Fantasy Rimfire Cartridge

JDT

I was just thinking today, with the increasing popularity of .22LR semi-auto AR15s, wouldn't it be brilliant if someone could be bothered to invest the time and money to develop a new .22 rimfire cartridge tailored to squeeze the most out of UK legislation for longer range (accurate / flatter trajectory) semi-auto shooting.

I'm not talking seriously far, just a decent extended range to, say, around 200 yards quite flat. For UK semi-auto it would obviously have to be .22, and magnum to push the distance but imagine if it was designed from the ground up for mag feeding into an AR15 with a decent ballistic co-efficient as well, would be a great new little round.

I know some builders are doing this with .22 WMR already, but with centrefire precision rifle seemingly getting a new 6mm calibre every month it would be nice to give our UK-specific limitation some love and attention! Wish someone like Eley would take up the fantasy challenge.

If my memory serves me right, the .22 Spitfire, which had 22 Hornet-like performance, was based on the 30 Carbine case necked-down to .22? A quick check online and in reference books (Cartridges of the World) confirms this. Maybe there was a rimfire version too?

The 17 WSM could be used as a necked-up donor case for what I shall call the '22 Super Magnum', but the performance is still going to be some way below even the 22 Hornet, and nowhere near the 223 Remington.

7 hours ago, saddler said:

Nice - but wrong digits!
ONLY .22 rim-fire was named as an exemption caliber when semi-auto rifles were banned

Could be necked-up to .22, would be fast with a Hornady V-Max 35 grain .22 for the bullet. Might get better performance from a V-Max 55grain with .255 bc (g1). Volquartsen would just be a drop in barrel exchange from the 17WSM. 

Neck expansion and bullet seating would have to be done….carefully.