Primer Pocket Uniforming - what depth for .243Win?

Oly

As many decent primer pocket uniformers are depth adjustable I was just wondering to what depth are people uniforming their primer pockets for .243Win?

Do you alter this for different cases/primers? And if so how do you determine the correct depth?

Thanks in advance,

Oly

uniforming and deburring the flash hole are more important to accuracy than any thing

Thats a good question Oly, have a KandM in large primers and an adjustable in small primers.

Some batches of brass "allow" a nice clean up by the tools, but other batches have a clean up rate of 70% - 85%, agree it would be nice to have a 100% cleanup but wouldn't want to go too deep (this is with fired brass).

Anybody got an answer?

It's the K&M adjustable larger primer one that I have just bought, but I don't want to start uniforming at too great, or too little, a depth - hence the question really. I use Lapua brass, so it should be pretty good, but I just wanted to check before I go carving it all up!

DO YOU MEAN THE PRIMER GAUGE SEATING TOOL MAT, if it isnt i done think the one you have is adjustable

got a picture please off it

I am often guily of over simplifing things so I could be wrong but I just measure a primer from the batch that I am going to use then set the cutter depth to that. As Nightwalker says, some clean up right to the bottom of the pocket and some don't but at least I shouldn't be making the over deep ones any worse. JC

I have the K&M uniformer but have stopped using it. I found that it was wearing away the primer pocket wall and causing premature slackness in the primers. I have since prepped a new batch of brass by doing the flash holes, neck turning and shamfering the case mouths and not touching the primer pockets. Not noticed any difference in the group sizes.

Ads

Archived