7.62 Musgrave Target Rifle..Fitting a CG Universal Jacksons trigger

Guest varmartin

Guest varmartin

First off sorry about the images as some are crap......

Well i took the plunge and ordered a new two stage trigger from HPS Target Rifles ltd... ( A CG Universal two stage )

Fitting the trigger to the action was a doddle...1 pin and a grub screw...

DSCF1407.jpg

Next i had to relieve the stock so it would fit over the much bigger trigger group.

This was a piece of cake which took 5 mins with a Dremel..

Now the bit i was dreading, relieving the trigger guard so it had the required clearance...

NOTE...I could only use the tools at my disposal.....namely a hand vice and a pillar drill utilising some end mill bits..

Before shot...showing the marked area that needed to be removed..

IMG_2556.jpg

After milling work..

As can be seen the mill bit did wonder as it was `chattering` quite a bit.

DSCF1411.jpg

I had to finish it all by hand with various files and drill a hole to gain access to the main adjusting screws.

Up to this point I have spent about 5 hours milling , drilling and filing , so not a straight forward task, but a very rewarding one.

DSCF1406.jpg

The component parts..

DSCF1408.jpg

All put back together..

DSCF1395.jpg

DSCF1393.jpg

I had the opportunity to try it out today at 100 yards and 500 yards.

I would add it is a dramatic improvement that will take some getting used to but it is showing promise.

A very big thanks goes to ` onehole` again for the use of his tools and making the tea..

Cheers Dave...ps..looking forward to you getting a nice big lathe ..

Guest varmartin
I would think it would make a big difference ,what is the trigger set for ?

cheers Andy ;)

Hi Andy, It came with two springs ( heavy one installed factory set )...I put the lighter one in and adjusted it to approx 250g first stage...3-450g final pull.

Hi Darrel, got this from the Jacksons website...

The CG Universal 2-stage trigger system is adaptable to many different rifle actions including:

ANSCHUTZ

BARNARD*

CG INCH

CG MILLENNIUM*

MAUSER 98*

MUSGRAVE

PARAMOUNT*

PARKER-HALE M85*

PARKER-HALE L81A2*

REMINGTON 700*

RPA 2000*

RPA QUADLITE*

RPA QUADLOCK*

SAKO 75

SAKO FINNFIRE*

SAKO TRG

SPRINGFIELD

SWING*

TIKKA 5xx/6xx*

TIKKA T3*

US 1917 – P14

WEATHERBY MK V

WINCHESTER M70

(* = available 2007)

Guest varmartin
I see a big flat space thats just beggin to be opened up to

take a dbm......

Looks good Martin.

308Panther

That had crossed my mind...but it would definitely need to go to a Gun smith...way beyond my skill level.

Guest varmartin
Nice jub mate sure looks good!:-)

can I ask how much & how does it feel compaired t o a jewle?

cheers Andy

I paid £170.00 posted. from HPS

Compaired to a Jewell.......Imagine a `two stage` Jewell.......thats what its like .. :rolleyes:

I paid £170.00 posted. from HPS

Compaired to a Jewell.......Imagine a `two stage` Jewell.......thats what its like .. :D

Nice that sounds great

thats not bad moneys!

whts the safty look like (if it has one!)

cheers Andy

Had one fitted to my Remmy a little while back and I have to say it's the dogs danglies...love it...wouldn't have a rifle without one!!

Mine too took a long time to fit, good ol' Mr Norris said he'd fit it whilst I waited...well I took the missus and ~3 hours later she was fast asleep in the car when I exited grinning ear to ear. Don't think Mike thought it would take that long too! Great job though and an excellent trigger.

Guest varmartin
Nice that sounds great

thats not bad moneys!

whts the safty look like (if it has one!)

cheers Andy

Hi Andy...The unit I purchased did not have a safety installed, but it can be added to the side plate...as an extra..

My bolt has a `wing` type safety catch a bit like an Anschutz.

Hi Andy...The unit I purchased did not have a safety installed, but it can be added to the side plate...as an extra..

My bolt has a `wing` type safety catch a bit like an Anschutz.

Hi Martin

my rfd spoke to jacksons regarding firment for my M84 & he thinks it possibly will!lol

it lists M85 but he wasnet sure on this 100% to be honest

would love to have a 12oz trigger on this rifle as afer the jewle it feels heaaaaaavy! lol

cheers Andy

• 3 months later...

Hi Martin

the 500g with saftey is now firmly atached to the underside of My M84's action & im off into town to buy a couple of files!lol

well the stock looks like it just needs a slight tweak but the floor plate may need a proper going at as the trigger blade is a fair beast!

feels sweet as a nut at the factory set 1lb & cant wait to get it finished now!

fireing the m84 next to my 243ai with the jewle was the clincher :rolleyes: had to get one then!

Andy

Guest varmartin

Hope you manage to work the floor plate and stock with a few cuts of a file Andy ...

Mine was a fair bit of work .....

It looked a piece of piss to modify , but as I am sure you will find out ...there is always more material to remove than first suspected !!!

Hope it all goes well :rolleyes:

Hope you manage to work the floor plate and stock with a few cuts of a file Andy ...

It looked a piece of piss to modify , but as I am sure you will find out ...there is always more material to remove than first suspected !!!

Hope it all goes well :(

lol yeah me thinks it will be a file on the stock to square out the front & drop floorplate into local enginering shop for a mill out :rolleyes:

going to have a crack at it shortly:-)

Andy

Hope it all goes well :(

lol yeah me thinks it will be a file on the stock to square out the front & drop floorplate into local enginering shop for a mill out :rolleyes:

going to have a crack at it shortly:-)

Andy

stop calling me ..shortly ....LOL

Ha:-)

well so much for a doddle

the unit would drop thru easly if not for the safty unit & arm on the side!

took way more filing then i thought it would but its droped into the stock now & it feels every bit as good as my jewle & its set @ 500g so im going to leave well alone:-)

hopefully ill get the milling done tomorrow & be ready to rock!

Andy

You`ll do good ...take your time and a few pictures on the way ..... ;)

All fitted & ready to rock:-)

feels awsome cant wait to give it a road test!

shame its chucking it down & blowing a gale!:-(

didnt bother with a adjsuting screw hole ill just wip it out of the stock if it needs a tweak!:-0

i took some pics altho its not showing anything urs havent lol

ill bung em up over the weekend anyhows

cheers Andy

Chris

trigger is available from Jackson rifles inthe UK and also from the US

Although I am not sure if the mod 22 is an upgraded trigger unit made in the US - Tom Myers distributes them in the US

I can find no reference of Mod 22 designation on Jacksons site (who make the trigger in the UK)

I think it is more expensive from the US - not sure if they manufacture it over there using different componants - I have two CG's from Jacksons and have fitted maybe ten others - they are great triggers, especially if yu like two stage.

spnet 5 mins dry firing it & id say theres the tinest amount of creeep & zero chance of a dry fire in its pre set 500g setting!

have to have a ganders at the instructions on how to adjsut sear engagement tomorrow methinks!

cheers Andy

Guest varmartin

Sorted then ?....it must have gone well as there are no swear words in your post ....LOL

Had the side plate off it yet and found another spring ? sexy as hell on the inside......it should be anodised ` pink` in there ..... :lol:

Archived