Rear bag recommendation.

Jon2712

Hi, 

I’m looking for advice on a rear bag, I’ve a .284 F Open rifle in a Dolphin modular F open stock. I’m aiming to shoot at 600 and 1000yds. Which rear bags would you recommend for this style of stock, especially regarding the bag rider installed on them. 

Jon 

I'd start off by looking at Edgewood offerings. The leather is nice and soft and you can go for Cordura ears or the super-slippery ones. (I'm happy with Cordura). Go for a thick rigid base - maybe incorporating a carry handle if you are going to lug it around the range. I think the Dolphin stock has a round carbon-fibre bag-rider so get one with maybe 10mm between the ears so your bag-rider rides on the ears and not the stitching between the ears. Various heights are available - go for a medium - it will suit most situations with a NEO front rest.

The Edgewood aren't cheap but they are superior to the cheaper SEB ones. If you really want the best have a look at the Lenzi bag from March scopes. I've switched to a Lenzi from an Edgewood. They have super soft leather, rigid base, Cordura ears and they are very heavy when filled with Zircon.  The pic shows my Lenzi on a stainless steel base - really solid. IMG_2148.thumb.jpg.8b0d48dd42662c2b77c6960a9818b74f.jpg  

I like my Edgewood 

the Lenzi are very Gucci but they are also soft and some have said start to sag after time. They are also a little too high for me so the Edgewood suit me better than the others 

Try some, ask on the firing point, most people won’t mind you trying out their kit 

Thank you both for the advice.

Edgewood wise, which model do you recommend? I’ve read the gator is not suited to F class. I’m guessing the mini gator? Also I’d Brian Fox still the distributor?

The Lenzi do look nice, no issues with yours Vince?

Any thoughts on the Dima bags?

thanks again

Jon

3 hours ago, Jon2712 said:

Thank you both for the advice.

Edgewood wise, which model do you recommend? I’ve read the gator is not suited to F class. I’m guessing the mini gator? Also I’d Brian Fox still the distributor?

The Lenzi do look nice, no issues with yours Vince?

Any thoughts on the Dima bags?

thanks again

Jon

Foxy still has a good selection of Edgewood and a few others. Not had any issues with the Lenzi and I shoot with quite a few who use them - I don't think I've heard any complaints. Most bags will need a top up when the stitching and leather has settled but the Lenzis come filled, which is a bonus.

Thanks for the advice, I’m going to go with a Lenzi.

The bag rider on the Dolphin stock is 25mm diameter, March scopes have recommended the 17mm or 19mm gap. Does that sound reasonable? Think I’ll go with 19mm version. 

thanks again

Jon

Good choice. Gap? You want the bag-rider to ride in the ears - not the stitching. I guess either 17 or 19mm will be OK but personally I'd go for the 17mm. The ears are sand filled so a bit of movement to bed the bag-rider in snuggly.

I see you're in North Yorkshire. I shoot F Class at Diggle once a fortnight and I'd be happy to let you try my bag - and there will be one or two other Lenzis there as well - before committing.