Action for Custom Build

where can i source a action for my custom build , something like a surgeon xl or similar can action and barrel be sent via normal post to licence holder or will it have to be sent to a RFD.

Liam

south Yorkshire shooting supplies are the uk importers. I've built quite a few on surgeon both short and magnum actions never had a non shooter yet. Your action would need sending to rfd as it is unprooved and requires this before it goes on your ticket barrels - they are just steel tubes they may be sent direct. Give baldie a moment maybe he can assist in your quest. I have imported direct from surgeon before syss got the import status but to be honest it was a pain to sort.

When I buy more surgeons they will be coming from syss.

south Yorkshire shooting supplies are the uk importers. I've built quite a few on surgeon both short and magnum actions never had a non shooter yet. Your action would need sending to rfd as it is unprooved and requires this before it goes on your ticket barrels - they are just steel tubes they may be sent direct. Give baldie a moment maybe he can assist in your quest. I have imported direct from surgeon before syss got the import status but to be honest it was a pain to sort.

When I buy more surgeons they will be coming from syss.

what the rough cost of the surgeon xl , do they come with the bolts pre machined for certain calibres? im trying to keep the action around the £1000 , what would you suggest for a barrel what manufacturer? what trigger can fit on to the surgeon action. and do macmillan have a machined stock which fits the surgeon action no probs?

jsut been on the phone to syss and the woman there stated a price £1385 for a .338 based version this about right??

liam

what the rough cost of the surgeon xl , do they come with the bolts pre machined for certain calibres? im trying to keep the action around the £1000 , what would you suggest for a barrel what manufacturer? what trigger can fit on to the surgeon action. and do macmillan have a machined stock which fits the surgeon action no probs?

jsut been on the phone to syss and the woman there stated a price £1385 for a .338 based version this about right??

liam

I have a Surgeon XL with a magnum boltface that I've just fitted to a Long action AICS. Barrel should be here this week and have not decided on caliber yet. £1385 is about right.

liam

Hi Liam.

The xl is around the £1400 mark as Sheila told you. However, unlike the other surgeon actions in the range, the XL comes with its own floorplate and magazine system, and a 5 round magazine, which is an AI mag, in either .300 winmag type, or .338 lapua magnum.It also has pillars and bolts, etc...infact its a full kit.

It accepts any remington type trigger via a hanger, and mcmillan do indeed do a specific stock for it. I have 3 on the way, hopefully in the next two weeks [ one is for myself]

Manners do an inlet for it too.

Bolt faces are .308, .300 magnum, and .338 magum.

Everyone has their own preference for barrels, its a personal think. I like Border.

Hi Liam.

The xl is around the £1400 mark as Sheila told you. However, unlike the other surgeon actions in the range, the XL comes with its own floorplate and magazine system, and a 5 round magazine, which is an AI mag, in either .300 winmag type, or .338 lapua magnum.It also has pillars and bolts, etc...infact its a full kit.

It accepts any remington type trigger via a hanger, and mcmillan do indeed do a specific stock for it. I have 3 on the way, hopefully in the next two weeks [ one is for myself]

Manners do an inlet for it too.

Bolt faces are .308, .300 magnum, and .338 magum.

Everyone has their own preference for barrels, its a personal think. I like Border.

so other than the xl kit what else will i need to makes this rifle , barrel obviously and a stock ??

liam

whats everyones views on a trigger choice , i see it has to be a remington type trigger so this opens up a few choices timney,jewell etc i will be choosein a brake of some sort i dont really have any idea on who is a best and who is the poorest so any views would be good then i can write down what i plan to get and get it priced up. as far as the stock goes i think a macmillan a-4 would be good

liam

whats everyones views on a trigger choice , i see it has to be a remington type trigger so this opens up a few choices timney,jewell etc i will be choosein a brake of some sort i dont really have any idea on who is a best and who is the poorest so any views would be good then i can write down what i plan to get and get it priced up. as far as the stock goes i think a macmillan a-4 would be good

liam

Order the stcok as soon as you confirm the barrel profile you want, they will tell you 5 months but in all honesty expect 6 to 7...

good luck with the build.

Snap.

CG Jackson for a trigger would be my vote - worth asking "Ronin" he has both the Surgeon XL action and CG trigger (though I have only seen the CG trigger on his small Surgeon action - not seen what he has on his XL).

david.

CG trigger if you like a 2 stage trigger, Jewell if you like a single stage.

I,m not sure, but i think the XL action will only go in an a5, i,d have to check. Prices are impossible without you having a firm idea what features you want in a stock. Have a look on mcmillan,s site.

Snap shot is quite correct on their delivery times, they are a joke. I am waiting for a stock for his rifle, that should have been here on the 3rd May. They are finishing it this week apparently, along with 3 others [one of which is mine]

Have at look on Tom Manners site. he does inlets for the XL, and we have some of these assorted stocks on order with him. They are every bit as good as a mcmillan, and his delivery time is 12 weeks.

Brakes.

depends on the calibre, but i always reccomend the VAIS type. They have several advantages. They dont need indexing, so the threads never end up bruised, when the brakes removed for cleaning. They are radially drilled, so exit gas all the way round, and because of this, they are quieter than open sided brakes suck as the benny cooley, Holland, etc.

Archived