Anyone shooting a 6.5x47 or 6x47 ?

As above, would like to hear the pro's and con's from someone that actually owns one of the above cals.

Ads ;)

Elwood,

Cheers, i was looking into the 6.5x55 but wondered what the 6.5x47 was like. It would be for stalking and like the idea of the short action as apposed to the long action 6.5x55. How does yours stand up for stalking ?.

What sort of bullets are you using and what kind of velocity?.

cheers

Ads

I only use mine for target work. It pushes a 123 grain scenar at 3000 fps, with vhit 540. Both my shooting buddies get 3150 with the same bullet and reloder 15.

I think i,ve done over a dozen that have been specifically for deer, and most people seem to want to shoot the 129 grain sst from it, so again, i would think 3000 fps would be attainable with that bullet also.

If you want to shoot the 140 grain bullets, you would be better with the .260 rem. Its a bigger case, but still short action, and will handle the heavier bullets as well as a swede, but more efficiently [ 140 grain class] The swede will come into its own with the heavier 160 grain area bullets.

I cant comment on what it does to a deer, but havent heard anyone complain about it.

Brass and dies are expensive for the 6.5x47, a bit cheaper for the .260 You dont even have to form it now. Nosler make custom brass for it, and its beautiful. I sent a .260 to proof on monday, and i,d ran some of this brass through it....its lovely stuff.

If you want that little bit more, then go with a .260 ackley...that will do it all i reckon.

Thanks for the info Dave, I did look at the 260AI but was kean to stay as standard as poss. Were would you put the 6.5x55 then compaired to the 260rem ?

Ads

I shoot a 6.5x47 Lapua for deer. I use a load of 37gn of Vit N135 with a 100gn Nosler BT this pushes along at an average of 3008 fps. I have shot both reds and roe with it and have been pleased with the performance .

Dasherman has just built me a 6x47 lapua , it is early days yet but it loves 105 Amax so should be interesting.

Cheers

Dave

I have 6.5x47 for target and 6.5x284 for deer.

The "47" is ideal for 130g bullets, and I know three lads who use 129g SST on reds in this calibre.

No problem at all.

I use mine for targets only.

It will burn barrels like any other calibre if your pushing them along at 2900 +

260 is better all round compromise (for heavier bullets)

260AI is awesome, just built one with two barrels - read into that what you will.....but it shoots in the .2's ;)

Anyway returning to topic, the 47 has minimal recoil, uses circa 37g powder and is pretty damn accurate.

Gets my vote as a great all rounder (providing you dont want to use 140's)

Whats the pros and cons between a 6 x 47 and a 6 mmBR.

Fancied a BR but not convinced about the feeding and I don't want a single shot.

Also whats the pros and cons of a 6 x 47 against a 243 ?

Cheers

The 6x47 should mag feed without any issues against the 6BR as it is a longer cartridge, although mine is a single shot and I don't worry about those issues.

The 6x47 adds a fair bit of extra horse power over the 6BR but at the cost of increased powder charges and increased barrel wear.

The 6x47 Lapua operates at 63000 psi and can knock on the door of .243 performance out of a more compact package.

Cheers

Dave

There are also reports of the 6x47 giving around 50 reloads out of a lapua case :rolleyes: . runs on a small primer as well compaired to the 243win. It is also good at with holding pressure meaning you can juice up the fps without showing too much signs or pressure.

Ads

Ok so lets move this up a gear. If you were to want a 6.5 for deer and forgetting about the costs in running the rifle (powders, re-barrel, barrel burner etc etc) what would you go for and why? The ultimate 6.5

This goes out to anyone :rolleyes:

Ads

Are you frightened the 6 x 47 isn't big enough as you seem to be favouring the 6.5 route?

What are you intending to use it for? reds ?

Anybody got any good links to 6 x 47 detail? and whats this like for brass availability and barrel life?

Are you frightened the 6 x 47 isn't big enough as you seem to be favouring the 6.5 route?

What are you intending to use it for? reds ?

Anybody got any good links to 6 x 47 detail? and whats this like for brass availability and barrel life?

Not frightened no but i have the 6mm PPC and i would be swapping the new rifle for a 243AI so would like to step up to the 6.5. Ideally i would like to go up to 7mm but getting cases for the wsm is a bitch.

Is there not some info on the 6x47 on www.6mmbr.com ?.

My 6.5x47 was built primarily as a stalking rifle but was also needed to double up as a range rifle, I was looking for a rifle weighing 12lbs or less.

For stalking I'm using Hornady 120 Amax and 120 Sierra Spitzers, both work extremely well for knocking over deer, mainly Fallow.

