7mm/.284 Win Hornady 180gr ELD Match or Lapua 180gr Scenar-L

hattori.hanzo

Hi all,

did you test the cal 7mm/.284 Win Hornady 180gr ELD Match bullets over the Lapua 180gr Scenar-L yet?

The Scenar-L shoot well but the ELD-M bullets do have a much higher BC. Also, the Scenar-L bullet overall length vary a lot, because of the bullet tip, which is not unique.

Do you have any comments on my thoughts above?

Many thanks
Uwe

• hattori.hanzo changed the title to 7mm/.284 Win Hornady 180gr ELD Match or Lapua 180gr Scenar-L

I've shot both bullets in my 284 at around 2800fps..

I've not done a side by side comparison but they both shoot great..

Scenars don't blow up if pushed like the ELDM'S can/do.

I've not lost one at 2800fps but I know some who have going over 2850fps..

My saum blows them up at 2950fps.

Since my last blow up I've put 700 or more bergers through my saum without an issue..

I think most lead core jacketed bullets can blow up if there pushed and span fast enough..

It's probaly a jacket problem..

Just too thin or soft..

The Atips can blow up apparently..

For competitive shooting use the scenars as a blow up will cost you 5 points that's why I stopped using them in my saum..

Great accuracy until they don't make the target

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, hattori.hanzo said:

They are not trimmed/pointed at all, but it would be nice if Lapua would do it by default. 🙃

You have a older batch of 180 L's, you would be hard pushed to see the difference in meplat between them and Berger 180 Hybrids or VLD with the newer Scenar 180 L's.

I did a test with pointing the older 180 L's, with very pointed, normally pointed and not pointed. I shot them at 1000 yards and there wasn't any difference in the point of impact.

5 hours ago, Elwood said:

You have a older batch of 180 L's, you would be hard pushed to see the difference in meplat between them and Berger 180 Hybrids or VLD with the newer Scenar 180 L's.

I did a test with pointing the older 180 L's, with very pointed, normally pointed and not pointed. I shot them at 1000 yards and there wasn't any difference in the point of impact.

This is awesome news! I bought 1.700 Scenar-L last year. They are not pointed and have pretty ugly tips.