16” 308 itch

JockStalk

I’ve an itch for a short pointy rifle that would be easy to lug about in the woods and handy in and out of the truck. 
Thinking 16” and 308 but open minded on calibre. 
Needs to stop reds up to 300m. 
Thoughts/ anything about? 

I had my Rem700 cut down to 16". My MAE moderator - the long over barrel one - came to within a 1/2" of the stock fore end.

It actually looked very good, balanced well and shot better than before the chop. I was only using it for stalking out to 250m and it worked very well. I didn't notice any loss of performance at those ranges, but it was really handy to carry and use. 

That’s the kind of thing I had in mind. I guess 308 is the classic calibre for a short deer rifle. Any other calibres that are worth a look? I reload for 6.5, is there a 6.5 chambering that works well when chopped? 

I had an old Remington 700 VS, with a burnt out barrel, that was sitting in the cabinet doing nothing, and I had a similar itch for a ‘shorty’ that channelled the look of the DARPA XM-3 sniper rifle. I asked Neil McKillop to work his usual magic and this was the result. The first time out on the range, I think that I was annoying my spotter, as I kept hitting the spotting disc. Calibre is 0.308 and barrel length is 18”. Moderator is an Ase Utra BoreLock SL5i.

IMG_0263.jpeg

5 hours ago, Shuggy said:

I had an old Remington 700 VS, with a burnt out barrel, that was sitting in the cabinet doing nothing, and I had a similar itch for a ‘shorty’ that channelled the look of the DARPA XM-3 sniper rifle. I asked Neil McKillop to work his usual magic and this was the result. The first time out on the range, I think that I was annoying my spotter, as I kept hitting the spotting disc. Calibre is 0.308 and barrel length is 18”. Moderator is an Ase Utra BoreLock SL5i.

IMG_0263.jpeg

Nice - and quite pointy I’d imagine

On 11/28/2023 at 2:13 PM, JockStalk said:

That’s the kind of thing I had in mind. I guess 308 is the classic calibre for a short deer rifle. Any other calibres that are worth a look? I reload for 6.5, is there a 6.5 chambering that works well when chopped? 

Not 16" but Callum built me a BAT VRPIC/Kreiger 18" 6.5x47L and launches a 100gr Nosler BT at 3000fps with 39.5gr of Varget