.338LM loads with 250 and 300gr bullets

MichalS

9 hours ago, Taylorj said:

Hi guys

Im just getting into reloading 338lm, my question is, whats your opinion on FL sizing? To body die first and then neck bushing size in 2 stages or FL in one go in a FL bushing die 

I F/L size and neck bush all in one go, I see no reason to split the operation.

I use Redding Type S and comp. shell holders to set my preferred 2thou shoulder knock-back.  I anneal every time for .338 as I don't shoot huge amounts and it's economically viable.   No button is required but I run a mandrel through the necks following sizing as it gives me measurably better consistency of bullet seating force and that carries over to precision down-range where it counts).

One thing is I've found that Redding dies are generous in the grind around the head,  that is they don't resize as much as my Hornady Comp die.   In fact, once fired brass from an AI will not chamber in my Dolphin when F/L sized in a Redding but will when sized in a Hornady.   Brass fired exclusively in my own gun will always size fine in the Redding die.  There was thread on this some months ago.

I get very little growth in cartridge length  - I load 94gr N570 under 300gr Lapua - similar for ELD-M.

Not a .338LM, but I do shoot the very similar .338 Norma Magnum (same rim diameter, only 6% less case capacity).

Similar to Pops, I FL size every time but use a Whidden FL with bushing die. I don’t use the die expander button either, much preferring a separate dedicated Sinclair Expander Die and Mandrel. You’ll get much better neck tension.

Whidden dies are very good/repeatable and have no issues with sizing properly.

Current load is 94.5gn of RS80 under a 300gn Lapua Scenar. Shoots tiny, tiny groups and is a delight with the effective Area419 Sidewinder muzzle brake.

Good luck - the big magnums are just too much fun! 😄