PPU Factory ammo

Davesson

So a while back I was struggling with reloads for my 7mm-08. I bought some PPU factory ammo 140 SP to see if it was me or my reloads etc. Tried the PPU ammo and it was sh**e. Put it in the safe and forgot about it.

Reloads now sorted and I thought I would fire off the rounds to make use of the brass. De-primed and about to clean the primer pockets and came across these two pictured below. 

Any thoughts to the cause? Anyone come across this before? I didn’t notice any issues when shooting the ammo other than wildly in accurate.

E8833866-E14A-4034-AA1B-459313B9D46C.jpeg

To me, it looks like there was a manufacturing defect...or perhaps something that damaged the cases during transport etc.

They look to have clean cuts in the brass by something sharp (like a cutter or punch) and when you shot them there was gas leakage from the cut into your chamber as the brass was expanding during firing.

I’d definitely take a close look in your chamber, if you can, to make sure it’s ok.

Are these the only two cases like this? And is there any damage to the box they came in?

I would consider contacting PPU’s main U.K. distributor (is it Henry Krank? Or Hanhams?) and show/tell them what you’ve got and provide the lot number.

Surely thats happened upon firing, they couldnt of just split in transit , if they were already split at the manufacturing stage would there be more sooty deposits? 

Id lob the whole lot personally buy better brand of brass , im sure its just a bad batch but iv only used Lapua or nosler custom.

The slots look like laser or water-jet cuts.  I speculate that the stock brass discs are cut using one of those processes, possibly a factory error?