Tuning 10-10's etc

SteveW

Other than keeping them clean and the tare set properly, there isn't much to do to them. In fact, most scale makers want you to stay the (@*@#* out of the works! You can tune your techniques in using them of course.~Andrew

Other than keeping them clean and the tare set properly, there isn't much to do to them. In fact, most scale makers want you to stay the (@*@#* out of the works! You can tune your techniques in using them of course.~Andrew

What do you mean by "the tare set properly" please.

Thanks Mark

thanks andrew, thats what i thought you meanbt but i have never heard it callled that

thanks mark

Thanks Andrew for the reply,

I wonder if people polished certain parts to make them more smooth/sensitive.

I'm always experimenting with the 10-10's, electronic scales and the Harrell's powder thrower and never 100% happy, so just thought I'd ask to see if anyone had tried anything

Cheers Steve

I think Col 48 has some "tuned" 10-10's.

Other than polishing the balance fulcrum point to a knife edge, I don't see what else could be done (like Andrew says, technique appears to be the key)

I think Col 48 has some "tuned" 10-10's.

Other than polishing the balance fulcrum point to a knife edge, I don't see what else could be done (like Andrew says, technique appears to be the key)

hi

ronin is correct i do have a set,and you can see when one kernel is added to the pan.

does it make a difference? i would not have thought so but i had to try a set.

ATB

Colin :unsure:

I suppose it would make a difference if you are shooting a small capacity case more so than a larger one as the percentage change in powder would be greater in a small one than a large one - hope that makes sense.

Personally, I still prefer electronic "lab"scales that also measure 1 kernel of powder usually .01grain on my scale with RL25 :unsure:

like Andrew says, technique appears to be the key

Thanks Andy & Col for the replys,

I looked recently at the Acculab's but found a site which had several disappointed members, so that put me off a bit !! and just thought about trying to improve what I had, just out of curiosity Col where did you aquire your titivated 10-10's ??

Looks like your all saying the same as he wife :D:D

Cheers Steve

Thanks Andy & Col for the replys,

I looked recently at the Acculab's but found a site which had several disappointed members, so that put me off a bit !! and just thought about trying to improve what I had, just out of curiosity Col where did you aquire your titivated 10-10's ??

Looks like your all saying the same as he wife :D:D

Cheers Steve

rcbs1010x216.jpgRELOADING--Tuned Balance Beam Scales by Parker: Is your electronic scale giving you the blues? Does it drift with temperature or not hold accuracy tolerance? Scott Parker can modify balance beam scales to enhance sensitivity and more importantly, repeatability. Scott tells us: "You can literally count kernels with these scales--after tuning, the scales typically gain a half order of magnitude in sensitivity and a full order of magnitude in repeatability. Outside of a $250+ laboratory scale, a tuned beam scale is the most accurate and precise balance you can buy. I have tuned several 10-10s. They all have turned out very sensitive, consistent and hold linearity like a dream. The sensitivity after tuning is such that one kernel of powder registers a poise beam deflection. For repeatability, I remove the pan and replace it for the zero 10 times. The zero line and the poise beam balance line must coincide for each of those 10 tries. I then set the poises to read 250.0 grains. I remove and replace the pan 10 times with the calibration weight. For repeatability, the poise beam balance line must return to that same balance point ten times. I then adjust the poises back to zero and recheck the zero. A report is generated detailing the initial inspection of the balance, the corrective actions performed and any remaining concerns. I sell Ohaus type 10-10 and model 5-10 scales for $70.00 + shipping. I can also modify your existing 5-10 or 10-10 scales for $20.00 + shipping. Email me at VLD223@yahoo.com or call (661) 364-1199."

this from where i got my details

if you would like to have a look at mine then if you pay the post i can send them you to have a look

ATB

Colin ;)

Archived