Problem with Redding Die

17 Rem

I have a Redding bushing full length sizing die (not the competition type), with .267" bushing, for my 243 AI and sized the first few of my fireformed cases today. I followed the instructions (for once in my life), screwing the die in till it made contact with the shell holder with the ram of the press at the top of its travel. The instructions state that you should then back the die off by a full turn. With the die in this position, however, only the top 0.080"of the neck were resized.

Even screwing the die in by a full turn sizes only about 150 thou of the 0.230" long neck, but this sizes the body of the case so much that there's no resistance whatsoever when closing the bolt. Have I got a faulty die, or am I doing something wrong?

Firstly, you do not have to re-size all of the case neck length,

However, if you want to, you may have the top screw, the one that holds the bushing in place too far out, so that the bushing is moving up with the case neck as its pushed into the bushing hole. You can turn down that screw untill it touches the bushing, then back it off 1/16th turn so the bushing is just and so "floating".

Secondly, screw in the die body untill you feel it touch the case holder at the top of the stroke, then screw it out half a turn (or until the case shoulder isnt being bumped) this where I would lock of the die.

you may find you have only gained a few thou.

The other way of getting complete sizing on your die is get it re-cut (or a new die body cut) using the reamer that cut your chamber, not all 243 AI's are the same......

(just like many other cases)

Hope this helps.

mine is ecactly like yours rem i just learnt to live with it

Hi 17,

This is completely normal but seems to be specific to 243AI bushing dies,

The very same problem was brought up on the US site LongRangeHunting a few years ago where one of the members had the same thing happen.

He contacted the Redding technical department and they explained that this problem was peculiar to 243Ai dies but was normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Ian.

Thanks for the replies.

The top screw is a sixteenth of a turn out.

This just seems bizarre to me- the 20-250 brass I used to form from 22-250 had the whole of the neck resized by a Redding bushing die with no problem at all, so clearly the whole length of the neck can be sized using dies of this type. Sounds like there's something wrong at the factory if all Redding dies have this problem.

Anyone using any other type/make of die for this calibre?

Thanks for the replies.

The top screw is a sixteenth of a turn out.

This just seems bizarre to me- the 20-250 brass I used to form from 22-250 had the whole of the neck resized by a Redding bushing die with no problem at all, so clearly the whole length of the neck can be sized using dies of this type. Sounds like there's something wrong at the factory if all Redding dies have this problem.

Anyone using any other type/make of die for this calibre?

Marv

I use the redding comp bushing neck die for my 243AI and dont have a problem,as its been said I wouldnt worry about it as your rifle shot very well when we went out,if you are concerned try by die instead

Archived