Offensive Weapons Bill and Emigrating to Canada

Hi everyone, 

I'm a long time lurker on this site and it has been a valuable resource for me over the last five years. I've learned a lot and had much enjoyment reading through the posts on this site. The reason I've started a post is to seek some advice and to sell some kit.

I'm emigrating to Canada in 3 months so will be selling off  all my rifles and most other accessories (I'll create a post in the relevant section rather than go into detail here), but the one issue I have is that I have an SGC 9mm lever release rifle which I'm not sure what to do with. Its looking like the offensive weapons bill is going to get passed which renders the gun worthless and it doesn't look like I'll be in the country long enough for the compensation program to be put into place.

Is there anything I can do that will allow me to store/loan the rifle in order to get the compensation or am I going to have to hand it in to the police and essentially right it off?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks again for the years of entertainment and information.

As nothing has been announced yet, I would wait as long as possible then do the thing no one ever does.....speak to your licensing Dept and get their advice on how to proceed, or write a letter to the Home Office, you'll find them very helpful

39 minutes ago, The Other Monkey said:

Was wondering whether that would be a viable route to take, but I'm not sure what will happen with my FAC when I become non-resident. Not sure if I have to surrender it when I no longer have a UK address.

Once again.....speak to your Licensing Dept, but do surrender it when you leave, I recently had a situation where I bought some rifles off an old friend who moved to Thailand, 3 years later he hadn't told them and it only came to light when someone informed their Dept they'd bought one of the guns, but the Police thought the previous owner was still the owner.

We had a chat and they cancelled his FAC there and then, but it was unnecessary aggro

14 hours ago, Moorlander said:

As lever release are currently sect 1 could they be converted by an RFD to straight pull ? if so problem solved , however if you waited for them to become sect 5 then you could not convert them to sect 1 , just a thought.

Or, get the compensation, then buy a dedicated straight pull to your own spec and keep the change! 

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

The pistol compensation was fair. Unless you have inside knowledge of the compensation scheme which hasn't even been written yet, then you are simply just guessing.

It's the way it is.....just like suggesting converting a blow back 9mm to straight pull with no idea of how many major components need changing...or if it's even doable, which it isn't, unless you want to convert a £2000 rifle into a £1500 one 🤣

3 minutes ago, MrCetirizine said:

That's not what I was told by everyone at my club who had pistols taken.

Mine was fair, but you will always get those dissatisfied with anything and everything

16 minutes ago, Moorlander said:

Assuming compensation is offered 🙄 .

Compensation is cited in the legislation for all those owned before a certain date.

My pistol compensation was very fair too. If I believed everything that was said at my gun club I'd never leave the house! I would suggest anyone who didn't get fair pistol compensation didn't follow the guidelines

Archived