Bore Scopes

KABOOM

After some thought I have to ask if a borescope is a cause of chasing some ideal not validated on target, thoughts??

I don't own one, I have used one for inspection of a few rifles and then began the worry. Only shooting vanquished the worry when results on target were as hoped for.

As a tool for inspection prior to purchase I see value in using one on used guns. Even so if the gun in question is either rare or extremely interesting would I purchase it having 

seem dubious things? Maybe is the reply, so far I haven't purchased any used firearms that failed to give results that were desirable, perhaps im just lucky?

20 minutes ago, KABOOM said:

As a tool for inspection prior to purchase I see value in using one on used guns. Even so if the gun in question is either rare or extremely interesting would I purchase it having 

+1 for inspection and also if your a "clean freak" for checking your cleaning regime it can be a useful tool.

It can, however, be one more thing to make you chase your tail and start worrying (unnecessarily?) when you see some pitting, coppering or throat erosion.

If you have a look up my old SMLE you could wonder how the bullet even makes it to the target! 😆

How you correlate these things to actual evidence on paper? I'm not quite sure.

G

Just bought one of these, because i'm a Vehicle tech and it saves a lot of stripping down for diagnosis 5" screen hi res borescope with 3.9mm tip

done a quick inspection of one of my Barrels and it works a treat, although on a smaller calibre you can only use it in the straight ahead position because if you use the 90 deg mirror it's slighty out of focus. quality is good though, but a bit pricey.

These can be the shooter's worst friend.

It can make you doubt an otherwise perfect rifle and then you'll worrying about what you saw in the borescope rather than what you see in the riflescope. You'll already have your excuses.

They have their place but as with many things, don't over think it.

Over here, a number of folk have ordered Teslong rifle bore scopes directly from the manufacturer and are extremely pleased with them (usually the Windows/ Android version). However, they are often disgusted with the results ...

Kaboom,

I've owned a Hawk Eye for years and used it a lot, very helpful tool. Recently purchased one of the Teslong unit (USB based) and found it pretty good.

Believe there is a Bluetooth version to go direct into a mobile device so probably the way to go?

As already noted - be prepared to be horrified! :)

T

Got one of the Teslong jobs also - does the job for sure.

Hot loads of RS60...throat as expected, no noticeable degradation in performance however.

Bought to check how my (lack of) cleaning regime is working out (carbon rings, general crud build up), not to get hung up on how spiral staircaseed things look.

On 5/5/2020 at 1:55 PM, gruntus said:

+1 for inspection and also if your a "clean freak" for checking your cleaning regime it can be a useful tool.

It can, however, be one more thing to make you chase your tail and start worrying (unnecessarily?) when you see some pitting, coppering or throat erosion.

If you have a look up my old SMLE you could wonder how the bullet even makes it to the target! 😆

How you correlate these things to actual evidence on paper? I'm not quite sure.

G

Quite correct I have a Springfield 1903 with pits that helped me place in Service Rifle 3 years past . Seems the pits didn't matter all that much. Only one bore with "some " rifling left has been a total waste of ammo a 1896 Broomhandle Mauser , you can see what ought to be lands and grooves sadly results on target say its pure mirage keyholes at 10 yards! I worry if groups open sure then I either clean or look for keyholes. Copper gets removed after around 400 shots more or less, throat erosion in my usage bothers me not in the least. JB compound a few strokes to knock the rough off and away I go to another adventure. Best wishes for good shooting.

14 hours ago, terryh said:

Kaboom,

I've owned a Hawk Eye for years and used it a lot, very helpful tool. Recently purchased one of the Teslong unit (USB based) and found it pretty good.

Believe there is a Bluetooth version to go direct into a mobile device so probably the way to go?

As already noted - be prepared to be horrified! :)

T

Indeed my best use of a Hawkeye was to see copper in a Savage 1899 lever action in .243, the copper remains as I haven't a clue how to tear it apart( not my rifle in any case) the bore was more or less plated with copper. By now the question may exist "does it shoot decently'?

I haven't a clue never shot it. The Hawkeye in question was borrowed from a friend.