NRA,SCC occasional long range shooting at bisley questions, thanks or better?

Hi,

\I’ll try and be brief. Our club is no longer nra affiliated so I can no longer get a scc ( we used to shoot at strensall ) occasionally.

Im a  member of two clubs the other isn’t either. I’m stuck at 100 meters. A few of us would like to reach out further, I personally would like electronic targets or at least steel, hanging around in the butts got real boring real quick. Bisley would seem to be a good idea.

so I need to join the NRA at £88 a year. Ok not too bad.

Spoke with a very helpful lady today but I’m a bit dense so your help would be appreciated.

she said I could get an scc once  I was a member of the nra, but is there a probation period like other clubs?

how do I get a scc from bisley will I need to take a course or something?

once I have an scc can I just rent an electronic lane for a morning 1200 that 3 or 4 of us can share?

thanks in advance I’ve never been there but it seems perfect. Just unsure of how it work. Website confused me, please use small words :)

If you have an FAC then you join the NRA.

Having joined, you ask for an SCC assessment for the categories you want/need e.g.

Scoped Rifle

Iron Sighted Rifle

Gallery Rifle

HME

Target Shotgun 

They will book you in, you attend, take a multiple choice safety exam (they'll give you the material in advance, if needed), then you go out to the range and do some shooting under observation to make sure you are A, safe and B, can hit the target.

Once that is done, the office will normally issue the SCC there and then. If you want more than one category, try and arrange all on the same day.

Once you have the SCC you can book Bisley ranges whenever you like as an individual or as part of a group, mark your own, pay for a marker or use the electronics. If part of a group then all of you will need an SCC.

It sounds complicated, but it is very simple. I have added HME and Gallery to my SCC on this basis and both times it was a very simple process.

You also get personal insurance in that £88 and that's very useful.

You will need to pass their SCC training for each endorsement category.  I believe it's an additional cost but I may be wrong.

Once you're a member with an SCC you can book lanes and crack on.  Yes you can book and share but all persons must have an SCC and be members of the NRA although non-NRA guests may be allowed- others will know.

Thanks for the replies very much appreciated. I’ve just downloaded their application form

im guessing the scc training is this assessment fee they mention below Which seems a bit steep. 

not sure how many times I have to prove I’m safe, from above they won’t even take into account my PSA membership or membership of two clubs I had to do probation for as proof I’ll not shoot my foot off.  Up until 2018 I was paying £10 for the scc.

oh well it is what it is.  Not too bad I suppose over all.
I dint think my mates will want to spend that much but I will pass on the info to them.

AE2B4040-69F2-44A7-8495-07754B033CD9.png

Not sure if that is it. I think that might be for Probationers. Ask them. I think my Gallery Rifle assessment was £35, from memory.

They are the ones issuing the SCC so they want to know you are safe, they have to pay their staff, so everything costs. 

You only have to pay once so get as many categories as you need.

Shooting is expensive. People can pay £1 a round or more for ammo, then think the FAC fees, or £88 to join the NRA is expensive. The ranges at Bisley are superb, worth every penny If you make use of them.

9 minutes ago, Roy W said:

Not sure if that is it. I think that might be for Probationers. Ask them. I think my Gallery Rifle assessment was £35, from memory.

They are the ones issuing the SCC so they want to know you are safe, they have to pay their staff, so everything costs. 

Shooting is expensive. People can pay £1 a round or more for ammo, then think the FAC fees, or £88 to join the NRA is expensive. The ranges at Bisley are superb, worth every penny If you make use of them.

what Roy says

10 minutes ago, Roy W said:

Thanks for the replies I’ve just downloaded their application form

Yes

im guessing the scc training is this 

Thanks Roy,

yes I’ll ring again tomorrow. Yes £35 is a lot more reasonable. ( I’m not just tight covid had hit finances quite a bit) oh belive me I know how much this hobby costs. Well I do now since I actually had to work out how much I was spending :) 

that would be great if that’s all it costs for us to get access a few times a year. Perfectly acceptable in fact seems a bargain.

My assessment was for one category, maybe that's why. Work out what categories you want on the SCC and specifically ask for that.

The range fees aren't too bad. Three of us had a lane yesterday, all morning, at 200&300. The lane cost us £33.

We chose to pay for a marker on top to get more shooting done, but could easily have marked ourselves.

Electronics are about £18 an hour I think. You can shoot a lot of ammo in an hour! 

Yes range fees are fine. Surprisingly reasonable.

we’d only want scoped rifle for long range probably possible iron sights for me and my lever actions to shoot further out maybe so might add that.

. We have access to everything else including target shotgun whenever we want do probably wouldn’t take that long drive for anything else. 

thanks again looks like it will suit us fine. 

• 6 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread.. figured it'd be better than posting a new one.

I too am looking at joining NRA to shoot a few times at Bisley but have a couple questions. 

I am member of a HO Club and have an NRA SCC through them. However due to shifts and general range availability at the moment with the military using their ranges more (how very dare they), I'm lucky if I get to shoot once every other month.

My question is, I've just bought an AI AT and want to gather some data for it.

Does Bisley have the facility for me to book an hour at 200, 400, 600 and 800 for example on the same day? 

You pay by the hour for electronic targets , which depending on day of the week are 100,200,300,600,900,1000

Or, you book a lane for half a day/full day and choose fallback distances. They then allocate a lane at each distance for you and you choose how much time you spend on each one.

Not all distances are available every day

You may get a mix of ranges, Short Siberia 100/200, Century 1-600, Stickledown 8-1200

You rarely get everything you want on one session.

You'll also need a marker if you are using electronics. Add £100 ish per day £50-60 half day

Or, take someone with you that knows what they are doing and agrees to mark for you.

So to clarify.. would booking a lane for half day with say 3 fallback distances be a single half day cost? Or 4 half day costs?

Either way that sounds like the way to go. I just want to get some confirmed data for as many ranges as possible so I can start going to some PRS shoots.