Hornady 75g ELD & 80g ELD Match .224

lee w 118

What’s does Hornadys website suggest?

Edit: admittedly not a whole lot. Pretty poor that a major bullet manufacturer fails to publish suggested twist rates for their products on the website. 
They used to put them on the box, like Berger does. Do they still do that anymore?

Now then catch -22 . Been on 6mmbr , snipers hide , lots of info on above pills but given the twist rate i want too shoot the above pills lots of variations on calibre ie 22BR  -22DASHER- 22 CREEDMORE no specific info, was looking at 88g eld match but over the last month reading up on them i was put off with shooters saying they was getting blow ups when trying to push them velocity wise😁..A few shooters in the US are going for  .219 bore as to prevent jacket failure in 88g and above, all you want is the bullet to get there accurately  preferably  me thinks.And thanks for your reply, get were your coming from 👍

No personal experience of these but a good mate of mine has started using the 80g bullets in his 223 Tikka Tac with the 24” barrel and 1:8 twist.

His shooting was superb yesterday at 600 yards on Kingsbury range with an RS52 based load, so good in fact that it has persuaded me to start some load development for them in my 1:8 twist barrel too.

Going slightly off piste here, but I have used Hornady 178 grn A-Max (.30 cal) in a rifle with a 1:12 twist when on the box it clearly states that they're for a 1:10 twist.....They were very accurate out to 900 / 1K yds.

As for 75 grn Eld's, I don't have direct experience of these, but ditto for my 75 grain A-Max's in a 1:8 Tikka T3 in .223

4 minutes ago, ezmobile said:

Going slightly off piste here, but I have used Hornady 178 grn A-Max (.30 cal) in a rifle with a 1:12 twist when on the box it clearly states that they're for a 1:10 twist.....They were very accurate out to 900 / 1K yds.

As for 75 grn Eld's, I don't have direct experience of these, but ditto for my 75 grain A-Max's in a 1:8 Tikka T3 in .223

I think if you can push them fast enough you can compensate for a slightly slower twist rate , there exceptions to the rule of course , but as long your happy to run them fast it’s more than possible to get away with it to some degree 👍

18 hours ago, One on top of two said:

I think if you can push them fast enough you can compensate for a slightly slower twist rate , there exceptions to the rule of course , but as long your happy to run them fast it’s more than possible to get away with it to some degree 👍

I memory serves, I was running the 178's at around 2,800 fps - give or take, through a 28'' tube. These gave me a 50.10 at this years McQueens at Bisley. Using 44.3 grains of some old TR140 powder