For target work I'm using Sierra 123 MK and 120 Amax, so far the Amax have been the most accurate so I will probably end up using just the Amax for both target and stalking. Having said that I have a box of Berger 130 gr VLD's that I will try out for target work sometime soon.

As a stalking caliber I can't fault it, mild recoil and very accurate, I suppose the bullet choice is a little limited but there's still enough choice to be able to pick and choose what works well for you.

Brass is expensive at £90 per 100, but if you can get 10 reloads per case then 9p isn't quite so bad.

. Ideally i would like to go up to 7mm but getting cases for the wsm is a bitch.

Tell me all about it, I bought the last 50 cases in the country, and when you get them they are truly crap, Winchester should be sued with their quality control statement.

Anyway back to 6.5's :rolleyes:

Tell me all about it, I bought the last 50 cases in the country, and when you get them they are truly crap, Winchester should be sued with their quality control statement.

Anyway back to 6.5's :D

If i could get 100 cases for the wsm i would make the call and commision the 7WSM tonight. Just not going to happen though is it ? :lol: .

I must admit, i am swaying towards the 6.5x47.

What about the other two though, 6.5x55 and the 6.5x284 ???

I know i know im getting boring now :rolleyes::)

Ads

What about the other two though, 6.5x55 and the 6.5x284 ???

Ads

Slow or fast take your pick..................................... barrel erosion that is :rolleyes:

I know were your coming from but if you get 1000 accurate rounds out the 284 for a stalking rifle for me that would last at least 3 years. :rolleyes:

Ads

Ads

7mm WSM cases are easy to find,,,,I have 100 not three feet from me :)

Dont discount the 7mmWSM or its varient - 7mm - 270/300WSM if you want to use better brass - I have 400 Norma 300 WSM cases above me in my den, turned prepped and ready for my 7mm/ 270WSM F Class rifle and the eagerly awited 7mm /300WSM deer gun :rolleyes:

Returning to the question, no object, whats best in 6,5mm terms.

I have to say that I love the 6.5x284 it does all I ask it to with no issues, reliable, feeds from mag, hits any deer hard and damn accurate. Downside is long action so it takes two or three milliseconds longer to cycle the bolt for the next shot :D

I am waiting for a replacement barrel for mine, it should be shipped next week, I will be doing the rifle in the same calibre, no question.

If you want ultimate speed try the 260AI, even hotter than the "284".....3300 from a 130grainer and 3100 with a 140 :lol:

200fps benefit over the 284, hmmif it was 400+fps gain I may be interested.

No, best all rounder for deer in MHO, is still the 284.

But I like the "47" too :lol:

Ads

7mm WSM cases are easy to find,,,,I have 100 not three feet from me :)

Dont discount the 7mmWSM or its varient - 7mm - 270/300WSM if you want to use better brass - I have 400 Norma 300 WSM cases above me in my den, turned prepped and ready for my 7mm/ 270WSM F Class rifle and the eagerly awited 7mm /300WSM deer gun :rolleyes:

Returning to the question, no object, whats best in 6mm terms.

I have to say that I love the 6.5x284 it does all I ask it to with no issues, reliable, feeds from mag, hits any deer hard and damn accurate. Downside is long action so it takes two or three milliseconds longer to cycle the bolt for the next shot :D

I am waiting for a replacement barrel for mine, it should be shipped next week, I will be doing the rifle in the same calibre, no question.

If you want ultimate speed try the 260AI, even hotter than the "284".....3300 from a 130grainer and 3100 with a 140 :)

200fps benefit over the 284, hmmif it was 400+fps gain I may be interested.

No, best all rounder for deer in MHO, is still the 284.

But I like the "47" too :)

Proverbial spanner in the works that is :lol: . I have the chance of a long action sako too :lol:

Ads

Have another spanner

Surgeon make damn good WSM action ready made to shoot WSM from S/A length mag.

You may have to seat the bullet a little deep, but it works.

Another spanner

I know where there is an excellent SAko 995 just itching for a re-barrel in WSM...........

Sorry :rolleyes:

Have another spanner

Surgeon make damn good WSM action ready made to shoot WSM from S/A length mag.

You may have to seat the bullet a little deep, but it works.

Another spanner

I know where there is an excellent SAko 995 just itching for a re-barrel in WSM...........

Sorry :lol:

I thought you were a gunsmith not a fricken mechanic ?? Far you getting all these spanners ??. :D

Is the sako 995 not a steel action ?. Would want a SS action if going down the sako road :) .

I have been offered a SS 270 for £500 = 6.5x284 :rolleyes:

995 is one of their best, the precurser to the TRG in a hunting stock.

Alas it is steel not stainless.

Your 270 will make a nice 6.5x284.

Archived