ASE UTRA Jet Z moderator on Sako 222 and Rem 700 308

Hi,have got a Sako 222 which I want to fit a Jet Z moderator.I also want the moderator to do double duty on a 308. I was thinking about ordering a 30 cal mod with m14x1 or 14x1.5 thread.The Sako has a muzzle diameter of 15.3mm.Is this enough for the above threads?Also,what are pros/cons of x1 or x1.5 thread?Regards Toby

I have tried a 30 cal on a 222 and it all worked ok.

Mine was a 5/8ths thread and I made an adaptor to fit onto a 1/2'' unf barrel.

The finer thread is supposed to have less chance of coming undone but I have had no trouble with the imperial sizes.

Your not going to leave much in the way of a step to butt up to on those sizes, why not go to 1/2'' on the barrel.

I ended up buying x2 mods to save arsing with the back bush. Then you can have the correct set up with no compromises.

I personally would go for the coarser thread - ive had a couple of Sako barrels that ive screw cut (to tolerance using a ring guage) and found that they galled VERY easilly on the ASE thread.

Both Sakos were stainless - I guess that the ASE is of similar hardness - I used anti sieze prior to trying each one.....

I have to dissagree Andy, fine threads are better at distributing loads and are more precise hence they will locate the mod better.

The reason why your thread galled has nothing to do with pitch but is because the mod makers dont work to strict gauging like you and i have done.

I have nticed exactly the same as you on all makes of mods i have fitted

I cut all the muzzle threads i have done to a Class 2A fit and i have had mods flop about and others not even start to go on.

Toby, i would reccomend the 1/2"x20 UNF as the best thread for your diamater of barrel plus the fact its the most common mod size.

Ian.

Toby,

In the ISO Metric thread system the M stands for metric, the first number refers to the diametre of the thread and the second number the pitch.

Therefore M14x1 means Metric Thread of 14mm diametre with a pitch of 1mm, in the case of M14x1.5 the pitch is 1.5mm.

The Pitch is the distance from the crest of one thread to the next, in this case 1mm or 1.5mm.

The 1.5mm pitch results in a coarser thread then the 1mm pitch.

In the case of American threads ie. 1/2"x20 UNF again we have a first number which is the diametre but this time the second refers to the TPI or threads per inch, hence 20tpi means 20 threads per inch.

The UNF stands for Unified Fine but Unified series threads also come in coarse, (UNC) and extra fine (UNEF)

Ian.

Good points Ian.

We are the same, working to class 2A threads, measured off damned expensive ring gauges.Then you screw a mod on [from ANY of the mod manufacturers] and it rattles down the thread like a turd in a pisspot. Then the cheeky bastards have the nerve to put in their literature...."must be fitted by a qualified gunsmith, or machinist, and no warranty will be given for bad threading etc...." :)

Ding dong.

He he he

noticed exactly the same thing with a variety of moddys (and the same litterature)

Wonder why I bother with ring guages.....obvis some of the manufacturers have their own "standard" sizes.

One things for sure Ian, I sure as heck dont like fitting ASE moddys to stainless Sako barrels :)

what ever you go for make sure you face up the mateing surface on the mod ;)

Bigun what do you mean exactly?

Surely any machining would then render the item modified and so exonerate the manufacturer of all responsibility! ;)

Edit; And invalidate all warranties

Thanks very much for all the information regarding thread sizes.Think that I'll play it safe and go with the 1/2"x20 UNF in 30 cal.A bit of a compromise in both ways(224cal in a 30cal moderator and the 1/2" thread on a 18-20mm barrel) But I cant afford two mods and this seems like the best option.Being muzzle mounted I also avoid the rear bush reflex problem with varying barrel diameters!-regards Toby

• 3 weeks later...
Bigun what do you mean exactly?

Surely any machining would then render the item modified and so exonerate the manufacturer of all responsibility! :angry:

Edit; And invalidate all warranties

if you buy a good mod in the first place you should have no problems with it going back ..cleaning up the face of the mod is a must really and it only takes a few mins to turn up the face .you have paint on the face you need to clean it off ..i had mine done and it fits like a glove now ..17x1 screw cut on one of my rifles and it beats the 1/2unf that i have on another rifle that i have ...i use 30 cal mods on my 25-06 17x1 and .204 1/2unf foxs and deer dont seem to mind

Archived