tikka m590

Guest sako

after my last project i decided to find a tikka m590 after a bit of searching i found a tikka Continental in 243 in good condition

i gave col48 a ring and told him what i was after and this is the end product

start tikka 243 Continental

IMG_0858.jpg

tikka m590 6x47

Lother Walther 1400 barrel 25" 1 in 8 twist

Mcmillan Sako hunter stock

Fluted bolt

Badger bolt knob

Bedding job

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

bedded

IMG_1490.jpg

a big thanks to colin

Looks good

Can I ask a couple of questions?

What barrel profile did you choose?

Why did you decide to straight flute the bolt?

Why a McMillian stock?

I am a bit of a tikka fan ,having had so many over the years , you have done justice to this one buddy it looks fantasticwell done to you and Col, have you also had the trigger done?

When Dasherman did my BR from a Tikka 595 he did a great job on the trigger, makes a big difference.

Let us know how it shoots,will lookforward to it .

Thanks for sharing :lol:

Looks good

Can I ask a couple of questions?

What barrel profile did you choose?

Why did you decide to straight flute the bolt?

Why a McMillian stock?

hi jarvis

the barrel profile is a #1400

straight flutes was the only ones available at a reasonable price, as i have only just started getting spiral fluting done.and i think you will be hard pressed to find it at the price i get it done for.

mcmillan stock, well they are without doubt the best out there :lol:

ATB

Colin :lol:

Colin

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the LW categorisation of profiles, some can you offer a direct US comparison.

Whilst I appreciate you were responsible for facilitating the build I'd prefer it if Sako explained his decision making process. That way we're not just focusing on what you're capable of supplying and your prices.

I'm more interested in the whys not the whats.

Thanx

J

Colin

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the LW categorisation of profiles, some can you offer a direct US comparison.

Whilst I appreciate you were responsible for facilitating the build I'd prefer it if Sako explained his decision making process. That way we're not just focusing on what you're capable of supplying and your prices.

I'm more interested in the whys not the whats.

Thanx

J

OK

http://www.lothar-walther.de/3.php

http://www.pac-nor.com/

ps he wanted a fluted bolt,but no one could do the job.

Colin

Hi Sako,

very interesting project and good looking rifle as well! Hope you have many enjoyable moments with it. A quick question:

As the proud owner of a M590 (LH, in 6mmBR) myself, I was very much interested in the stock you got from McMillan. Can you let me know the model and how did you get McMillan to mill one for this action? I cannot find it in their catalogue

best wishes,

Finman

Colin

Thanks for the links.

Really no one could do the fluting??????????

Jarvis

now you should really make up your mind,do you want me to answer or not. :lol:

as for the fluting then i refer you to my original reply where you told me that you did not want to see/here my prices (which i never posted) but I'm afraid it is all relevant other wise i would not have mentioned it.

IE he was quoted £200 for the bolt to be spiral fluted. :lol:

ATB

I take it that there is no other reason for fluting of the bolt other than asthetics?

It is purely for aesthetics on a factory rifle.

But as the tolerances are tighter on a custom action the flutes help to direct any that which promotes growth and vigour that gets in your action out the way and it to the flutes,this should stop you getting the bolt jammed out in the field.

it has nothing to do with weight saving.

ATB

Colin

It was a rhetorical question. But thanks for the answer anyway. I'll await Sakos reply as to the why.

What was "I'm afraid it is all relevant other wise i would not have mentioned it." Thats not a rhetorical question by the way. :lol:

re: Fluting.

Colin you're contradicting yourself here. First you say "but no one could do the job" now you say Sako was quoted for the work. If he was quote the price you say I can see why you have started getting it done for customers.

Thanks for filling in the gaps its appreciated.

It is purely for aesthetics on a factory rifle.

But as the tolerances are tighter on a custom action the flutes help to direct any that which promotes growth and vigour that gets in your action out the way and it to the flutes,this should stop you getting the bolt jammed out in the field.

it has nothing to do with weight saving.

ATB

Surely on the forward stoke any that which promotes growth and vigour in the action is first contacted by the lugs, bolt face and forward unfluted section of the bolt.If you had that much that which promotes growth and vigour in the action to impede the rearward stroke you would know about it before hand.

