Carbon barrels, experiences ?

About to pull the pin on a custom build lightweight 6.5 creedmoor. Really considering a proof research carbon barrel but I’m hearing stories in inconsistencies with carbon barrrels. intrigued to hear of any experience with proof carbon barrels, how many shots before the barrel overheats, grouping expands or you get a flyer ?

My lightweight rifle has a carbon barrel, I don't tend to shoot more than 3 shots in quick succession as it's a deer rifle so it's never seeing long strings, no deviation in POI or group size. The good thing about carbon barrels is that as fast as they heat up they cool down. I've plenty of friends across the pond using them in the NRL Hunter series with zero concerns, but even then it's only an 8 shot stage if things go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a proof carbon barrel. Expensive, over priced but fundamentally excellent. 

I haven’t experienced any shot stringing or POI shift using it. Extremely accurate. Very ammo tolerant and very easy to clean. Doesn’t really pick up carbon or copper in comparison to other barrels. Quick to heat up and get some mirage though.