S&B Scope for AX 338LM

MotoSinge

S&B Scope for AX 338LM  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion on which S&B scope for an AX in 338LM.

• S&B 5-25x56 PMII
    • S&B 6-36x56 PMII
    • S&B 5-45x56 PMII High Power

Hi folks. I'm looking for some informed opinions about which scope for an AX in 338LM. Here's my shortlist:

• S&B 5-25x56 PMII - The 'standard' which is more affordable. Is much more that 25x useful?
  • S&B 6-36x56 PMII - New model that's nice middle-ground magnification?
  • S&B 5-45x56 PMII High Power - Extra power useful for spotting, but otherwise not practical at the higher mag?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I use 5-25 x56 FFP P4F on a .338LM up to 2000m without a problem.  I prefer a middling magnification as the wider field of view allows me to spot fall of shot that's off target and to measure the error directly from the reticule.

My sight picture at the mile is perfect for my needs, I can see splash marks on the 1 moa centre at Eskdalemuir without a problem.  To be honest, my Vortex Razor spotting scope on x60 is an inferior picture at + mile distances. 

I have a NF comp with a 55x max magnification and the haze and any mirage makes it practically useless at +1000 with full magnification.

Hi mate 

I think all your choices wil be very good for the job. It’ll be down to turret type and the amount of adjustment that’s available and feel of the clicks , so it would be best if you could try some maybe at one of the shows .  The new p5 ?? Reticle is very nice and clear also the msr 2 or long range ret may sway your judgment. I personally use the ultra short on a 223 and a 3-27x56 hi power on the AI AT 308 , both are p4 fine ret and like to run the hi power around the 16 to 20 times mag even at close 100 to 300 distance. Problem s maybe where the scope mounts on the rifle as using a spuhr mount mine is very far forward as the turrets aren’t central on this model see pic . I’ve often liked the idea of a bit more mag so the 6-36 could be useful. Higher mags make it essential that your head is directly in line with the scope to get the correct sight picture that’s parallax free . Think that’s enough for a Friday cheers 

2409966A-CBBC-425F-BAA0-AC054FF99ECF.jpeg

16 hours ago, Richiew said:

Just had a look at S&B web and the msr2 ret has a very nice small illuminated centre dot which is handy for longrange shooting . 

Genuine question; why do you think this?

Hi there 

I find at high mag even on the p4 f on small targets the ret can cover quite a bit of the target, so with a centre dot with dots around it makes for easy placement on the target . Just my experience of eskdalemuir and local club shooting targets with a 40 mm v bull that’s usually black , so black ret on black target can be hard work .this is the old ret look up the new one on t web. This has some handy measure ing marks too 37401598-D52A-41DF-AF24-55FDEE0EC15A.thumb.jpeg.f26f50f07e2bb7ea933e640db363eb25.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Richiew said:

Hi there 

I find at high mag even on the p4 f on small targets the ret can cover quite a bit of the target, so with a centre dot with dots around it makes for easy placement on the target . Just my experience of eskdalemuir and local club shooting targets with a 40 mm v bull that’s usually black , so black ret on black target can be hard work .this is the old ret look up the new one on t web. This has some handy measure ing marks too 37401598-D52A-41DF-AF24-55FDEE0EC15A.thumb.jpeg.f26f50f07e2bb7ea933e640db363eb25.jpeg

OK, I also use P4F reticule but I've never had that problem, I'll give it a go and see if it's any additional help.