Those that I personally know that have had bolts fluted have done so purely for aesthetics or fractional weight reductions in order ensure the rifles in question remained under the weight categories for the chosen competition rules.

Whilst I quite like the look of spiral fluted bolts I can't afford them. :lol:

Colin

It was a rhetorical question. But thanks for the answer anyway. I'll await Sakos reply as to the why.

Rhetorical question. :lol:

ye right this is a rhetorical question :lol: , >quote Really no one could do the fluting??????????< i surpose all them question marks where not there :lol:

What was "I'm afraid it is all relevant other wise i would not have mentioned it." Thats not a rhetorical question by the way. :lol:

re: Fluting.

Colin you're contradicting yourself here. First you say "but no one could do the job" Like i say make up your mind harry.you asked me not to mention money,so i did not, but as you can see it was the price that stoped him,as i was not doing them at the time :D

now you say Sako was quoted for the work. If he was quote the price you say I can see why you have started getting it done for customers.

Thanks for filling in the gaps its appreciated.

all ways a plesuer to help you out Harry. :lol:

;)

Surely on the forward stoke any that which promotes growth and vigour in the action is first contacted by the lugs, bolt face and forward unfluted section of the bolt.If you had that much that which promotes growth and vigour in the action to impede the rearward stroke you would know about it before hand.

Those that I personally know that have had bolts fluted have done so purely for aesthetics or fractional weight reductions in order ensure the rifles in question remained under the weight categories for the chosen competition rules.

Whilst I quite like the look of spiral fluted bolts I can't afford them. :lol:

Harry

have you done any shooting (Rhetorical) :lol: as i don't know how you Carry your rifle,or how you use it,but if i was you and your bolt was open i would refrain from pushing the bolt forward wile your action is full on that which promotes growth and vigour. :lol:

and if you are crawling around with your bolt open and filling your action up again with that which promotes growth and vigour,I'm afraid fluting will not do you any good at all.

but if you do what the rest of us do,and carry your rifle with the bolt closed,then any that which promotes growth and vigour will have to go in past the bolt body.

and if you care to look you will see your bolt travels up wards with out moving in or out,this slides any crap in to the flute and stops it being pushed in to the chamber.

now it will not stop everything but it will help.

now Harry do we have to do this every time(rhetorical)

i have put in brackets where they are rhetorical questions as this all so is a concept you have failed to comprehend. :lol::lol::D

ATB

Colin ;)

PS it makes no difference if you can afford to have your bolt fluted or not,as you will be hard pressed to get anyone to do your work.

i have not nor will i forget what you said to Ian.

Colin

Your obsession with all things Harry is well known. Just because I pointed out your contradictory posts seems to have triggered off your antagonistic obsession yet again. :wacko:

I don't know how you stalk but if I need to crawl in to a beast I do so with the rifle bolt closed and the handle on the up facing side. It saves on running the risk of accidentally opening the bolt on some unseen hazard or obstruction and keeps the crud out of the action its self. That was the way I was trained :D

You are of course at liberty to stalk in any way you choose . If that necessitates dragging your rifle through the crud with the bolt handle on the down side there by filling it to the brim with debris please don't let me stop you. Somehow I don't think fluting would help all that much though.

The remark regarding cost of fluting was more of a light hearted quip than an actuality. I could of course afford one if I wanted along with having plenty of people willing to do the work.

Ladies,

Foolish of me to join in, but it may be of relevance to consider the bolt upgrades that took place in developing the L96 into the AW. Amongst them, err, grooves in the bolt :wacko: The purpose of the grooves? To prevent the bolt binding on crud and shite.

Draw your own conclusions :D

Very nice rifle by the way. One of these days, a left handed one of those..... :)

One thing; the tikka actions just shout 'one-piece weaver rail' at me. Anyone doing those in UK?

Browndog

I for one appreciate your comments. A slightly different intended usage scenario though in regards the AW and a run of the mill stalking rifle. But I take your point.

It just helps to reaffirms my liking for the look of deep grooved spiral bolts.

I'm sure some one does one-piece weaver rails.Which I like also.

Thanx

J

Archived