A-TEC mod heat haze

Hi guys. I have an A-Tec compact mod on my .223 T3. Lovely bit of kit but after a few rounds in as many minutes the heat from it hazes the sight picture through the scope.

When i had a T8, it wore a sock for camo purposes and helped with this prob though it didn't get anywhere near as hot as the A-Tec.

My question is this. Are there socks avail for the A-Tec ?

Could i use a chopped T8 one and would the heat melt the rubbery inner of the sock? After a few shots it's far too hot to hold...

Hope you have some answers for me...

Thanks,

Grant..

If the mod is getting too hot to hold, I would excercise caution when (if) you decide to place a rubberised cover on it - there are plenty of "you tube" type clips of mod covers spontaneously combusting with semi and full auto's in the states.

It may not do that, but I guess if the rubber m,elted the smell and subsequent sticky mess would be a baxxrd to get rid of.

If its that hot, I think you have two options - mirage band or similar for the rifle barrel, or a mirage tube for the scope?

Of course the other option is shoot slower strings, but that wouldnt be so much fun :angry:

Mmm. A mirage tube would have to be over 20" long.... :angry:

You're right about the sock though methinks.. It would prob melt... Maybe a canvas sleeve would do the trick.. I'll have to experiment..

Thanks for the tip though... :lol:

Hi -

you could try http://www.riflesonly.com/store/TAB/sas.html i have heard good things about this stuff.

I'm sure James will put me right if i say something wrong here, but i don't believe that the A-TEC mods are designed to get that hot.my personal opinion is that they are made to be a light weight stalking / foxing mod. not for shooting continual strings of shots through all mods do get hot and you will get heat haze,

ATB

Colin :angry:

Nice looking bit of kit, but there may be a small problem:

Warning - .223/5.56 cal use:

Our current products are not reccomended for long strings or rapid fire use with a .223/5.56 caliber rifle. We are in the process of developing new products that will meet the needs of these type of shooters.

Atec, s do seem to get hot.They heat up quicker with the same amount of shots, as a t8 for example, purely because they are an aluminium tube. it conducts heat much faster. The upside is, they also cool faster, than a steel mod.

This problem is also a lot more noticable in cold weather.Mine shows haze in 3 rounds, when its cold.

Being made of Nomex should solve your heat problems Grant, but at $62 list, how much will they cost in the UK I wonder?

Pete.

I`ve got a couple of these for sale in camo if anyones interested.

£35 each inc postage

Personally, I have used various mods on ranges for a number of years, they all heat up with 5 / 10 shot strings.

The mod will retain quite alot of heat and one finds that the barrel where the mod encompasses will be hotter than the un covered tube.

I prefer to shoot a string, then remove the mod to let the barrel cool, the last thing you want to have is a hot barrel or an area where there is a hot spot.

Shoot five then wait a while, then shoot again and repeat, it works for me with any of the calibres I have.

The tube that I have had longest with a mod is a 22-250AI, it has had a Reflex on it for over 2500 rounds and the mod does get warm even after 5 shots, heat haze hasnt been a problem for me, as I shoot "in't norf, where its cold"

Grant, I suggest you move :lol:

Moderator mirage used to drive me mad!

Big thumbs up to TAB gear....just be aware that by 'holding in the mirage' it's stopping heat loss and consequently the mod gets 'king hot!

Reflex cover and one of TAB's range mats:

P1010300.jpg

HI BD,

how do you rate the range mat?

Brilliantly made, but it won't insulate you from cold ground, it's just keeps you clean.

..but it's hellishly Gucci - what it lacks in performance it makes up for in 'minimalism' :lol: .

Well i've ordered one of these TAB jobbies from the link that Colin gave me.. $71 inc postage. I never put more than a 10 shot string down range and that's once in a blue moon when i'm trying out a new recipe for the rifle / mod combo at Bisley. The mod gives mirage after only 3 rounds so even in the field the TAB sock should be a welcome addition..

Archived