Wild Boar Question

Iv'e been invited to participate in some driven Wild Boar and some Mouflon hunting on an estate in the north of Austria later in the year. This is something I have fancied doing for a while, but circumstances have never yet allowed me the luxury of going.

I'm told the cull should be in the reigon of 30+ animals for a party of ten guns over one full days shooting.

Now I know some on here have past experience of driven wild boar, so I wonder if any have recommendations of what gun / calibre / scope to use.

I have a rifle in mind for Mouflon - my 6.5x284, 7mm/300WSM or 25-06 so its Boar advice i'm after.

The estate we are to visit has rifles for hire, but to be honest, i'd rather take my own as one always shoot best with yer own gun....

Anyway, I was thinking along the lines of a secondhand (or new) Merkel, Zoli etc double rifle (O/U) in 9.3x74R with a flash dot or open optical sight (aimpoint)

Any advice,

(I know it will be expensive and am prepared for this....... ;) )

Thanks

Andy

Guest 308Panther

While a scope is always nice for Sheep........it may be a hinderance for Boar.

Since the boar are bein driven...I am getting a picture of tight,thick brush where the

animal is on the run and length of shot will be a max of 50 yrds...if not closer.

Be prepared to remove the scope and use open iron sights,and hope that you get planted on a nicely cleared shooting lane or intersection of lanes.

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html (Hope this works)

http://www.hunting-in-texas.com/learnhogs.htm#anatomy

The pics are quite graphic....but the kill area is smaller and lower....Check it out.

Best of luck and dont forget the pics...

308Panther

Guest Smeagle

Mate I would go for a fast, light handling rifle with good stopping power and a quick second shot. The range is small and open sights are best or a red dot.

Think a little outside the square and don't go to expensive, how much use is it going to get afterwards.

What about a Marlin lever action in .45 LC or a .44 Rem Mag. Just the ticket, I know its not traditional but they are supreme on porkers.

The 7mm300WSM is a little to fast and small, go for something over 200 grns to the 220 or 240 grns. Slow and hard for driven pigs mate.

Funky

whilst the 7mm/300WSM has the stopping power, the minimum recommended calibre is .30" (I know that .006" isn't going to make much difference but rules are rules)

The 7mm/300 WSM rifle is a LR rig and not geared to to fast, point and shoot shooting (exactly as Smeagle and Panther describe) which is why I am thinking about a double rifle.

Panther thanks for the links, most interesting.

Lever action,,,,hmmm hadn't considered that avenue, wonder about ft/bs energy against the "traditional" european boar cals - i'll investigate that one.

The driven "lines" will be in thick forest and the stands 150mtrs apart, so max range would be a conservative 75meters (i guess)

Still thinking about a double though........................

Expense?

Well the trip all in (flights, accommodation and food/ drink, plus the actual shoot) = £1500

So its not too bad and at that price, it could become a regular thing, so the price of a rifle for the job "could" be justified (thats another £50 spent on a rifle dear!)

There is no comparison between Merkel and Zoli the Merkel wins hands down evey time. A friend has a pair of mid 60's o/unders and quality wise they are on a par with most English makers of the same period. Their quality isnt superficial which is a tag I would put on Zoli.

How about a 325WSM ? I still have the Howa for sale in either 300WSM or 325WSM.

Guest steyrman2

well i have shot a few pigs in lativa ,sweden,and hungrey,with the 308 with no problems now i have fired 9.3x74r very good for pigs also8x57,7x65r,i think 8x57 is a good solid round and will put meat in the bag a german friend of mine uses 300 win mag and shoots a lot more pigs than me hope this helps

Andy, you may want to consider a Finn Classic o/u in 9.3. Used to be made by Valmet/Tikka and now made by Marrochi in italy. Very good robust design and cheap as chips to boot. Very popular in France as u can use them with the shotgun barrels too. They often come as sets.

z

Thanks for the input so far lads, lots to consider........

I'll post a fuller reply later. ;)

Guest 308Panther

Lever Action Marlin .444 is MORE than enough.

It is what most of the guides use here,for bear,Griz,Blacks and Browns...Moose and Elk...

Far as that goes you can do alot with a 30-30 too if ya watch your distance.

308Panther

Archived