Hi All,

Does anyone have contact details for the UK distributor for IOR scopes?

I thought it was The Rifle Store but I can't fine a number for them and they're not responding to my emails.

Also, any retailers of IOR scopes in the UK?

There isnt an importer at the moment, but i belive someone is looking into it. The riflestore have ceased trading. If you need help, contact the factory direct, they are very helpfull indeed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

IOR scopes are optically as good as any scope made, bar none. They are however built like a tank, and this can put people off. I have one, and will shortly be having another....they are half the price of a schmidt.

Just been looking at these again on & they do look great!

are they that good in low light & when lamping?

what focal plane are they & do they do a fine duplex type ret(varminting style)

& last but not least are they 1/4 moa clicks

Cheers Andy

Very good in low light (mine only has 42mm OBJ but the 35mm tube really helps).

95% of my useage is lamping....no problems at all.

Not sure about the focal plane (too technical for me...)

Link to Reticles

Yes, 1/4" clicks

Not sure where you're based Andy, but you're welcome to take a look at mine if you're in the midlands area.

Doh

im miles away from u:-(

im looking at the 6-24x50 tactical or the varmint but id prefer the turrets exposed all the time so the tacticla may be best for me!

Does ur retical seem to "grow" as u zoom in on stuff?Or is it like most scopes atstay the same size?(second focal plane!)

cheers Andy

Never realised so many on here had optical test benches and were able to use them as well!

Bit of common sense lads, without the above you absolutely can not say one is as good as or better than another etc.

If it works for you and your happy thats fine, but to make absolute statements on optical performance of various scopes, is finger in the wind stuff not reality.

Redfox

Except when you own IOR, nightforce, and the big schmidt and can test them side by side, with the old mk1 eyeball, shagger. :P I,m lucky enough, purely cos i get them at trade.

IOR use schott lenses [a la zeiss, etc] and for my money, and eyes, are the equal of s+b, and superior to NF.

Everyones eyes are different i suppose, and therefore must see things differently through a scope. I find that the IOR seems to define colours slightly better, to my eyes too.

If i had to pick an allrounder, it would be the nightforce however. The leups, are bad due to the eye relief problem with the higher mag models.The NF pisses me off, because its a jap scope at german prices, and the schmidts turrets work the wrong way, and basically it just doesn,t light my fire, regardless of how good it is.

IOR,s are heavy by comparison, but i do love the mp8 reticle, and its illumination is excellent.

You pays your money...and takes your choice i reckon.

Dave

They may use Schott glass ( which of the many qualities?) but then so does the majority of makers, good bad and ugly, doesnt mean they know how to design lenses.

As I said before if you like it thats fine, but to say one is better than another by squinting through it means absolutely nothing.

With the eye, only if it was terrible would you actually see any difference. on an optical test bench they can test for all the problems that have to be overcome. Such as barrel distortion, pinchushion distortion , astigmatism, chromatic aberration, focus, aspherical distortion, alignment, light transmission( all the colours that make up white light) etc etc, some is the lense some is the coatings applied to it which are closely guarded secrets.

The investment in both machinery to make and machinery to test, plus technicians is massive and the vast majority of lower end makers do very little if any of it, they buy lenses from others particularly in China, use optical plastic internally for lenses and bolt the thing together.

The best do all the tests and check each scope, which is costly but what your paying for at the end of the day and they actually design the optics themselves, to acheive the best performance they can.

You can buy excellent quality steel, but one mistake in processing and it will always be poor. For instance lots of people buy/bought Reynolds 531 and T45 tubing to build racing bikes, gokarts etc, but ruined it by overheating during joining it, brazing it instead of bronze welding it, so the joints and tube failed later usually in the middle of a race! same sort of thing.

Good is good, the best is better than the rest.

Redfox

To add to Redfox, I was talking to a friend of a friend who is an optometrist and owns his own glasses (specs) business and I mentioned leica binoculars.

He said "what do you want those for"

I explained I thought they were good and he explained that Zeiss is THE best in optical terms.

Thats not to say the best product whether binoculars, scope or other but the best lenses.

At the end of the day take advice off here and other places and make your own choice using your eyesight. This seems to be the best answer.

To my mind it is not that important how a scope performs on the bench but more important how it performs in the field. Now if a scopes internals are crap lenses coatings etc then the thing wont perform in the field.

The Mk 1 eyeball has to be the best tool to check a scope with in order to asses whether it is parcticaly as good better or worse than another scope.

Same as with a moderator, who cares what it is made from what people are interested in is how long will it last? how much maintainance will it need? how much does it cost and last but definately not least how much does it reduce the report of the rifle?

Thats just my tuppence worth

Dave

Can we/you/me ultimately extract the full benefit of a top notch scope or anything else?

If we can great but if not we are just kidding ourselves and wasting money.

A bit like racing motorbikes until you are pushing the boundaries slicks won't make you any faster.

At the end of the day, who knows anyone with an optical testbench ? [apart from redfox]

So therefore, the rest of us HAVE to make do with what we can personally see. I maybe should have made myself more clear, and stated it was purely a personal view, with my own eyesight.

By the way, IOR have been making sniper, military, and sporting optics since the middle of the great war.They know a thing or two about scopes, i dont think you would be dissapointed with one.

Archived