well as lighter ones,

mine has a 1-9 twist and shoots 75gr Amax very well, it will also shoot 50gr bullets just as good,

but for longer range shots the hevier bullet pays off, every time,

thats what i used on the long range rabbit shooting vids, out to 500yds,

light recoil, good barrel life, what else do you want from a vermin rifle.

john.

thanks for the replies all, just been shooting a shotgun competition at souther counties gun club, the same place as the sportsman gun centre. i loved looking round there, liked the look of the Styer pro hunter, awsome gun, might try and find a second hand one.

varminter, i will ask my mate if i can have ago with his 22-250 and .243 at a bit of distance, see how i get on. i have aready read the how to section and there was lots of useful information.

again, thanks for the replies

Archived