AR 15 SBR

DSCN0169.jpg

I wanted a new toy for my range. I have stayed away from an AR15 in the past – all monkey metal and plastic, well it is true but on the other hand it is also like meccano for big kids – build it the way you want. I decided I wanted a short barrel, in this case 10.5” and it may as well be piston driven to help the short barrel and keep it clean.

What fit the bill was a PAR MK1 in 223 Rem– Czech built piston driven AR15. The pics show the similarities between it and a HK416. The Proarms better suited my needs, barrel length that I wanted (barrel is Lothar Walther, heavy, fluted) and AR15 spec lower – easy upper changes and after market bits and a piston that does not have the HK rep for bending.

DSCN0168.jpg

Factory spec includes the 1 piece picatinny fore rail, Lothar Walther barrel, CAA collapse able stock, tritium / fibre BUIS. I added the Surefire x200b, bipod grip, Branson compensator and a Jewell trigger and a set of rail covers. Mags are P mags – its semi-auto, had it been full auto that would have been more fun and mags would have been Beta`s.

Factory barrel length options go out to 18” I think but I went short compact – the length won’t affect accuracy (unless we want to get into the semantic of muzzle pressure v stiffness v tune ability etc) but in effect a short barrel affects velocity not accuracy.

DSCN0171.jpg

Optic is a USO sn12s, but will be replaced with a USO 1.8-10x37 when it arrives.

The idea behind the rifle was a do-it-all from 2m to 200m, we run some “biathlon” type comps at my range – think cross country with a bit of crawling through, over or under things with shooting during the circuits.

I may do a range report on it when the new USO is on it and I have had a chance to do a night shoot or two with it. At the moment though I can say that I am impressed with the quality and fit of components………I should have done it years ago.

That looks amazing :D. I'm thinking a move to free Europe could be following shortly......

How do you find the USO on there at the moment, with regards to eye relief?

Hi Tiff,

I would say the eye relief is very forgiving. It has a very fine mildot reticule but I do not loose it even when changing shoulders. I also tried the stock at a couple of different lengths (not extreme) but made no difference.

David.

Hi Darrel,

The down side to living here is no moderators - which is a shame, a short barreled AR would work really well with a moderator for small pig and bambi.

Something else I was considering was a Steyr AUG - I think that would make a good Land Rover / fox gun. Sort of thing you can live with banging about a bit. Also available in the UK as a straight pull - the leaver being in the right place on the left hand side.

When I shot one it was fine with cheapo ammunition until you use or rest it on the fore grip - it is part of the barrel, then groups became gatherings. The trigger also sucks about 9lbs but can be got down to about 6lbs with a trigger tamer.

David.

Here's my cab gun, not a semi auto, but the loading handle is also on the right side (left hand) for when you need quick reloads when your cubbing.

P6220016.jpg

The most fun I've had with any of the .223's I've owned. If it wasn't for the hard extraction problems with straight pull I'd have an AR10 as well.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

That looks really nice - I have definate moderator envy.

Who did the work - SGC or Bradders?

If I take to the AR I was thinking of a longer one in 6.5 Grendel for comp stuff.

David.

David

lovely, if only we were back in the 80's and Mr Hamilton and Mr Ryan had had their FAC's revoked.....

Look forwards to having a go with that one day ;)

Hi Ronin,

Your more than welcome to have a go with it and other toys whenever your over.

I went through the Hamilton and Ryan thing as well and do not want to rub it in.

David.

Hi Pete,

That looks really nice - I have definate moderator envy.

Who did the work - SGC or Bradders?

If I take to the AR I was thinking of a longer one in 6.5 Grendel for comp stuff.

David.

Hi David, Bradders did the work for me, this is a seriously accurate rifle. 20" cut rifled Border barrel,1in8twist, Giesselle match trigger, YHM forend, MIAD grip and spacer to shift grip back. Shoots everything from 40grn Blitzking to 75grn A-max with blinding accuracy.

He promised me it would shoot and I can't fault his build, top man on AR's.

Pete.

Very nice David.

As you know I'm getting nostalgic feelings for an AR15 again but I'm thinking 30 Whisper maybe.

Cornishman

PS - with a moderator obviously.

My mate is picking up his 30 Whisper from Bradders next week, he wants it for gallery shooting. I can't wait to have a go.

Pete.

A bit of s brief range report on the AR, I was doing a course for a police shooting instructor - pistol & rifle. He had his own Siaga (AK47) and gen2+ NV kit. We started early at noon, barricade shooting, fartlek training (short sprint running - but pick up a gun part and assemble......the idea is a bit of physical stress, loss of some fine motor skills and then shoot). Progression on to shooting and moving in pairs - elbow to shoulder. After a late lunch were did the night stuff, use of a weapon flashlight, then I did the flashlight bit - spot and sweep for targets. Then on to the NV stuff.

He was on his own with the NV but we could ID targets at 50+m and with good depth of field - closer was a bit better. This was a single eye piece head mounted unit - after 1/2 hour you do get eye strain from using it, a double eye-piece solves this problem. Final exercise - was a trek through the woods , find ID and shoot targets - using NV.

Weapons, his Siaga worked very well, more than accurate enough and mainly he had the right accessories, pistol was Glock which worked fine also.

AR15, I got it zeroed at 50m, not really trying for accuracy I got a 1/2" group, which is ok but not surprising. Ammunition was Remmy UMC - cheap. It functioned perfectly, I fired about 60 rounds. The torch is a bit small - good to 15m then not, but it is a pistol torch and for me it only needs to light up a room. By contrast Surefire M2 and M3 gave plenty of illumination to 50m and more.

Muzzle brake - worked fine, too well - this is the first time I have experienced negative recoil - muzzle goes down, also too much flash with it. No question ideal would be a moderator. It is much quicker to shoot 223 than 7.62x39 as well, no big loss of target / sight picture.

I did some other stuff as well - use of MOUT slings, this I will do again in a vehicle based course.

Conclusion, the AR works well but I need to sort the accessories better. I will get to testing it out to 300m soonish.

david.

• 2 months later...

Something else I was considering was a Steyr AUG ... The trigger also sucks about 9lbs but can be got down to about 6lbs with a trigger tamer.

David.

Know what you mean. Once was allowed a go with a (full auto) NZ Army one.

The guy gave me the 3 second tour before handing it over. I lined up, pulled the trigger and nothing! Asked him how to turn the safety off and he said "It's already off, just pull harder"

Interesting to fire, very difficult to stop the muzzle climbing under full auto. Bloody horrible stock from memory and the ??1.4X scope was hopeless for any precision use.

Chris

Archived