Hornet advice

Greenbear

Just like to add guys a fellow forum member has very generously given me an almost full box of 35g V max on the strength of this thread - Its the things like this that keeps me coming back to this forum.

Many thanks to Stevie 220 Ackley

Only too glad to help GB, really hope they shoot for you buddy. Let us know how you get on with the reloading for the Hornet

Cheers Steve

Steve, I also use magnum primers,..

Can't remember how they went in mine (when I had it) but I seem to recall a lot of different writers on the Net saying Hornets often don't like hot ignition and in fact many guys use pistol primers for that reason. Worth experimenting with I guess.

Good luck

Chris-NZ

PS You could have had the remaining part box of my 35 V-Maxs if we'd been a few thousand miles closer :D

Chriz: You're right. The magnum primer tends to blast the load column down barrel; hence no pressure signs. It shows up especially with Lil Gun. I have tested all applicable primers in the Hornet with Lil Gun. Small Pistol (standard, not magnum) are the best in my notes. Consistent ignition is the goal, with consistent pressures. You are far better relying on the propellant properties of the powder instead of the priming! (JMHO)~Andrew

Guest alan108

Thanks Andrew,i'm reloading this weekend and i'll use small pistol primers,I must say that i never had any problems with magnum primers,good grouping and no signs of pressure,but,i'll try other methods.

You can only try! If it works I wouldn't be surprised though. Good shooting to you.

I will be out ruining the lives of as many prairiedogs as I can this weekend. I'm off and the weather is sunny and 70! I'm pumped up for it. I may take the .222 and .223 as well as the Hornet.~Andrew

I hope my powder thrower doesn't do that! In all fairness though for what they cost I couldn't complain too much. Their stuff is so cheap and often works very well.

Archived