Remington 700 Clip Slotting

JGD88

Hi all,

I am building a M40A1 replica and have spent a long time getting all the right parts (stock, bottom metal, scope, mounts, barreled action, sling etc.). The missing piece is the clip slots cut into the receiver. Does anyone know someone who can do this in the UK?

I found this old thread on UKV about the M40A5 and Bradders and Davy both had experience of this work but sadly that knowledge is now lost. I PM'd Davy in the hope that he may one day check his inbox if he's still active at all in retirement.

So.... does anyone happen to have a copy of the drawings for this work, or know of someone who does and could do the job? I am happy to give it a try myself but at the moment it would be guesswork 😐

• 6 months later...
On 9/4/2023 at 10:24 AM, JGD88 said:

Hi all,

I am building a M40A1 replica and have spent a long time getting all the right parts (stock, bottom metal, scope, mounts, barreled action, sling etc.). The missing piece is the clip slots cut into the receiver. Does anyone know someone who can do this in the UK?

I found this old thread on UKV about the M40A5 and Bradders and Davy both had experience of this work but sadly that knowledge is now lost. I PM'd Davy in the hope that he may one day check his inbox if he's still active at all in retirement.

So.... does anyone happen to have a copy of the drawings for this work, or know of someone who does and could do the job? I am happy to give it a try myself but at the moment it would be guesswork 😐

Hi I am new to this forum. You can find the drawings for clip slotting of the M40 receiver in "Death from Afar" Volume 1 by Norman Chandler. If you need these still I will be pleased to help

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I contacted several riflesmiths/gunsmiths and got a couple of responses. Two said no, another asked for more information so I sent over drawings, forum links and a YouTube video I found of someone doing it and didn't get a reply. So..... I bought myself a cheap, small mill off eBay, bought the right bits to do it, milled my own receiver block out of aluminium and then did the job myself. The actual milling and hand finishing took me about an hour. Off to proof and job done.

I did say it was relatively easy if you followed the drawings 

well done 👍🏻