New Rifle Which Make

Welcome to the site.

Can you give us a bit more info on what you want the rifle for and I'm sure the lads on here will sort you out.

I expect the Sako will get the votes :D

Cheers

Dave

Welcome to the site.

Can you give us a bit more info on what you want the rifle for and I'm sure the lads on here will sort you out.

I expect the Sako will get the votes :wub:

Cheers

Dave

Hi sorry for not introducing myself :D i am a keen recreational stalker living in the east of Scotland also have Labs and Springers.

I have a 22/250 which i use for fox and roe at the moment, the rifle will be a 6.5x55 which i will use for the hole range fox through to red , well thats the plan anyway , must admit my first thoughts were for a Sako synthetic in stainless but like the idea of the Blaser never used one mind.

Colm

i wouldnt buy a blaser, for what they are they are very expecive, i wouldnt say the build qualitys up to the price tag!

if you want a good bog standard working rifle which wont break the bank and allows more money to be spent on a decent stalkin scope i wouldnt overlook the tikka T3, or if you want to go down the re-barrle line look for one of the older tikkas and get a quality 6.5 tube fitted (i am abit bias towards tikkas as you have probably noticed haha)

6.5x55 is a good choice, I've got a few friends who use them and partnered with a 120gn Nosler are highly effective.

I think Sako will be a good choice in this caliber, but also look at the Tikka range they have a fine reputation for accuracy.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Luckily i have an 8 x 56 zeiss here waiting to go the rifle, old but in good condition, i have a mate who has a tikka with a laminated stalk who tells me the same "get a tikka " just thought i would be getting somthing better with a Sako ? anyway going to have a look at Scone if nothing available there i will go down to the Midland there was agood choice the last time i was there.

Colm

I was looking at a Sako 85 at an open day at my local gun shop on the weekend. Funnily enough even the sales rep said they're building to a budget more and more every time a new model comes out. Sako used to be nice as did Tikka, but just look at the Tikka T3 compared to the older 595 or 695 models. I have a T3 and my mate has a 695, the T3 is crap in comparison! You could probably find a used model and re-barrel if need be. That would be my way of going about it if I was to start again.

One rifle that did catch my attention was tha Sauer 202. They had one with open sights and a screwcut muzzle so you could fit a non-over barrel type mod to it. It was in 6.5x55 (I like the calibre too) and I fell in love with it. Not sure about the £2k price, but it was a lovely rifle! If I had the money to spend I probably would have bought it!

Get the stainless Sako! If you are in any doubt about where the differences between Sako an Tikka lay just look at the build quality of the magazines. If money is tight, look for a secondhand Sako rather than a new rifle from a lesser maker. JC

There are one or two Sako 75's still about in 6.5x55, although one less since I bought one :rolleyes: They are lovely rifles and it is a great calibre. Buy gunmart magazine or look on the guntrader web-site and have a sort through. If you get to Blaser or Sauer money how about the Mauser?

As has been said already, if you buy a good action you can have it rebarrelled in the future. I think this is better than buying cheap. There are one or two really nice quality secondhand guns that have seen little work out there, they are well worth a look.

atb, ft

I di look at a sauer 202, it was such a lovely balanced rifle and fitted perfectly! however they are bleeding expensive and bought a remmy! what a mistake. I have finaly got rid of all my remmies and now own tikka and sako's and they feel so much better built. Go with a sako you will not be disapointed. Tikka are good though but rather plasticey unless you go for the older ones.

sako gets my vote , i have a cabinet full of them and personally if i could i would have another

a tika is a sako by another name

I've owned and used a hell of a lot of rifles over the years that I have been shooting Tikka's, Sako's, remmy's, Rugers and the odd custom jobby, but every time I pick up my Sauer 202 in 6.5 x 55 it really leaves me feeling like its the best one i've ever had or used. Extremely accurate, light and well balanced. I would definitely have a good look and touch at one before you decide.

If on a budget i'd get the tikka t3 if not go for the sako 85, s/s both upto the job,

if looking for secondhand, go for the 595 695 or 75 action there ate still a few to be had......

6.5 is an excellent cal. try the 129sst on the reds excellent bullet for the job....

good luck with the choice..

Snap.

Archived