.22AR not fully loading rounds

Adamdavi3s

All,

I have a very old tacsol ar15, cheap and cheerful and good fun.

At the moment every few rounds it’s refusing to fully load a round, in that the trigger clicks, I wait 30s, drop the mag, pull the charging handle and I can see the round protruding 1/2 way out of the chamber. Letting the charging handle go seats the round and it will fire fine. 

I have stripped cleaned and oiled everything. 

I’m using it with the blackdog mags it came with, plastic lipped versions and I am wondering if they might be the problem, or Is it more likely something else? 

That’s what I wondered, just seemed to be a weird issue so wasn’t sure if it was the bolt.

I wondered about the S&W mags, but wasn’t sure if I needed (or should try) the Boonie Packer 

*edit* Ok so I don’t think the boonie will work with a tac sol. I wonder if it’s simply ammo, I’ve realise I was running club in it today and moderated, rather than action / contact that I normally use so I bet it just didn’t have the oomph to cycle properly.

My mind just went to bolt / chamber issues as it’s resetting the trigger and ejecting fine, just the next round feed which isn’t happening correctly.

I’ve ordered a steel lips black dog to see if it helps

edit2: It’s not ammo as I’ve had the issue on the first round 

Edited by Adamdavi3s

Try to ascertain if the underside of the bolt is dragging on the mag lips - a swipe with a sharpie maybe...

Does the bolt cycle differently with and without a mag?

I had a similar problem with a spikes upper on my existing lower and it just needed a tad taking off the top of each mag.  The slight drag was slowing the bolt just enough to cause an issue.

Just now, TC said:

Try to ascertain if the underside of the bolt is dragging on the mag lips - a swipe with a sharpie maybe...

Does the bolt cycle differently with and without a mag?

I had a similar problem with a spikes upper on my existing lower and it just needed a tad taking off the top of each mag.  The slight drag was slowing the bolt just enough to cause an issue.

It doesn’t feel different but that is a good shout, I’ll sharpie the mag up and see how it goes thank you! 

Is the extractor clipping over the rim of the round? Or struggling to get over it and holding the bolt open by a fraction of a mm?

I think it'll be an extractor issue.   Pop it out. Clean it. Check the extractor spring.  Look to see if it slips easily over a chambered round's rim to grab it.

16 hours ago, brown dog said:

Is the extractor clipping over the rim of the round? Or struggling to get over it and holding the bolt open by a fraction of a mm?

I think it'll be an extractor issue.   Pop it out. Clean it. Check the extractor spring.  Look to see if it slips easily over a chambered round's rim to grab it.

Cool thank you, I’ve not delved into the bolt in a lot of detail yet, I’m aware it’s very different to the .223 one. 
 It looks like it’s fully closing but I think you could be correct and it’s just not quite closing enough for the firing pin to engage

Proper delve into it this weekend so I can understand how it works. I also have some 22 snap caps to assist