.308 loads for Ruger Precision

Gunny bedford

Hi

will be looking to get some Lee .308 dies soon to start home loading this caliber,at present just doing .223. I am using N140 for my .223 and my cunning plan was to use this as well for .308. Has anyone got any recommendations for N140 in a Ruger Precision ? with what bullet ? i am using tipped match kings for my .223 and liking them very much (use both for range and foxing) so was perhaps considering them for the .308 as well ?

cheers

Neil

good evening I use n140 in a few calibers and in my rpr 308  a 44.5 gr load using 155gr amax bullet the muzzle velocity hovers around 2640fps,as usual start lower and work up,the 155gr amax is a very effective fox round and larger species as needed.make sure you have AOLQ on your fac as asking for a 308 just for fox in my area is a no no!

I have used N140 and Varget in 308Win and 223Rem but now use RS52 for both (same accuracy but better velocity, probably harder on barrels).

In both calibres I am loading to "mag length".

My RPR shoots best with 168-180gr bullets, particularly Sierra TMK, though SMK also v good. 155gr (Amax and SMK) were OK but not as good as the heavier options. I have been using Lapua Palma brass (small primer), which gave better results than Lapua large primer brass.

Strangely, the rifle also likes 125gr Sierra SMK, though I use N130 for that. 

There is plenty of  official data for N140 in 308Win so I won't share my load as there is no guarantee it will work in your rifle or be safe (and it is Palma brass). If velocity matters (getting the 20inch barrel of the gen1 RPR to stay above transonic zone to 1000yds, for eg) then RS52 might be a better bet.

Thanks chaps, i dont intend to shoot fox with the .308,  my FAC is open  for .223, .22WMR and S1shotgun  for all quarry, but currently the .308 is only for range work, but i have been offered 2 permissions lately with deer and boar on, so might employ the .308 for that,  as i dont really have the room for another rifle ! primarily its my range gun down at Hythe and Lydd ranges. But i am not sure if i can use the .308 for quarry, i live in Kent and somebody stated Kent were not keen on people using .308 for hunting over land ? i will enquire to see if i can get that caliber on my open ticket as well, if not will still hand load for the ranges, and have a hard decision on what rifle to replace with a .243 ! LOL