ANYONE ended up with there pride & joy in the dirt?

i was out on charlie last night & my shootin buddy smacked a mangy old dog dox as im still a few ahead & these days it feels like im just taking my rifle for a walk as its fair quite around here & im waiting for him to catch up!

climing over a fence resulted in me & rifle(the 243AI/nxs ect) leaving a man/gun imprint in the mud :-(

rifle smacked down on the ground then i knind samcked down on rifle & mashed it deeper into the churrned up ground!DOH!

was going to go to the same ground today but after the cuffing the rifle got i thought it better go out & test it!

any ways heres a crappy picture i took on my phone when i got in!

243Aijpg.jpg

the only damage that i had was a broken BC scope cover so pretty luck there to be honest(well kinda:-P)

I went out to check zero today & it seems my load of 45.3 of VIt 150 wsa pushed over the edge by the warm weather & i got some fair stif extractions so gave up on that after half a dozen shots!

my zero seemed to have wandered 1" to the right but not sure if was due to the impact or the extra presure!

ill be making us some reduced loads in the near future:-0

cheers Andy

Glad the rifle was ok, i once smashed a scope when a gate broke as I was crossing it, it smash the objective bell and lense :lol: lucky like you the rifle was ok.

I managed to get the scope replaced on my household insurance so all was well in the end.

Chers

Dave :lol:

Once had a 22-250 slide down the edge of the kitchen worktop (un loaded and cleaned ready to return to cabinet) and smashed a scope, claimed on household insurance.

Often had scopes / rifles covered in muck from stalking - I just strip the barrelled action out the stock leave the scope on and wash off with hot water - avoiding lenses.

Worked for several years for me.

Take a deep breath, but it works.

Once jumped over a dry stone wall with the rifle on my back. On landing the front sling stud pulled out and the rifle spun round and entered the floor muzzle first for 6 inches :lol:

Always carry a rod in the car now for any such events, maybe in the dark and without checking the consequences aren't worth thinking about. :lol:

Keep the remains of your scope cap! I broke one on the flick up bit and saved the other bit for a while. On a clear out thought what have I saved this bit for?

Next time out step round the rifle on a bipod caught the opened cap and snapped the other bit off was I pi$$ed off as the two good halves would have been as good as a new one.

I once pulled my 30-06 out from under 12" of rushing water in a stream bed. The worst was handgun hunting in New Mexico one winter. I tumbled off of a 15 foot ledge in a blizzard and down about 50 yards of thickly blanketed slope only to find my revolver was missing when I came to a halt. Took about 40 minutes of hand and knees searching to find it and it was frozen solid when I did. I crawled under the low hanging limbs of a Ponderosa pine tree, made a little fire, and field stripped it clean. ~Andrew

Ok, i'll be the first to admit to this, I once dropped a rifle about 12 feet out of a high seat! It was a Mannlicher proffessional with a Zeis 2.5-10x42 on it, it went straight into the ground, which was soft, thankfully, like a spear. With hindsight, I think that this was probably the best way for it to land as it was loaded at the time. I took it home, cleaned it all out, nipped to the range and found that it was still spot on. JC

Glad it not just me lads :D

Andy

I ran it under the tap until the worst was of & then had a good re oil lol

worse bit was it turned the white bits on the turrets brown & that took a good scrubbing with fairy & kitchen role to make it white again! :D

cheers Andy

Sorry to hear about your fall Andy!!! :):(

Just hope yourself and your rifle are okay!!!!!

All the best......................

RAY............................... :D :D

Sorry to hear about your fall Andy!!! :(;)

Just hope yourself and your rifle are okay!!!!!

All the best......................

RAY............................... :):D

cheers dude

i was fine & the rifle seemed fine apart from my loads now being a bit too lively :D

jsut made up 20 fresh ones to try with a less powder:-)

Andy

i was once out lamping oppisite my house on foot and in the dark i pissed in to a rut i had caused earlier that day when i got stuck with my landrover, i got up turned round and then spiral staircaseed in to the other wheeling, breaking a very nice smidt and bender.

Early seventies in South Africa, my father took out a German visitor. This chap wanted to take photos of the inside

of a deserted clay hut. Going in to a deserted hut was frowned upon and brought bad luck. Anyway, visitor didn't listen and both

went in. Walking through the low entrance my father poked the barrel of the shouldered 308 sako into the clay of the doorway.

Barrel clogged with clay. The two managed to find some fence wire... that snapped inside the barrel. They decided to go all or bust... and pulled the bullet off a case. Left the full charge in and chambered it barrel up but felt they needed to stand back a bit.

All the laces were taken out of the boots and tied together to the trigger, rifle against a tree and the two on the other side. The sako held together and the clay and wire blew out. When I took over that sako a few years ago I was very happy to get it rebarreled. Wonder why the damn thing never shot well before the rebarrel... :o

edi

Guest martin

Skaney,why the hell did you put this post up????? :o

I was out tonight lamping,and,slipped in a bog,and,stuck my bloody rifle straight in the mud,and then slid down the bank on my bloody arse.......................I blame you for putting this thread up..............'M'

i had similar thing happen to me , me and a friend went out for a plink one afternoon i had my .22-250 and he had my .17hmr he ended up slipping and falling and end ended up using the rifle to break his fall the rifle barrel completly dissappeared in the moor the barrel was full from the muzzle right to the action with moss and water , unfortunately i dont use a cleaning rod on that rifle so i had to remove the barrel and blow it out with my mouth.

liam

Skaney,why the hell did you put this post up????? :o

I was out tonight lamping,and,slipped in a bog,and,stuck my bloody rifle straight in the mud,and then slid down the bank on my bloody arse.......................I blame you for putting this thread up..............'M'

Hmmmm tempted fate......................................................Doh!

Andy

Archived