AR15 varmint rifle

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek090.html

Just found this on the 6mmBR.com site, I've not really been tempted by the black rifle but this has got me thinking. Shame we can't have it in it's true form but I can feel some overtime coming on for a straight pull version!

Pay particular attention to 20Tac, this is the direction I'm going next with my AR. Best rabbit in .223 is 362yds lasered so I'm hoping the 20Tac upper and barrel will let me get out to 300+ with less elevation and lateral drift and more downrange collateral damage if the ballistics are to be believed.

Shooting in the field is more fun than I'd with an AR, I thoroughly recommend it. Here's my bunny buster.

Bradley Arms, AR15, 20" Border barrel, Gieselle match trigger, MIAD grip, YHM fourway forend, ambi cocking, more fun than you can shake a stick at.

P6220016.jpg

Likes crows, fox, pigeons etc. Shoots everything from 55grn Blitzkings to 77grn SMK's to less than 1/2moa. I love it. :lol:

Pete.

I have also been looking at that video on 6BR of the semi version in Prac 20, and how it shoots, as you say 1/2 moa easily and a semi to boot. Just a shame we cant have them.

20 cal is without doubt the way to go (as opposed to .22) especially with the bigger (50gr) bullets.

A

2 points:

Bradley Arms - excellent bloke.

and

Random thought this morning:

Within UK law; could a non-semi-auto AR15 be made that still has its gas parts -as long as its bolt was designed (and made) to hold open after each shot?

Strikes me that a quick press of a bolt release (particularly if it could be sited in reach of a trigger hand digit) between each shot would be a great improvement over a full re-cock for each shot.

Menial, thats a sweet looking bit of kit, I want one even more now! I liked the look of a Cactus Arms hybrid that was featured in Shooting Sports 2 or 3 years ago. Think I'd have to have it in .223 as I already have a .20 caliber rifle, just need to convince my FEO that I need something else. Just out of interest, does anyone shoot Practical Rifle as this could be a double duty gun. ATB,Gareth.

2 points:

Bradley Arms - excellent bloke.

and

Random thought this morning:

Within UK law; could a non-semi-auto AR15 be made that still has its gas parts -as long as its bolt was designed (and made) to hold open after each shot?

Strikes me that a quick press of a bolt release (particularly if it could be sited in reach of a trigger hand digit) between each shot would be a great improvement over a full re-cock for each shot.

In answer to the first part of your question this is almost certainly a no, I'm sure Bradders will pick this up and give his version at some point.

To the second part, if it could be made legally with auto bolt hold open, shooting with your left hand supporting the rifle by the mag well, a very rapid rate of fire could achieved, as it would place your thumb virtually on the bolt release, far too much fun so probably isn't allowed as you could reload as fast as you could squeeze the trigger.

A pretty good rate can be had with ambi cockers when shooting off a bipod.

Pete.

BD, I think Southern Gun Company had a similar idea years ago - plod did not aprove (if memory serves). They did get the grip cocking thing though. Sort of an AR15 lever action.

308 Panther - It`s a hard life DI or piston but Obama may want to "change" things - fancy a PRK AR15.

Anyway AR 15 parts are getting harder to source from the USA. I paid a lot for P mags, got a Jewell trigger by the skin of my teeth. It`s even hard getting a bloody Surefire flashlight - why a bulb and battery is so difficult to get someone to sell I have no idea and I`m still searching for a KX3 pig.

David.

It`s even hard getting a bloody Surefire flashlight - why a bulb and battery is so difficult to get someone to sell I have no idea
It's because, in all seriousness, Surefire market their flashlights as 'weapons' ...makes them sound cooler than the competition's mere 'illuminators' :angry::lol: What bulbs are you after -I've got a couple of spare G2s -you're more than welcome to one.

Guest northernchris

That is exactly what the plan for it is Dave :angry: Fitted with a 16" tube running 55gr Vmax @ 3000 fps,ASE utra CQB and collapsable Mag pull stock make for a "pointable/driveby" foxing tool.

Hi Chris,

Heres my new toy come the end of the month pic is from Proarms - PAR MK1 (think Czech HK 416), 223 Remmy, piston driven, 10.5" tube (I went chrome lined but could have had LW). Jewell trigger - I wanted 2 stage, CAA 6 position stock, mine will have an adj cheek piece, CAA grip / bipod thing, Surefire x200b and a KX3 pig if I can get the handguard to go over it. Optic - I have a USO to put on it at the moment but undecided

proarms.jpg

Guest northernchris

Cracking looking stick Dave

I wonder how much different the Jewel is in the AR compared to the Geissele 2 stage Mark fitted in the one above and now once adjusted to my taste it really is spot on.

Another Bradders built "Black gun" built with a couple of tasty bits :lol:

DSC013711.jpg

Doing some load Dev :angry:

GetAttachment.jpg

Shot this one and had to say I was quite impressed, it looked and felt good, unlike the chubby Jock lad in the pic who kept trying to blag .223 loads off me. :lol:

Cracking looking stick Dave

I wonder how much different the Jewel is in the AR compared to the Geissele 2 stage Mark fitted in the one above and now once adjusted to my taste it really is spot on.

The difference is around £100 :angry: , but I'm still glad I put one on mine.

You guys sure like to make simple things waaaaay too complicated.

:lol::lol::lol:

308Panther

Enjoy it while you can Pat, I think ###### Obarmy has some major plans regarding your 2nd amendment. I'm sure you boys will have the full SP come April

Which way do we swim and then walk Pat? ;) East or West?

Pete.

When I put up a WTB add I asked for a Geissele or Jewel, Jewel came up first - out of choice I would have taken the Geissele.

Should've contacted me sooner then :lol: coz a little while ago I had them coming out of my ears

Just found this on the 6mmBR.com site, I've not really been tempted by the black rifle but this has got me thinking. Shame we can't have it in it's true form but I can feel some overtime coming on for a straight pull version!

This might wet your appetite for a 1in8 twist AR15 Gareth. I blagged a box of 40grn Blitzkings to see just how tight a group could be shot with a fast twist barrel and lightweight varmint bullets. Put together this 5 shot string on a starter load this morning with my hands dropping off.

Top marks [no pun intended] to Bradders, he can certainly build AR15's.

P1040174.jpg

I think we're on the right track, I'll try some Viht 130 next, can't wait to put them over a chrono.

Pete.

This might wet your appetite for a 1in8 twist AR15 Gareth. I blagged a box of 40grn Blitzkings to see just how tight a group could be shot with a fast twist barrel and lightweight varmint bullets. Put together this 5 shot string on a starter load this morning with my hands dropping off.

Top marks [no pun intended] to Bradders, he can certainly build AR15's.

P1040174.jpg

I think we're on the right track, I'll try some Viht 130 next, can't wait to put them over a chrono.

Pete.

Nice shooting Pete, i am surprised with all that sub-zero forged aluminium that your fingers were not sticking to the front tube.

Ian

Nice shooting Pete, i am surprised with all that sub-zero forged aluminium that your fingers were not sticking to the front tube.

Ian

Bugger that Ian, I was squeezing the nice leather on the bag under the butt.

Pete.

Yes, it is....and Yes,he does.

Ummm....West.....Dont think your gonna fancy Russia or China.

One thing is for sure...its gonna get interesting.

It wont become real for some people till the doorkicking starts.

308Panther

mmmhmmm. could get interesting indeed, hold onto your hats and glasses. Remember the last time an Illinois senator got into the white house, that which promotes growth and vigour happened kind of fast.

Archived