VOLQUARTSEN/ RIMFIRE MAGIC 10\22

bear

EVENING  ALL,

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCE WITH ONE OF THESE CUSTOM 10/22S?

I AM BUYING A .22 RIMFIRE AND THE CHOICE IS BETWEEN A CZ 455 AND A CUSTOM 10/22.

EVERYTHING I HAVE READ SAYS YOU CAN EXPECT 1-2 INCH ACCURACY AT 100 YARDS FROM THE CZ, ALTHOUGH I CAN'T FIND ANYONE SAYING THIS FOR THE CUSTOM 10/22

YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE.

I’m extremely happy with my Rimfire magic with 12.5” Volquarsten barrel. I can’t remember what it groups at 100m but it certainly doesbone hole groups at 50m and IMO had comparable bolt gun accuracy. 

Whats your intended purpose for the rifle? 

Which ever gun i buy will at this stage be used for rat shooting at night.

Distances between 20-100 yards. 

Im thinking the 10/22 is good for quick follow up shots.

I will either use it with a hawk sidewinder4-16x50 with a pard 007  or a pard 008.

What do you use yours for?

What stock and subsonics do you use with it? Have you tried cci segmented?

Thanks for your reply. 

You looking at 12 or 16” variant of the volquarsten. I can never make up my mind if I made the right call. Accuracy is there on the 12.5” & with a mod fitted its so short and pointable. However velocities will be better with 16” and might offer you flatter shooting? 

I tired some match ammo, but it tends to have a waxy coating on which gums up the 10-22 very quickly. In all fairness the CCI groups so well I don’t see the point. I either use mini-mags or Subsonic HP. Sorry I haven’t used the segmented but would be surprised if it didn’t perform. 

4 hours ago, bear said:

Which ever gun i buy will at this stage be used for rat shooting at night.

Distances between 20-100 yards. 

Im thinking the 10/22 is good for quick follow up shots.

I will either use it with a hawk sidewinder4-16x50 with a pard 007  or a pard 008.

What do you use yours for?

What stock and subsonics do you use with it? Have you tried cci segmented?

Thanks for your reply. 

Eley contact is what I’m using in a 22 semi works great, cycles far more reliably than the normal Eley subsonic. 

Yep got the Magpul stock. I like it and get on well with it. Got the higher comb set. 12.5 just protrudes past the barrel channel on the stock and look cool with a mod fitted. Bare in mind only an end of barrel mod works with this set up not a reflex if that changes anything? Paired with a A-tec wave which is cheap and works well. 

It gets used for target, plinking & vermin. 

I did when I first got it, at 100m but this was just off a backpack with no bipod. So groups were “ok” but wasn’t a reflection of the rifle just of my performance. I can’t remember what it grouped like. 

Now it’s zeroed in at 75yards I leave it at that, any shooting at 100 or beyond is steel plinking rather than vermin. I might be using it in a few weeks if you want me to attempt a best effort group at 100m or are you planning on making a decision soon?

I had one of these and used it regularly for ratting and rabbiting. I think it was the 16" carbon barrel version and was very accurate with most ammunition, best being Eley I seem to remember.....it would shoot 1" groups at 100yds if I concentrated and did my bit but average was around 1.5-2.0".

I don't have it any more as I don't have the time to use it, I remember it would feed well with the 10 round mags but struggled with the larger 30 round mags.....I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one, but the usual caveats apply if buying secondhand..........enjoy !

Regards, Rob. 

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

So you think its good for rats out to 100yards? 

I know the accuracy of the cz 455 is well known, although you don't see much about 10/22 accuracy at 100. 

The benefits of a quick follow up shot with a semi auto appeals to me although i don't want to buy one and be disappointed that it doesn't do the job i need it to do.

Bolts are generally more accurate and less ammo fussy. The rimfire magic , Magpul  stock and volquartsen barrel does look like a neat combination.

If I can recall it’s around a 1” group at 75yards. But obviously that’s only using CCI non match ammo. Trouble is any wind and or the extreme spread of rimfire ammo something can go amiss fairly easily. 

Magpul / volquartsen is a great combo indeed. Being light, semi auto & accurate makes it a great tool. I just run a red dot sight on mine now. My thoughts are if the main use is around 50 yards with occasional stretching out to 100yards you can’t go wrong with the Rimfire Magic. If your consistently shooting at 100yards and require the best accuracy for the small kill zone that is a rat you might be better off with the bolt action. 

My vote..... have both semi & bolt action! 

Definitely agree with the above........got to be marginal on rats at 100yds.

If you're static with a great rest and solid comfortable position then give it a go, but if you're wandering around or shooting out of, or off the bonnet of a vehicle, then too many variables at 100 yds with the semi auto........probably marginal IMO with a 22lr of any flavour.

Regards, Rob.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies and pic. Great advice.

Bolt and semi would be nice, if money was no problem.

Which moderator have you fitted?.

Did you both test a lot of ammo before finding the best one that suited the rifle/

thanks 

Mod - A-Tec Wave. Light, cheap (£35) and works. If you got the 16" variant, I would consider the Wildcat Panther as you have room for it to reflex down. 

As for ammo, not really. Both CCI Mini-mags & subs worked for me. Relatively cheap and available locally for me. I tried SK match ammo, but it being covered in waxy residue it gummed up the action very quickly. I tried a friends Winchester Subs once and didn't perform well. Rodger as SYSS also recommend CCI & Eley subs if I recall.

A-tec sounds a good choice, i prefer the end of barrel mods.

I was thinking of the LEI stainless, nice looking and good quality, although It does not seem that you can take it apart to clean it, which seems ridiculous at £150.

3 hours ago, bear said:

What accuracy do you get from it at 100 yards?

Ill be looking at average 1.5 to 2 inches at that distance putting it through a Sig 522. To be honest most of the time it’s way less distance than that doing pest control work at night. I use normal eley subsonic in my 1427 and it will normally hold an inch at around 100 yds but won’t cycle the 522 reliably.