Changing from FAC Air to .22LR

jimbob123

Hi all

Hopefully this post/query makes some sense.

I currently have a .22 Daystate Airwolf MCT FAC (approx 40 ft lb) and a .223 Remington. Both are primarily for bunnies.

The Airwolf is now 8 years old and probably needs a service (£400) and my two 300 bar 12ltr dive cylinders are overdue for hydrostatic testing (£50 each). So I'm looking at swapping out the FAC Airgun for "somethin else."

.22LR seems to be a logical choice, perhaps with subsonic, and the ammo is affordable; not like my tins of 500 pellets of course but much cheaper than feeding the .223. BUT everything I read about .22LR says "ricochet".

So a bit about my requirements. The .223 is for long-range bunnies; I have permission across 250 acres (neighbouring farm). But we do get bunnies in the garden, which is around 3 acres and is surrounded by trees and a field. There are also some neighbouring houses 80-90 metres away, to the side (not in the direction I am shooting). But because of that, both ricochet and noise are concerns. And my nearest dive centre for fills is 75 minutes' drive each way and that's a PITA.

What are your views on what I should do? Keep the FAC Airgun or replace it with a newer FAC airgun? Swap it out for a .22LR? Swap it out for something else?

Over to you knowledegable people! :)

Many thanks!

Jim

Hi there 

glad your turning to the dark side !!! . 
22 lr are around 100 ftlbs so quite a jump up in performance. I’m easily happy upto 100 yards using StrelokPro and subsonic ammo , Hope lead ban doesn’t mess things up though. 
17 hmr gives 150 ftlbs at same distance that 22 lr makes 100 ftlb. Also can get non toxic ammo if the antis get their way. 

subs are very quiet especially rws make . 
As for ricocheting ammo all ammo will do this in the right conditions but good solid backstop s and shooting downwards from shooting sticks will help reduce them . On grassy sheep fields it’s good to shoot after a rainfall so the ground soaks up the energy and won’t ricochet . 
 I’m using a springer for garden work so not to use up valuable air from my dive cylinder’s ( also out of date but still got good pressure in them) .

My 223 gets used primarily for fox but will also be used on close rabbits if they pop out. 
Hope this helps 

Ps FX using heavy slugs could be an option but not sure how hard it is to pump up a tank from a manual hand pump . 

Thanks Richiew, yes that's a big help, thank you. I wasn't really sure how comparable the ftlb was so that's a good guide.

I've been using StrelokPro this evening with my 223, and some of the click readings are quite different to the reality. I don't have a chrono so at the moment I'm unsure if the FPS I've entered (from the ammo box) is very different to what I'm actually getting. I use StrelokPro with my air gun too, so it sounds like it's stil recommended for the 22LR if I go down that route.

Good advice re: avoiding ricochet, thank you.

re: pump. It's a nightmare. I get around 20 shots before I have to top up the gun, and the Hills pump nearly killed me. Hence the two dive cylinders :)

Cheers

Jim

Hi there 

you can tune StrelokPro by changing the actual drop for a known distance against the predicted drop and it’ll give a correction regarding speed. Speed from box is mostly overrated. 
sounds like 22 lr is the go to option 

• 2 weeks later...

Keep your Daystate and get additional an .22 rimfire, your air tanks will last longer and the Daystate will be a back up gun that will fill a need if shooting into trees for the likes of squirrel etc. which is a big NO regards doing so with rimfire.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've replaced my 22lr with a FAC FX M3 for the very reason mentioned above by spanner! I've had my far share of over the years! Just changing the subject for a minute spanner trying to remember was it you that I purchase the 17 fireball from?

On 10/12/2023 at 8:27 PM, Matt234 said:

I've replaced my 22lr with a FAC FX M3 for the very reason mentioned above by spanner! I've had my far share of over the years! Just changing the subject for a minute spanner trying to remember was it you that I purchase the 17 fireball from?

Yes it was, lovely rifle never worked out why I sold it since it went!!  I now have an HW66 17 Hornet. 

It's still doing the job but the barrel is now coming to the end of it's life it still shoots one whole groups with your load data as long as the barrel is cold so I'm gonna have to start looking round for a new barrel did you say you got it from brook and Norris I can't remember?

On 10/12/2023 at 9:11 PM, Matt234 said:

It's still doing the job but the barrel is now coming to the end of it's life it still shoots one whole groups with your load data as long as the barrel is cold so I'm gonna have to start looking round for a new barrel did you say you got it from brook and Norris I can't remember?

No it was done by Neil McKillop, he did two I believe one for himself and yours.  It came in a standard A1 Sako wooden stock which I sold and replaced with the McMillan.