Load development

cheshirelad

CL,

Think do your basic development with new brass, I'm assuming that you are going to purchase a few hundred new brass from, if possible, the same batch. 

You can then go shoot happily, once you've fired all your brass then revisit you load, it should not vary that much from the load you developed for the new brass.

I would though 'if it was me' size all the new brass to make sure any dents and irregularities were taken out, neck tensions are the same  i.e. your new brass is consistent.

Caveat - this is 'me', others will have a different thought process. also re. sizing new brass - depends on the brass manufacturer

Brgds

Terry

12 minutes ago, terryh said:

CL,

Think do your basic development with new brass, I'm assuming that you are going to purchase a few hundred new brass from, if possible, the same batch. 

You can then go shoot happily, once you've fired all your brass then revisit you load, it should not vary that much from the load you developed for the new brass.

I would though 'if it was me' size all the new brass to make sure any dents and irregularities were taken out, neck tensions are the same  i.e. your new brass is consistent.

Caveat - this is 'me', others will have a different thought process. also re. sizing new brass - depends on the brass manufacturer

Brgds

Terry

same here,  even with Lapua brass the necks get knocked about in transit & storage.  Basic f/l size, chamfer neck, quick fettle of the flash hole, then shoot.  

I do a basic load development to find the best groups for charge weight.  For the next round I expect to optimise things using the fully prepped brass.

1 hour ago, Brillo said:

I’ve done it with both. Never observed a difference.

Agree, but it might be down to the cartridge and/or the brass you are using.

The last three rifles I've had had zero difference between new and once fired brass, but they were 300NM/Norma brass, 6.5x47 /Lapua, & 6mm Dasher/Norma.

Only thing I found is a couple of them 'sped up' quite a bit.

T