AICS 10 round mag comparison

I'm looking to get another 10 round AICS magazine for my Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor with an Atlasworxs bottom metal conversion.

At the moment I'm trying to decide between the MDT 308 steel magazine for £62 or the Accurate Mag 6.5 Creedmoor specific steel magazine at £89.

Has anyone got either or both or used them and is there enough of a quality difference to justify the almost £30 price difference? 

I've got a 5 round Accurate Mag that does what it should and is perfectly fine but seems expensive compared with others. 

Any .308w AICS pattern Mag will work. IMHO all the ‘Creedmore’ specific type stuff you see around is all a load of mint choc chip, companies just trying to cash in on the craze.

I use .308w AI AICS and Accurate Mag steel mags for 6.5x47L (similar, bit shorter than the Creed but still same .308w case head) without issues.

I also use AI AICS .338LM mags for my .338NM (shorter than .338LM) and also .30-06 in AI AICS .300wm mags…all work totally fine.

I have no doubt you’ll be totally fine with the ‘cheaper’ MDT…assuming they’re proper AICS pattern. 👍

Thanks for that. The Accurate Mag standard 308 is the same price as the specific Creedmoor version it was more is the extra £30 for that brand worth it in terms of quality and reliability compared to the MDT variant when in theory they should be the same specs as they are both AICS pattern mags and made from steel.

Have a browse at these - https://riflemags.co.uk/aics-short-action-magazines/?filters[custom_fields.calibre][0]=.308&filters[custom_fields.model fit][0]=aics short action

I use AICS magazines on both 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The only thing I homed in on was getting magazines without the binder plate to allow for the potentially longer 6.5 Creedmoor round.

Regards

JCS

24 minutes ago, jcampbellsmith said:

Have a browse at these - https://riflemags.co.uk/aics-short-action-magazines/?filters[custom_fields.calibre][0]=.308&filters[custom_fields.model fit][0]=aics short action

I use AICS magazines on both 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The only thing I homed in on was getting magazines without the binder plate to allow for the potentially longer 6.5 Creedmoor round.

Regards

JCS

Yes the 5 round Accurate Mag I have now doesn't have the binder plate so allows for longer rounds. It's a nice mag and works well but if the MDT mag works as well and is £30 cheaper then I'll go for those.

Be aware that mags without a binder plate can be a pita for feeding when the bullet gets stuck under the feed ramp. Even loading 150's I've never needed to load a Creedmoor so long it wouldn't work in a mag with the binder plate. The 10rd MDT ones are a bit shorter than the Accurate Mags as they're double stack so allow more ground clearance, the 12rd MDT mags are the same length but have more space for ammo!

There's a useful diagram here - https://mdttac.ca/308-6-5-creedmoor-mdt-metal-aics-magazine-12-rnd/

10 hours ago, Charlts said:

Be aware that mags without a binder plate can be a pita for feeding when the bullet gets stuck under the feed ramp. Even loading 150's I've never needed to load a Creedmoor so long it wouldn't work in a mag with the binder plate. The 10rd MDT ones are a bit shorter than the Accurate Mags as they're double stack so allow more ground clearance, the 12rd MDT mags are the same length but have more space for ammo!

There's a useful diagram here - https://mdttac.ca/308-6-5-creedmoor-mdt-metal-aics-magazine-12-rnd/

Thank you for that. I've checked my Tikka and the feed ramp is far enough away that even without the binder plate it wouldn't cause an issue at all. I think from reading plenty of reviews the MDT 12 round mag is the way to go and a little saving too compared with the Accurate Mag.

11 hours ago, Nun_hunter said:

Thank you for that. I've checked my Tikka and the feed ramp is far enough away that even without the binder plate it wouldn't cause an issue at all. I think from reading plenty of reviews the MDT 12 round mag is the way to go and a little saving too compared with the Accurate Mag.

Who wouldn't want 20% extra pew?!