7mm WSM build

Some time ago I sold my Sako TRG .308 as I wanted something different and a caliber that didn't just do 1000 yards but rather a caliber that did 1000 yards with ease.

In the end and with some help from a few of you guys and one in particular I ended up going for the 7mm WSM.

The rifle build is

Surgeon WSM action

Bartlien heavy varmint contour barrel, 312 tightneck, 1-9 twist, 28inches long.

AICS 2.0 with Surgeon adjustable but pad, thumb wheel cheekpiece mono-pod.

Jewell trigger

Badger ordinance high rings

Nightforce NXS 12-42x56 NP-2DD

Side panels done by Hydrographics and All the metal durocoated in military

black by James Clark

A-Tec CMM sound moderator and Jager Sporting Arms muzzle brake.

Today the rifle popped its cherry at a rather miserable Bisley doing 800-1200 yards. The load for this was 66.5gr of Reloader 25 and Berger 180 VLD's averaging 2930 fps

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

PICT00030.jpg

PICT00060.jpg

Typical load development, it doesn't give you any clues of when you are getting near a good load, it just shoots 1 or 1 and 1/4 inch groups until you find the right spot and then it bug holes( finicky). All load development has been shot at 200 yards.

targeta.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

"Typical load development, it doesn't give you any clues of when you are getting near a good load, it just shoots 1 or 1 and 1/4 inch groups until you find the right spot and then it bug holes( finicky). All load development has been shot at 200 yards."

Sweeeeet looking rifle Elwood, see what mean about groups tightening when you find the right spot !! What was the variable with the load development on the target shown ??

Did you try Bergers suggestion/advice regarding trying a bigger jump to the lands with the VLD's ??

Enjoy your new toy

Cheers Steve

"Typical load development, it doesn't give you any clues of when you are getting near a good load, it just shoots 1 or 1 and 1/4 inch groups until you find the right spot and then it bug holes( finicky). All load development has been shot at 200 yards."

Sweeeeet looking rifle Elwood, see what mean about groups tightening when you find the right spot !! What was the variable with the load development on the target shown ??

Did you try Bergers suggestion/advice regarding trying a bigger jump to the lands with the VLD's ??

Enjoy your new toy

Cheers Steve

Steve, the variable was 10 thou seating depth, the bullets used there were 162 Amax and the good group is 30 thou off the lands.

I can't really use much more of a bigger jump with either the Amax or the Berger 180's otherwise the ogive will be inside the case neck!! if I get time tomorrow I will take a photo of a bullet alongside a loaded round and you will see what I mean.

As I say, it's a finicky little bugger to reload for and can be extremely frustrating, but well worth it when you get it right.

I still have a few hands to play, my next step will be to use magnum primers, it's a magnum case and a magnum powder so a magnum primer seems logical.

Steve, the variable was 10 thou seating depth, the bullets used there were 162 Amax and the good group is 30 thou off the lands.

I can't really use much more of a bigger jump with either the Amax or the Berger 180's otherwise the ogive will be inside the case neck!! if I get time tomorrow I will take a photo of a bullet alongside a loaded round and you will see what I mean.

As I say, it's a finicky little bugger to reload for and can be extremely frustrating, but well worth it when you get it right.

I still have a few hands to play, my next step will be to use magnum primers, it's a magnum case and a magnum powder so a magnum primer seems logical.

I have shot a 7mm wsm for the past 3 years,yes they are finicky,you need a little advcie how to get these running,I also had the same problem with the 270 wsm,I finally cracked both

PM me and i will send you my number for a chat,it will save you a lot of time,barrel wear and probably stop you pulling your hair out

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good to go Ian, that would be a .277" group at 200yds would it? ;)

Your load is within a grain of my own 7mm WSM load for the F Class rifle.

They are a PITA to get shooting (the 180 Bergers that is)

I personaly found that magnum primers (in my 7mm) don't shoot any better than the "match" primers (ES is greater in my experience)

Looks good to go Ian, that would be a .277" group at 200yds would it? ;)

Your load is within a grain of my own 7mm WSM load for the F Class rifle.

They are a PITA to get shooting (the 180 Bergers that is)

I personaly found that magnum primers (in my 7mm) don't shoot any better than the "match" primers (ES is greater in my experience)

It is indeed a .277 group, that was shot with the 162 Amax though, I was experimenting with seating depth.

I will let you know how I get on with the magnum primers, but I think I will have to tinker with the 180's and RL 25, the weather has warmed up and the 66.5 gr that was 2923 fps went up to 3000 - 3020 fps with the rise in temperature. Bolt lift was still ok but I could see that the brass had taken a bit of a battering.

I'm not very happy though, these bleeding bullets are making a real big mess of my 1 inch steel plate, so much so that I think I will have to stop shooting at it.

I honestly think that if I put 10 rounds in the same area then it would drill a hole through it, sure is a sweet sound when they connect and so far every single one has. :D

Archived