Gas checks & lube

Kipper

Where is the cheapest place to buy gas checks ? Looking for .44 and whats the best lube to use

I'm finally ready to start reloading cast bullets but they arrived without gas checks on them.

My 303 ones came checked and lubed ready to roll.

The 44 s and most pistol calibres would do without the gas checks  unless really pushing them hard,  ive stopped using them altogether because theve gotten expensive, i just cast them a little harder, dont run them as fast, you could nearly buy a fmj for the price of a checked cast.

I lube with allox and canuba car wax mixed 50/50, tumbled.

Henry crank used to carry a large range of gas checks.

I don’t use gas checks in my .44mag underleaver. I use a 240gn cast bullet from Shellhouse Company and keep velocities down to a pootle speed with a mid-upper charge of Viht N340. I do have some Alox lube but haven’t used it as I’ve found the lube on the Shellhouse bullets to be just fine, especially when keeping speeds down.
Happy Days!

100 will be the furthest ill be shooting but mostly 25m.

I contacted shellhouse prior but got no response so purchased a box off 240g from the local rfd. I have some 2400 sitting as I will be using it for my 303 also.

2 hours ago, Kipper said:

100 will be the furthest ill be shooting but mostly 25m.

I contacted shellhouse prior but got no response so purchased a box off 240g from the local rfd. I have some 2400 sitting as I will be using it for my 303 also.

2400 is a good powder but is generally used to get max velocities in cartridges such as the .44mag. You might run into leading issues if pushing velocity/pressure without gas checks. I wouldn’t push the charges tbh.

Thats the core reason for going with a faster powder, a small charge to keep velocity/pressure low (a powder puff load...bit like a cowboy action load) which is perfect for 25m-75m as there’s no recoil and perfect for lead. 

Good luck. Burning through 200-300 rounds in a session is just too easy and too much fun. 

1 minute ago, Kipper said:

Lowest load should give me about 1500fps. Its the leading thats concerning me. 

Can but shoot n look

For 25 metre get some bullseye or unique you can do a very light load and save money on powder.

My bullseye load is still accurate at 100 metres just takes a bit longer to get there.