.338LM loads with 250 and 300gr bullets

MichalS

Gentlemen,

I have acquired a Savage 110 Elite Presicion in 338 Lapua Magnum. I will collect it in a couple of days, but want to start preparing for load development. The rifle has a 30" long 1 in 9 twist barrel. I plan to test 250 and 300gr Scenars and Bergers, but I'm wondering which "European" powders to try first? Most recommended loads I see are based od H1000, which I have no way to source.

What loads are you using? Plan is to compete at 800-1600m.

TIA,

Michal

11 minutes ago, MichalS said:

Gentlemen,

I have acquired a Savage 110 Elite Presicion in 338 Lapua Magnum. I will collect it in a couple of days, but want to start preparing for load development. The rifle has a 30" long 1 in 9 twist barrel. I plan to test 250 and 300gr Scenars and Bergers, but I'm wondering which "European" powders to try first? Most recommended loads I see are based od H1000, which I have no way to source.

What loads are you using? Plan is to compete at 800-1600m.

TIA,

Michal

God's own calibre!

My rifle is 32" barrel, 1:10 twist.  I use N570 for Horn 285 ELD-M and 300 Lap Scenar.  I don't bother with 250 Lap Scenar as they run out of steam earlier than the 300s even though the muzzle velocity is higher.  I find 285ELD-M to be the most efficient at +1ml.  At 800 the 250 may have an advantage but I haven't seen one.

I'm loading around 93gr of N570 in Lapua brass with CCI mag. primers (please do not trust my load data, it's a guide).  So far throat erosion is minimal after 480 rounds.

I used N570 with 250gn Scenars, Never tried the 300's as 250's did what I needed.

I did try RE25 with the 250's but couldn't get anywhere near the accuracy or velocity I could with the N570.

N570 for me ...95g with 250g Scenars and Federal gold match magnum primers.

Interestingly Litz states that the 250g bests the 300g past about 1500 yards if I recall correctly.

Shorter bullet retaining stability through transonic.

2 minutes ago, DaveT said:

N570 for me ...95g with 250g Scenars and Federal gold match magnum primers.

Interestingly Litz states that the 250g bests the 300g past about 1500 yards if I recall correctly.

Shorter bullet retaining stability through transonic.

I found 250s going wayward at 1mile,  very obvious improvement with 300s.  Horn 285ELD-M are very much my new go-to long range bullet.  Strangely, ELD-M in my .308 are expensive failures

Not a .338LM, but at only 6% less case capacity, my .338Norma Magnum is very similar (same 416 rugby parent case). The .338NM loves the 300gn Scenars.

With a 27” Bartlein, 1-9.3” twist, Norma brass, Federal 215m GMM Mag primers, I use 94.5gn RS80 for a velocity of 2790fps.

NOTE: I coat bullets and bore in HbN, so LOWER your charge by at least 1.5gn if using naked bullets.

I believe RS80 is the PERFECT powder for both the .338NM and .338LM.

I get 2,822 fps for Lap300 and  2,900 fps for ELD-M with N570.  The 32" barrel with slightly slower twist helps achieve those velocities with 93gr

Can't see the love for RS myself but many do like the stuff

12 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

I found 250s going wayward at 1mile,  very obvious improvement with 300s.  Horn 285ELD-M are very much my new go-to long range bullet.  Strangely, ELD-M in my .308 are expensive failures

Why is that do you think 🤔

29 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Why is that do you think 🤔

300Lap has better G7 BC, the down-range velocity swaps over at about 800~900yds with the 250 definitely going transonic around 1600yds.  The 285 ELD-M has a higher BC than 300Lap, the Mv is higher and it retains velocity down range slightly better than the 300Lap.  All calculations on 'Shooter' app.  Real-world data supports this.

If you ask why the .308ELD-M is wayward - I don't know, just would not come to an acceptable grouping in my set-up and they're too expensive to waste with seemingly endless trials.  SMK168gr are also pants in my rifle.

28 minutes ago, MichalS said:

Thank You guys! I shall start with some N570 as most of You recommend.

What about it's temperature sensitivity? I will be shooting in 0-30* Celsius.

Michal

No real world experience as I've mostly shot around 12C to 20C and seen little variance (there may have been some, just buried in other variables like lack of skill 😁).  Viht reckon it's very stable.

1 minute ago, No i deer said:

It was the failure in 308 with the ELDM'S I was referring too..!!

These bullets seem too like just touching the rifling 👍

tried that, not good enough. I don't see the benefit of paying over the odds for less performance than a 155Lap Scenar.  If they work for you great!

Scenars are hard too beat.

I've not tried the 140gr hybrids in my 6.5x47 but if they shoot better than the 139gr scenars they'd have to shoot 1 hole.

I can't say enough good things about scenars..

Having trouble with the 7mm 162gr eldxs but I'm probaly trying to push them hard.

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, MichalS said:

One more question - what kind of accuracy/group size should I expect?

How long is a piece of string?  Many variables.  Until you get to the range and get your loads developed you won't really know

36 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Subsequently, I shot our clubs smallest ever 3x round HME group at 200m - all inside a 5p piece, cold bore, no sighters.

Those are some fine groups!  300 Norma Mag seems a great calibre, the lack of factory rifles stopped me from getting one. Mine 338LM just came in :) CZ for scale, it's "substantial" :)

20200602_140028.jpg

7 minutes ago, MichalS said:

Those are some fine groups!  300 Norma Mag seems a great calibre, the lack of factory rifles stopped me from getting one. Mine 338LM just came in :) CZ for scale, it's "substantial" :)

20200602_140028.jpg

Thanks - though for clarity I’m shooting the .338 Norma Magnum with 300gn Lapua Scenars.

Nice gun. What action is that sitting in the MDT?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...