Ackley

6mmBR

I had my .22-250 Ackley Improved back from Border Barrels last Saturday, what a spot on job they've done again and spot on the 9 weeks as promised ;)

Well as you can imagine I was itching to get up the range to run the barrel in and fireform some cases.

I found half a tin of some Win 760 which I'd had kicking around for a while so I popped 39 grains in a case and seated a 55Vmax so it would be 10 thou into the lands.

I got up the range Wednesday and it was fascinating popping in a .22-250 and out popped a perfectly formed Ackley case :lol:

Accuracy from this load was around 1 inch, I had much better luck with 52 Bergers producing around 1'2 inch groups.

I left the range happy and had zeroed the rifle with some of the 55 Vmax loads in case I could get out for a shot ;)

Well what a perfect start with a new rifle :lol: Thursday evening no wind and suuny, so of down the farm to give it a go.

The first chance was a bunny at 176yds I lined up on it bang, thud the first kill ;)

DSCF0079.jpg

I missed a pigeon at 210, but thats life.

Through the bino's across the cliff I spotted a bunny feeding and I pinged it with the range finder 247yds, so I thought give it a go, bang, slap and over it went, I was so chuffed.

I went to collect it and whilst coming back I spotted another rabbit at 186yds (this is the icing on the cake) I went prone and was sighting in on the bunny when I saw a fox pop out of a gorse bush, it was stalking the rabbit I was going to pop. I changed target and squeezed off the shot to be rewarded by a thud of the bullet striking home and the fox tumbling down the side of the cliff.

DSCF0083.jpg

It was a nice vixen cub.

So the evening finnished with 4 rabbits and a fox cub, what a perfect start with a new gun.

I think the Ackley and I are going to be good pals :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Hi Martyn, I like that Wild Dog stock heaps so as you quite rightly observed I robbed it off my 6.5x47 ;) this now has its origional HS stock on it.

Cheers

Dave

Nice one Dave,

I am very jealous my friend, my rifle is not complete yet but it is getting there.

I too have W 760 its a good powder for fireforming used it in my .243 AI, i have 120 new pieces of Norma brass and intend forming with 53grn SMK's

What powder have you got lined up for your full power loads, you should be able to get those 55's going at 3900 comfortably without effecting the barrel wear to much, although this would be a hot load for the standard cartridge, in the improved version the lower pressure and intensity should make little or no difference to barrel life.

Run them hot, well thats a different matter ;)

Ian.

well done Dave.It is nice to get out and christen a new rifle.Sean who works in Litts gunshop has an 22.250 ackley.It is a fine rifle which will shoot one hole groups all day long.

Well done Dave, if your barrel has a fast enough twist, try 75g A-Max's, my own AI just loves em!

Nice one dave - i shall look forward to you coming down and trying that rifle on some cornish varmints!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Nice looking rifle too buddy ;) ;)

All the best........

RAY................ :D;)

Nice rifle but I'm curious: Why did you choose the AI design instead of the standard chambering? I would be interested in seeing what kind of maximum velocity you can get with that rifle. I have owned 22-250AI, 220 AI Swift, and 30-06 IMP. It's remarkable how little extra velocity I got for the added case capacity. In at least one instance I got none! ~Andrew

A very nice bit of kit Dave and an even better christening,i take it you had no problems fireforming your cases

Cheers guys, I had some more fun at the range today fireforming more brass, its so easy pop in a .22-250 and out pops an Ackley case :blink:

Ian, after fireforming a few cases on Wednesday I tried some of the Berger 52 match bullets which showed promise on Wednesday. The powder I selected from looking on Quick load is N550.

I tried today loads up to a max of 43 grains N550 with that powder, as ever best accuracy came at that top loading with one ragged hole :blink: I think there may be room for another 0.5-1 grain more powder as no pressure signs were evident. Quick load is estimating 3920fps for this load, funnily an article in the Varmint mag gave a velocity of 4011fps for that same load, I'm going to have to chrono that load when we get a dry day to check.

PNSE

I spoke to Bob at Sinclair International he runs a .22-250 AI he recons on getting 2000-2500 rounds out of his barrels, thats a lot of foxes :blink:

Ray, I've fireformed a pile of brass today so look out ;)

Andrew I picked the .22-250 AI as since the gun was to be barrelled by Border I had the choice, it's great to have something different than most people and a few added horse power into the bargain.

Cheers all for the replies

Dave

Dave, that is some nice handy rifle,

It looks right.

What's the spec, weight, length, twist, profile?

Now a stupid question, could one fire form the AI with

factory 22-250 ammo??

edi

The rifle is a Rem 700 action with a 26" Border fluted barrel in a Rem varmint or R1 profile with a 1in12 twist. The stock is a Wild Dog Varmint stock in Grass 01 custom paint finnish. Not sure on weight but it makes a reasonable carry rifle.

Fireforming is so easy pop in a standard .22-250 reload or factory round, pull the trigger and out pops a formed Ackley case.

Cheers

Dave

Here is a bit of a sequence of the fireforming.

At left is the standard round ready for fireforming, the middle is the formed case and to the right is the loaded .22-250 ackley round.

Both loads are with 52 Berger match bullets.

DSCF0094.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Yes I used quite a hot load to make sure the case was formed nice and sharply also the bullet head was placed 10 thou into lands to keep head space correct.

Cheers

Dave

A wonderful end to a weekend. I took the Ackley for a walk and we managed 7 rabbits out to 220yds.

Al;though I did miss one at 427yds, I haven't quite sussed the trajectory out and shot over him.

Never mind Ray will show me how to do it.

It was great just sitting there ;)

DSCF0096.jpg

Those 52 Bergers are spot on and don't half blow up well ;)

Cheers

Dave

Guest 308Panther

Boy with a backround like that...I can see why it would be easy to miss a shot...

Thats some awesome scenery there....

When did bunnies and foxes come with water wings??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry,Couldnt resist that one....

I remember one time shooting trap after a real heavy frost...The background had alot of frost covered cattails, and some big pines off in the distance..looked like something from a Hallmarkcard..I got so focused on the background I forgot it was my turn to shoot...

308Panther

Quite agree fellas!! What a fantastic place to shoot dave and a cracking picture too :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nice looking rifle by the way!!!

All the best..........

RAY............. :D:rolleyes:

Cheers guys, yes we're very lucky to be blessed with such wonderful scenery. Its great just sitting out there and enjoying watching the world go by, a couple of shots as well is a bonus.

Yes Ray and thanks, i think I'm going to like that Ackley.

Cheers

Dave

Archived