Found this today.......

Guest martin

Guest martin

There are no signs of this Roe Doe having been shot,and,she(although being dead)looks to be in good condition,so,my question is.............what happened,it seems to of been dead for a few days,and,it is obvious that a few things have stopped for a munch,but,could this be a 'Big Cat' kill?

DSC_0065-2.jpg

DSC_0057-4.jpg

DSC_0062-2.jpg

DSC_0063-1.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0059-1.jpg

Look how the throat is gone. The throat is normally only taken out if it has been killed and not if the animal dies naturally.

There are cats out there !!!

Ads

There are no signs of this Roe Doe having been shot,and,she(although being dead)looks to be in good condition,so,my question is.............what happened,it seems to of been dead for a few days,and,it is obvious that a few things have stopped for a munch,but,could this be a 'Big Cat' kill?

Shattered ribs look big cat -ish. But how near to a road was this?

Just to add to Ads post above, dogs will normally go for the throat or muzzle and try to suffocate the animal. In theses regions (particularly the soft nose) you should find bite marks. Cats will often do a similar thing or claw their way up the back, if the animal is moving. An easy (but a bit expensive) way to find out, is to take damaged areas of flesh to a laboratory (veterinary universities will often help) and they can analyze any saliva or subsequent bacteria that are growing. From these you can deduce the likely animal that caused the attack.

This would be a classic case for a stealth camera. Cats I believe generally come back to a kill. Badgers and foxes will also return each evening until all is consumed.

I have seen many sheep and deer carcases that have been scavenged by fox and badger, but never eaten out like that.

Bit off topic, but I shot a fox 2 years ago which I left where it fell as there were 2 others on the same field. I went back to pick it up the next morning and it was nowhere to be seen. I let my dog have a cast around and he came on to it in a little spinney 50 yards away. All that was left was the skull, back bone and a few tatters of flesh and fur. Could it have been a cat?, maybe badgers but they're definately out there. Good idea about the university analysis.

Gareth, I did the same only to find nothing but fur, this was on a patch of ground where they're isnt any badgers but was teaming with foxes ( emthasis in WAS :) ), im assuming the foxes where stretched for food and so they cleaned it up??

Martin, U aint got a problem with poachers do you? As it looks as though shes taken a 22 sub to the stomach, healthy deer dont normally drop dead, 22 hole can be hard to find in the mess!

Guest martin

I don't know of anyone else that shoots,or even runs dogs in the area where she is/was,but,tonight I was up there,and,although there was no activity on the actual kill,there was 2-3 foxes and 5 badgers in the surrounding fields.The curious part to all of this,is,seeing as it has only been dead approximately 2 days,there seems to be an awful lot of meat/bone gone.I will add that I don't actually think it is a big cat kill,but,it is a bit of an odd one...............'M'

p.s. there is a small laneway about 100yds away,so,it is a possiblility that it was an RTA.

Guest varmartin

Judging by the ` pissed off `look in its eye, i would say a late model Transit TDCi...most likely in white.......if it was a Renault it would have been in the hedge with it ...

Guest martin

Here is an update,I went to have a look today,and,it was gone.But,I looked about,and,it had been dragged about 20yds up the wood,and,as you can see in the pics it has virtually all gone now.It just seems to me that that is an awful lot of meat gone in 24hrs................................

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

Sorry about the quality but it was just the phone camera...........'M'

The amount of meat gone is not surprising.

I shot a fox a while ago and it was a lovely clean head shot. The head was smashed to bits but from the neck down the animal was mint. This was in the middle of a field. The next day my lad said can we go see it. When we got there nothing was to be found. I found it in a load of bracken and the neck and forelegs were well trimmed. Pulled it into the field and went back the next day. Same again animal gone, when found only bare bones and tail left.

I put it down to badgers.

A friend shot a deer one evening and try as we might we couldn't find it in this wood. Next morning we went back to look at 6.00 and the shot had hit a bit back so allowing it to run about 250 yds. The stomach area was gone and the rump steak patch was bare. That was only around 12 hours and a lot of the foxes had been shot on there.

On the big cat theory a shooting colleague who drives early mornings for a job, reckons he saw one near thirsk about 2 weeks ago.

A farmer local to us complained he was having some fox trouble so we went for a look. He'd lost a ewe a couple of nights before so he came for a ride to show us where the animal lay. We arrived to find three badgers on the carcass, we hung around a couple of hours to see if Toby would put in an appearance but no luck.

We asked if he would leave the ewe where she was and we'd return the following evening, we sat and watched with the night viz and at one stage there were seven badgers at the carcass and no sign of any fox. Badgers will strip a carcass without any problem, ask any keeper about the amount of damage they can do when they decide they're going somewhere you don't want them to.

Funnily enough, an awful lot of badgers seem to get run down on the roads in our neck of the woods, probably means there's too many I suppose.

Pete.

I have recently ( 3 weeks or so ago) shot two dog foxes within 100 yards of a large badger set. One of the fox bodies I took and threw into a game plot no more than 30 yards from the set. Neither have been touched when I last looked a few days ago. But I cant see what else other than fox & badger and maybe a bit of buzzard will cause that carcase damage in the pics.

A

My patch of ground which i shoot over definitly has a big cat on it, i havent seen him in day light but i picked him up in the lamp one night last year, and the woman who lives at the farmhouse said she saw a large black animal with a broomstick like tail walk across the bottom of one of the horse paddocks a month or two ago!

May need to start saving the pennies for abit of taxidermy in the future :lol:

I was told but I don't know if the technical accuracy is correct that you can't shoot the big cats if there not on your ticket (makes sense) but also because they are protected.

If this is true a bit of taxidermy could turn very expensive :lol:

Anybody know different?

I was told but I don't know if the technical accuracy is correct that you can't shoot the big cats if there not on your ticket (makes sense) but also because they are protected.

If this is true a bit of taxidermy could turn very expensive :lol:

Anybody know different?

Protection of livestock.

Pete.

My firearms ticket states in the conditions

" The shooting of vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife"

Other wildlife to me sounds like a big cat,

Anyway in my defence in the witness box all i gotta say is

"IT WAS COMING RIGHT FORM ME" :lol:

" The shooting of vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife"

As above, this is on my ticket too.

Also since a big cat it is not classed as a 'resident species' it could be shot without any legal implications. As far as the law goes, since it is not native or under any UK classification, it simply does not exist, so you cannot be prosecuted for killing it (providing everything else like permissions etc. are above board).

I've got a 40Kg Beaver on one of my permissions and while I would only shoot it with a camera, since they became extinct in the UK in the 13th century they are similarly exempt.

Abit off topic but Tiff you should be able to answer me here,

Under the condition of "management of any estate", does that technically mean i could humanly dispatch livestock if i so were asked to do?

Or does it come under its own condition?

Just a randon query ive had for awhile??

Abit off topic but Tiff you should be able to answer me here,

Under the condition of "management of any estate", does that technically mean i could humanly dispatch livestock if i so were asked to do?

Or does it come under its own condition?

Just a randon query ive had for awhile??

Shrek, a friend with the same wording "management of any estate" and I were talking about this and we took it to mean that yes you could shoot the cow etc with a broken leg.

Funny thing is he just tried to get vermin shooting on his 308 and North Yorks police have denied it. They will only give him deer and fox. Apparently they don't like the word vermin presumably because you could be taking shots at squirrels in trees with your super duper magnum ;)

Archived