What would you buy?

Derekhogg

3 minutes ago, Derekhogg said:

Hi What would you buy a second hand atacr 7-35-56 or should I buy a pm11 or a new delta stryker 5-50-56? I need a long range high power scope for a new rifle.

I have a PM11 5-25 x56 on my .338LM and a Delta Stryker on my 6.5CM.  Both excellent (the PM11 is my fav).  Can't see anything wrong with an ATACR.  I have a Nightforce Comp on my .308

Work out what drop you need at your maximum range and what mount/rail options you have, that should help refine the choice when you consider max elevation adjustment

My decision is hard in the way that I like my atacr that I have and I also have x30 power deltas and they are good for the money I’m just not a 100% on the 5-50 delta reticle so atacr would be the way but price is a issue unless I can find a nice second hand 7-35?? The pm11 will b a good hardy scope I’m convinced of that but I think the delta and atacr are more advanced  

I've compared my ffp 30x Stryker alongside my mates ffp 7-35 ATACR, looking at steel out to 1600 or so. To me, the ATACR wins every time on clarity and the control of parallax (which is a wee bit of a let down on the Stryker. But then the ATACR is circa 2.5 times the price. If I was regularly into actual target stuff at those ranges, I'd go ATACR.

Like Popsbengo I have both. The PM11 has the edge on contrast and colour (to my eyes) but I am a covert to Delta. It has to be the caveat with  ‘at the price point’ but they are still great. If I could find a Delta Titanium 3-24x56 in moa I would buy in a heart beat brightest image I have seen.

My 5-50 is a SFP MOA (old fart!) out of choice. The one thing that has steered me away from Nightforce is the mag being on the ocular bell (as I understand it) I too would favour my PM11 over almost anything but a couple of guys I know have IOR Crusaders...lovely scopes!

Yea it’s looking like either the sfp delta 5-50-56 or the second hand  pm11!! I do think the 4.5-30 delta is better than the atacr at last light so I am maybe being to much of a scope snob by trying to get another atacr just.

I'm used to both NXS and ATACR N/Fs as well as Swaros. I shoot F Class as well as hunt. One of my fullbore clubmates has a 5-50 Delta and some of us looked through it one day. It is razor sharp but without exception, all of us were struck by just how critical the eye relief is when you get above say 35X. Put me right off.

10 minutes ago, Chris-NZ said:

I'm used to both NXS and ATACR N/Fs as well as Swaros. I shoot F Class as well as hunt. One of my fullbore clubmates has a 5-50 Delta and some of us looked through it one day. It is razor sharp but without exception, all of us were struck by just how critical the eye relief is when you get above say 35X. Put me right off.

Very interesting thanks for that information,maybe the x30 is a better choice ? Or the pm11? Oh gif I just can’t decide 

1 hour ago, Chris-NZ said:

I find that the eye-box is critical on anything with high magnification, it's a function of focal length.  I find that a well set up comb-hight and pull length is all that's needed - in fact it makes it necessary to have a proper and repeatable head position every time.  On 55x with my NF Comp there's zero latitude for eye position - this is not an issue for me when shooting off a bipod and bag.  A bigger issue is mirage from a hot barrel.   The Delta Stryker is no worse than the NF and has a marginally brighter picture (bigger objective) with excellent sharpness - all that and won't break the bank!

The S&B PM11 at 25x is more forgiving as it should be for 1 mile shots when it's necessary to get straight back on target to watch the splash,  I wouldn't go any higher in magnification when shooting 1 moa steel.

I must admit that the only scope I have that has absolutely precise parallax adjustment is the S&B.  The NF and Delta are a fraction off when perfectly focused (head bob test) however I wonder if it's a function of having to set the ocular to compensate for old eyes and the higher magnification working against each other ?  Doesn't seem to matter anyway 😁

Popsbengo...an informed opinion. I trained as a professional photographer, what he says is correct at higher magnifications the, so called ‘eye box’ becomes more critical. It is the same effect as a zooming a telephoto lens. The field of view narrows (the exit pupil diameter) and the eye relief narrows (decreased depth of field) for scope positioning and parallax compensation should always be set for maximum usable magnification, this makes sure you are best positioned at this mag and that anything less than this gives you more latitude and increases the ‘eye box’. Ditto on young eyes, mine are old and tired, like me, and it does have a definite influence, thank heavens I don’t yet have to wear spectacles I don’t know how wearers deal with that added complexity! 

5 hours ago, Woodlander said:

Have you considered the 12-50 PM11?  

No I never thought about it to be fair I was just looking at the x35 n/f or the x50 delta or the x25 pm11?? I want high mag really so x30 is a minimum max zoom if you get my thinking, finding a 12-50 pm11 is the other task but I would definitely be interested in one